5.0 out of 5 stars Better than most beginers' books about crochet
The book contains a series of sample designs to create 6" crocheted squares. A square is large enough to practice different stitches, techniques, colour combinations, and designs patterns. They can then be mixed and matched and sewn together to form blankets.

This book is better than two beginners' crochet books that I bought. It could be marketed as a...
Published on 29 Jan. 2008 by Pink Gilbert

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but its 125 patterns, 200 examples.
It has some wonderful ideas for blocks, mostly done by making coloured shapes with in it. However, disapointingly, there are not 200 unique patterns.

The first 100 are unique, after 100, they come in waves of 4, so theres only 25 different squares. However, it does show how to combine them to make interesting patterns using the same squares.

Im...
Published on 30 Jun. 2006 by Liz

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good inspiration, 16 May 2007
This review is from: 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix-and-Match (Paperback)
I bought this book as a beginner and found it full of great inspiration, even some of my more experienced friends want to borrow it to try some new designs. The only disappointing thing is that by the end lots of them are just different colour combinations and it doesn't give you any idea how much wool you'll need, but i'm glad i bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU MUST BUY THIS BOOK!, 4 Sept. 2009
This is a totally fantastic book, especially if you are new to the art of crochet. AND, it uses ENGLISH terminology rather than American, which saves all the hassle of translating it all! A really interesting, colourful, clearly written book, with easy to follow patterns, and great colour combinations. This was the first crochet book that I ever bought, and I love it. It certainly encouraged me to get to grips with all the stitches and techniques and now I can attempt anything! You really must add this to your collection if you have any interest in crochet at all!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!! (Wanted to give it four and a half stars), 28 Mar. 2006
Really lovely, clear, well-presented and utterly sumptious book. I'd highly recommend it if you're looking for inspiration or just want to drool.
Only given it four stars because the "easy" patterns aren't really what I'd call beginner projects - I had to search online for more comprehensive instructions on how to get the hang of crochetting before I could start working. To be honest, this is really only a minor niggle with the book and I would give it four and a half out of five, but Amazon don't do half marks!!

4.0 out of 5 stars British beware, 18 Jan. 2005
By A Customer
I found this book confusing at first, until I realised that it is American, and that american crochet uses different terminology. What I've always known to be a double crochet, is refered to as a single crochet, and treble is called a double crochet. Once I'd got my head round this, I've found this to be an excellant book

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 20 Jan. 2007
I think this is a great book. Some innovative and creative blocks and modern suggestions re using colour. I hadn't crocheted for a long time and once I got back into the swing of it, I found this book was a great springboard for developing my own ideas. I like the symbols by each block. I particulary liked the coding that shows you which colour wool to use.

I am using a loan copy at the moment(just ordered one for keeps) and it uses British terminology.

I think i will get a lot of use from this little book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Squares can have fun!, 22 July 2009
This book is easy to follow for begginers as well as people who have not crocheted in years such as me. I found it only took me an hour to make a simple square, so for people who can only find a short time to give this craft it can be rewarding as you can produce a complete item in no time at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational Book, 31 July 2011
Although it contains basic crochet instructions, this is not really a 'How to' book. If, like me, you can do basic crochet, it is a wonderful book for encouraging you to try more advanced techniques. The blocks graded I are quite simple and you are soon tempted to try blocks graded II. If you have never followed a crochet pattern before, then this is a good place to start. The instructions are all written using British crochet terms rather than American. Both written instructions and charts are very clear. I looked through the book for hours trying to decide which block to make first and I still do keep going back to look again. I'm so pleased that I bought it and wish I had done so sooner.

An absolute novice could get started using this book but I think it would be better to buy Jan Eaton's Encyclopedia of Crochet first.

4.0 out of 5 stars created an obsessive, 19 Feb. 2007
Tara de Cozar "crochet queen" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This book basically taught me how to crochet, and the different designs are great for practising stitches (clusters, popcorns, bobbles etc). Only problem I had was that it mentioned crochting 'on the wrong side' when making bobbles, and there was no explanations for this.

The colours are beautiful though, and I think struggling a little helps you learn - it certainly gave me a real sense of achievement. I am now a crochet obsessive, and have even taken to making flowers in my lunch hour at work...

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to follow for a first time crochet-er, 8 Oct. 2009
R. Ramos "Triskel" (Luton, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is well laid out. The majority of the book is dedicated to the 200 crochet blocks. The instructions are easy to follow with a good description on how to do the basic stiches - perfect for a complete beginner like me. Colour-ways and potential projects are also discussed at the beginning of the book. The only criticsm I have - and it's a very minor one is that although there are 200 crochet blocks illustrated some of them are repeated patterns - same stiching used throughout, but colour introduced in different places. Other than that a very good book, easy to read, clear instructions, with each block illustrated in colour and with the same block illustrated in other colour-ways also.

5.0 out of 5 stars You really need this book, 20 Jun. 2010
C. Leek-Dyer - See all my reviews
A brilliant selection of 6" squares from beginner to advanced. There is a staggering array of individual patterns, along with a small selection of project ideas from cushion covers to full double bed spreads.
Patterns are clear although a complete novice would do well to have a 'how to' book to hand. The possiblities for projects are limited only by your imagination, as long as it can be broken down into squares! Advanced crocheters will find plenty to stimulate their projects file, while yarn addicts will find the green light for creating many things with that stash that's not quite big enough for clothing!
I have been randomly crocheting squares with the excuse of making a wedding present, but have found myself putting squares aside for myself...
There are many individual designs, as well as the same design shown in different colour combinations which I think are invaluable as they really change the nature of the square and if you had to crochet up every square with different dark/light combinations it would take quite a bit of wool.
All in all a must have to dip into whether you need quick present from what's lying around, or a real year long challenge for your sister's wedding present.

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›