5.0 out of 5 stars Better than most beginers' books about crochet
The book contains a series of sample designs to create 6" crocheted squares. A square is large enough to practice different stitches, techniques, colour combinations, and designs patterns. They can then be mixed and matched and sewn together to form blankets.

Published on 29 Jan 2008 by Pink Gilbert

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but its 125 patterns, 200 examples.
It has some wonderful ideas for blocks, mostly done by making coloured shapes with in it. However, disapointingly, there are not 200 unique patterns.

The first 100 are unique, after 100, they come in waves of 4, so theres only 25 different squares. However, it does show how to combine them to make interesting patterns using the same squares.

Im...
Published on 30 Jun 2006 by Liz

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than most beginers' books about crochet, 29 Jan 2008
Pink Gilbert (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix-and-Match (Paperback)

This book is better than two beginners' crochet books that I bought. It could be marketed as a beginners' book if a few more instructions were added such as how to increase stitches, add zips and creating button holes so that patterns could be adapted to make waistcoats or pillow cases.

This book is well conceived and clearly displayed. I have always wanted to crochet a few blankets and a few smaller ones for my pets, this book will ensure that I won't get bored for some time to come. Some of the designs are stunning.

My only real criticism is that when explaining a new stitch there needs to be a picture for EVERY step and EVERY movement of the hook or yarn. If there were more pictures I wouldn't have to scratch my head so much. For me a picture is worth a thousand words so I also find pictorial crochet diagrams easier to understand than text as it is easy for me to miss out a crucial step when reading text.

This is a brilliant book that I know I will be using for years to come. However, I might just have to ask someone more experienced whether I am getting a stitch right, otherwise I might accidentally invent my own stitches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of afghan squares, 6 Feb 2007
S. L. Long (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
If you like making afghans and want to expand your library of squares, this book is excellent. The only thing I took exception to was that just changing colours deemed the square a new one and it was counted in the 200 even though the design was exactly the same. Excellent book even with that and one I will keep in my crochet library forever.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but its 125 patterns, 200 examples., 30 Jun 2006

Im still glad I bought it though

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS BOOK, 29 Nov 2008
Mrs. D. L. Hatch "MoonAngel" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely clear book. I have been crocheting granny squares for the last 30 odd years (since I was VERY young) I have never been shown bobbles, clusters, puffs and popcorns but found the instructions easy to follow. I am now once again hooked on crochet having always preferred knitting. I love this book and cant put it down, ever spare moment is now spent chrocheting, even the children have to go to bed early so I can crochet in peace!!!! If you know the basics of crochet then I think this is a book you cant be without, its an inspiration

5.0 out of 5 stars "Go for it" crochet, 5 Oct 2004
Ms. E. S. J. Webb "edith7" (England) - See all my reviews
This book is absolutely fantastic! With clear, clean photographs; easy to follow details; inspirational colours, this book is just full of life. By simply giving you the instructions for 200 squares and several different colour ways, the choice is yours to create your individual patterens. If you have ever thought that crochet was boring then you have been reading the wrong book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book of Inspiration, 25 Feb 2007
I bought this book on impulse. I was looking for a book of knitting technique! I used to make what I now know to be Granny squares with my Mum when I was a teenager. They were eventually sewn together to form a blanket of many colours, not necessarily complimentary!!

I had forgotten all about crochet until I saw this book. The colours used in the examples and the many different patterns had instant appeal. Since the book arrived I've done nothing else in my spare time. I'm hooked ;')

I think the beginner patterns are very easy, I'm onto the next level now and have just had success making my first bobble square. My only problem is the tension. As yet I've not got the correct size although I've tried 2 different hook sizes. I think I will have to order a different brand of hook and try those because I know different brands make a difference.

If you like the picture on the cover, buy the book. You'll enjoy it. It's fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 20 Jan 2007
I think this is a great book. Some innovative and creative blocks and modern suggestions re using colour. I hadn't crocheted for a long time and once I got back into the swing of it, I found this book was a great springboard for developing my own ideas. I like the symbols by each block. I particulary liked the coding that shows you which colour wool to use.

I am using a loan copy at the moment(just ordered one for keeps) and it uses British terminology.

I think i will get a lot of use from this little book.

4.0 out of 5 stars created an obsessive, 19 Feb 2007
Tara de Cozar "crochet queen" (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This book basically taught me how to crochet, and the different designs are great for practising stitches (clusters, popcorns, bobbles etc). Only problem I had was that it mentioned crochting 'on the wrong side' when making bobbles, and there was no explanations for this.

The colours are beautiful though, and I think struggling a little helps you learn - it certainly gave me a real sense of achievement. I am now a crochet obsessive, and have even taken to making flowers in my lunch hour at work...

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginner confusion, 7 Sep 2006
E. B. Bowen - See all my reviews
The 'How to Start' instructions are confusing, where it states that '...its usual to work crochet stitches under both loops of the stitches made on the previous row...', the illustrations of the stitches however, show that the hook is inserted under one loop only. I needed therefore, to check another 'Learn to Crochet' book. Aside from this, it is a lovely book and I have bought another one as a gift for an experienced crocheting friend.I think I am going to enjoy trying the different patterns and stitches.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good inspiration, 16 May 2007
Ms. R. Clarke "crafty girl" (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as a beginner and found it full of great inspiration, even some of my more experienced friends want to borrow it to try some new designs. The only disappointing thing is that by the end lots of them are just different colour combinations and it doesn't give you any idea how much wool you'll need, but i'm glad i bought it.

ARRAY(0xa6ad72d0)