5.0 out of 5 stars A must for learners
Published on 25 May 2009 by JeJo

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 stars are for the quality not content - please read review
I originally borrowed this book from our local library and used it to create the blackwork chessboard, which is gorgeous.

Published 20 months ago by Mrs. Alison Wakeman

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for learners, 25 May 2009
JeJo (Northumberland, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Anchor Book of Blackwork Embroidery Stitches: Techniques and Designs (The New Anchor Embroidery Series) (Paperback)
I had never done Blackwork before.I bought a Blackwork kit and couldn't make head nor tail of where to start.I bought this book and since I have managed to do many blackwork pictures. It explains how to start the patterns and acheive lovely pieces of work.I still wouldn't be with out this book.I also went on to design my own work with the help of this book.I have recommended this book to many of my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars When you want somethig new., 11 Sep 2009
Blackwork was absolutely new for me until I I bought this book.I do like Jacobean and Goldwork but I wanted to learn something new.My choice was to find new techniques that I could combine with Goldwork or use just simple design separately. The New Anchor Book of Blackwork covered everything that I needed.First of all it is simle explanation about very basic techniques and easy to follow instructions.Materials and Equipment chapter gives full description about fabrics,threads,needles and some useful extras that could be very useful for beginners or experienced embroiderers. With 48 fillings and 4 borders you can easyly design your own project.The New Anchor Book of Blackwork Embroidery Stitches: Techniques and Designs (The New Anchor Embroidery Series)

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 stars are for the quality not content - please read review, 9 Nov 2012
Mrs. Alison Wakeman (Shropshire) - See all my reviews

The instructions are very clear and most enjoyable. This book is excellent for those new to blackwork and includes 48 suggested 'fillings' as well as a few borders. There are little samples to create too. Like I mentioned, the chessboard is gorgeous and fun to make.

My 'issue' with this copy from Amazon is the shoddy quality of the product. It's not much thicker than a magazine cover and the paper quality throughout is poor. Very disappointing as this copy is actually for a birthday present. I am contacting the publishers to give my comments about this, although it appears to have been printed by Amazon. I wouldn't mind but I paid only slightly less than the cover price. Not good Amazon, tut tut

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Anchor Book of Blackwork Embroidery Stitches: Techniques and Designs (The New Anchor Embroidery Series), 6 Nov 2011
Excellent book for the beginner, the instruction were clear and well illustrated. I started the chess board to practice the stitches, it was a quick way to finish a first project.

4.0 out of 5 stars Black work, 26 May 2013
I like this book. Never done black work always favoured cross stitch. But after seeing this book I'm already trying to do it. I'm pleased with it and sure I will do more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 13 Mar 2014
As usual Anchor have produced An easy to understand book.
Each type of stitch is explained well with great pictures so its easy to learn . Some lovely small projects to start learning black work as well.
Definitely would recommend to anyone who wants to learn black work stitches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black work, 3 Feb 2014
Excellent book for beginners of which I am one . It describes starting stitches and showing lots of filling stitches and what they look like when done. Good book by anchor

5.0 out of 5 stars Black work heaven, 11 Aug 2013
Rainbow (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This book contains some lovely designs and is helpful to you if you are new to black work. I would recommend this book as it has designs to suit both new and advanced users.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 15 May 2013
I chose this book as I wanted to learn the different techniques and stitches required to do this beautiful craft.

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD, 5 May 2013
This was bought for my wife and she has found it very helpful. I am seeing the results all around me!