5.0 out of 5 stars Better than most beginers' books about crochet
The book contains a series of sample designs to create 6" crocheted squares. A square is large enough to practice different stitches, techniques, colour combinations, and designs patterns. They can then be mixed and matched and sewn together to form blankets.

This book is better than two beginners' crochet books that I bought. It could be marketed as a...
Published on 29 Jan 2008 by Pink Gilbert

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but its 125 patterns, 200 examples.
It has some wonderful ideas for blocks, mostly done by making coloured shapes with in it. However, disapointingly, there are not 200 unique patterns.

The first 100 are unique, after 100, they come in waves of 4, so theres only 25 different squares. However, it does show how to combine them to make interesting patterns using the same squares.

Im...
Published on 30 Jun 2006 by Liz

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking crochet!, 10 Feb 2009
This review is from: 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix-and-Match (Paperback)
I ordered this book because I have been crocheting a blanket/throw for my eldest son; the old blanket was one I made when I was pregnant with him, he is soon to be 26! I wanted to have a bit of variety in the pattern of the blanket; plus, carrying around the incomplete blanket when it gets larger is quite heavy and tiresome! With the smaller squares you can even crochet on the bus. This book is ideal for what I want; it gives clear examples of the squares and how to create them, as well as numerous techniques for stitches, chains, linking squares etc. As I am not a novice I obviously know a lot of these already, but it is still an interesting book to read, clearly written and with excellent photos to see what your work should end up looking like ;-) As I have just finished my son's blanket and now need to make one for my younger son, two for my grand-children, one for my niece, and one for my husband.... I had better get to work!

4.0 out of 5 stars British beware, 18 Jan 2005
By A Customer
I found this book confusing at first, until I realised that it is American, and that american crochet uses different terminology. What I've always known to be a double crochet, is refered to as a single crochet, and treble is called a double crochet. Once I'd got my head round this, I've found this to be an excellant book

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU MUST BUY THIS BOOK!, 4 Sep 2009
This is a totally fantastic book, especially if you are new to the art of crochet. AND, it uses ENGLISH terminology rather than American, which saves all the hassle of translating it all! A really interesting, colourful, clearly written book, with easy to follow patterns, and great colour combinations. This was the first crochet book that I ever bought, and I love it. It certainly encouraged me to get to grips with all the stitches and techniques and now I can attempt anything! You really must add this to your collection if you have any interest in crochet at all!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!! (Wanted to give it four and a half stars), 28 Mar 2006
Really lovely, clear, well-presented and utterly sumptious book. I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for inspiration or just want to drool.
Only given it four stars because the "easy" patterns aren't really what I'd call beginner projects - I had to search online for more comprehensive instructions on how to get the hang of crochetting before I could start working. To be honest, this is really only a minor niggle with the book and I would give it four and a half out of five, but Amazon don't do half marks!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Squares can have fun!, 22 July 2009
This book is easy to follow for begginers as well as people who have not crocheted in years such as me. I found it only took me an hour to make a simple square, so for people who can only find a short time to give this craft it can be rewarding as you can produce a complete item in no time at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing..., 26 April 2012
The title of the book is quite misleading - there are not 200 different patterns of square, there are actually about 115, the remainder are colour schemes listed as squares. This is quite a let down! I am quite capable of coming up with my own colour combinations, and imagine most other readers are too! I was very excited awaiting my copy of this book as a birthday gift, and must admit it was something of an anti climax when it arrived. I also received another book on Granny Squares, also bought via Amazon, and it knocks spots off this one by including information such as clear guides on how to do some of the stitches used, plus additional projects past blankets and throws.

5.0 out of 5 stars 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans, 13 Feb 2011
I teach crochet to anyone, beginners and advanced.

I have had 3 beginners who showed interest in making Granny Square Afghans.
The first question I was asked is - What is a Granny Square? -.
I did explain it to them, and the next question was - Are there different patterns for Granny Squares? -.

What better answer did I have then to show them my book of 200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton. That was it, they fell in love with the multitude of patterns and within a couple of days are now merrily crocheting lovely squares themselves.

The beauty of this book is that it is so simple to follow and beautifully illustrated that 2 of the 3 beginners have bought a book each. The 3rd is making dolls clothes.

All patterns could be made by using any bits of spare wool and don't have to be
symetrical in pattern as far as the colour is concerned.

I have placed a photo of some patterns from the book that the girls have crocheted. I think they look beautiful and a good effort by them.

[[ASIN:0715321412 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans: Crochet
Squares to Mix-and-Match]]

5.0 out of 5 stars 200 crochet blocks for blankets thows and afghans, 17 Aug 2009
J. Clifford - See all my reviews
This is a very good book I am new to crocheting and this book gives very clear instructions and loads of ideas. So pleased with this book I have also gone for knitted blocks by Jan Eaton

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use crochet book, 17 Mar 2009
This is an easy to use book with lots of crochet blocks for different ability users from simple granny squares to more complex patterns. I am really enjoying trying out designs which are new to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars created an obsessive, 19 Feb 2007
Tara de Cozar "crochet queen" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This book basically taught me how to crochet, and the different designs are great for practising stitches (clusters, popcorns, bobbles etc). Only problem I had was that it mentioned crochting 'on the wrong side' when making bobbles, and there was no explanations for this.

The colours are beautiful though, and I think struggling a little helps you learn - it certainly gave me a real sense of achievement. I am now a crochet obsessive, and have even taken to making flowers in my lunch hour at work...

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›