5.0 out of 5 stars Better than most beginers' books about crochet
The book contains a series of sample designs to create 6" crocheted squares. A square is large enough to practice different stitches, techniques, colour combinations, and designs patterns. They can then be mixed and matched and sewn together to form blankets.

Published on 29 Jan 2008 by Pink Gilbert

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but its 125 patterns, 200 examples.
It has some wonderful ideas for blocks, mostly done by making coloured shapes with in it. However, disapointingly, there are not 200 unique patterns.

The first 100 are unique, after 100, they come in waves of 4, so theres only 25 different squares. However, it does show how to combine them to make interesting patterns using the same squares.

Im...
Published on 30 Jun 2006 by Liz

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than most beginers' books about crochet, 29 Jan 2008
Pink Gilbert (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix-and-Match (Paperback)

This book is better than two beginners' crochet books that I bought. It could be marketed as a beginners' book if a few more instructions were added such as how to increase stitches, add zips and creating button holes so that patterns could be adapted to make waistcoats or pillow cases.

This book is well conceived and clearly displayed. I have always wanted to crochet a few blankets and a few smaller ones for my pets, this book will ensure that I won't get bored for some time to come. Some of the designs are stunning.

My only real criticism is that when explaining a new stitch there needs to be a picture for EVERY step and EVERY movement of the hook or yarn. If there were more pictures I wouldn't have to scratch my head so much. For me a picture is worth a thousand words so I also find pictorial crochet diagrams easier to understand than text as it is easy for me to miss out a crucial step when reading text.

This is a brilliant book that I know I will be using for years to come. However, I might just have to ask someone more experienced whether I am getting a stitch right, otherwise I might accidentally invent my own stitches.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book but its 125 patterns, 200 examples., 30 Jun 2006

Im still glad I bought it though

5.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS BOOK, 29 Nov 2008
Mrs. D. L. Hatch "MoonAngel" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This is a lovely clear book. I have been crocheting granny squares for the last 30 odd years (since I was VERY young) I have never been shown bobbles, clusters, puffs and popcorns but found the instructions easy to follow. I am now once again hooked on crochet having always preferred knitting. I love this book and cant put it down, ever spare moment is now spent chrocheting, even the children have to go to bed early so I can crochet in peace!!!! If you know the basics of crochet then I think this is a book you cant be without, its an inspiration

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of afghan squares, 6 Feb 2007
If you like making afghans and want to expand your library of squares, this book is excellent. The only thing I took exception to was that just changing colours deemed the square a new one and it was counted in the 200 even though the design was exactly the same. Excellent book even with that and one I will keep in my crochet library forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Go for it" crochet, 5 Oct 2004
Ms. E. S. J. Webb "edith7" (England) - See all my reviews
This book is absolutely fantastic! With clear, clean photographs; easy to follow details; inspirational colours, this book is just full of life. By simply giving you the instructions for 200 squares and several different colour ways, the choice is yours to create your individual patterens. If you have ever thought that crochet was boring then you have been reading the wrong book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book of Inspiration, 25 Feb 2007
I bought this book on impulse. I was looking for a book of knitting technique! I used to make what I now know to be Granny squares with my Mum when I was a teenager. They were eventually sewn together to form a blanket of many colours, not necessarily complimentary!!

I had forgotten all about crochet until I saw this book. The colours used in the examples and the many different patterns had instant appeal. Since the book arrived I've done nothing else in my spare time. I'm hooked ;')

I think the beginner patterns are very easy, I'm onto the next level now and have just had success making my first bobble square. My only problem is the tension. As yet I've not got the correct size although I've tried 2 different hook sizes. I think I will have to order a different brand of hook and try those because I know different brands make a difference.

If you like the picture on the cover, buy the book. You'll enjoy it. It's fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 30 Dec 2009
Annette Ciccarelli "Studio AC" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
Bought this book and The Encyclopedia of Crochet by the same author for myself for Christmas and I love them both! I picked up my hook in September this year to kill seven hours lay over at Bristol airport on my way to my best friends wedding. Since that day I am completely hooked!!! I have produced a handful of great items and am now looking forward to start my first square blanket project with help from this book. And I am a beginner! Learning fast! And this book is perfect for someone like me. It inspires you, gives you easy to follow instructions, helps you combine colors and patterns and much much more. I also love the layout. As a previous graphic designer I always look for functional, stylish and simple design and that is exactly how this book is made. Easy to find what you are looking for, no messing around. I very much recommend this book to anyone who loves crocheting. And did I mention it is affordable?

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginner confusion, 7 Sep 2006
E. B. Bowen - See all my reviews
The 'How to Start' instructions are confusing, where it states that '...its usual to work crochet stitches under both loops of the stitches made on the previous row...', the illustrations of the stitches however, show that the hook is inserted under one loop only. I needed therefore, to check another 'Learn to Crochet' book. Aside from this, it is a lovely book and I have bought another one as a gift for an experienced crocheting friend.I think I am going to enjoy trying the different patterns and stitches.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing..., 26 April 2012
The title of the book is quite misleading - there are not 200 different patterns of square, there are actually about 115, the remainder are colour schemes listed as squares. This is quite a let down! I am quite capable of coming up with my own colour combinations, and imagine most other readers are too! I was very excited awaiting my copy of this book as a birthday gift, and must admit it was something of an anti climax when it arrived. I also received another book on Granny Squares, also bought via Amazon, and it knocks spots off this one by including information such as clear guides on how to do some of the stitches used, plus additional projects past blankets and throws.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good inspiration, 16 May 2007
I bought this book as a beginner and found it full of great inspiration, even some of my more experienced friends want to borrow it to try some new designs. The only disappointing thing is that by the end lots of them are just different colour combinations and it doesn't give you any idea how much wool you'll need, but i'm glad i bought it.