5.0 out of 5 stars A source of inspiration
142 pages packed with patterns.
Begins with an interesting section on the origin of sashiko.
Projects range from easy through to expert, and are colour coded to make them easy to follow. Instructions are clear and substitutes are suggested for the traditional needles, fabrics and threads if these are hard to find.
Plenty of explanation plus inspirational...
Published on 15 Dec. 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars More designs than you could shake a stick at!
This book more than lives up to its title, with a huge range of sashiko patterns and instructions on how to stitch them. I did not find the instructions on how to make the projects as helpful as I would have expected though.
Published on 11 Nov. 2010 by Serendipitous reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A source of inspiration, 15 Dec. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook: Patterns, Projects and Inspirations (Paperback)
142 pages packed with patterns.
Begins with an interesting section on the origin of sashiko.
Plenty of explanation plus inspirational designs from experts.
Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars best hand stitching book ever!, 1 April 2009
Jan Louise Adams "Crafterjan" (County Galway, Ireland) - See all my reviews
When I purchased The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook: Patterns, Projects and Inspirations by Susan Briscoe, I was looking for a book that would be a permanent feature in my stitchery library. I couldn't believe how inspirational it turned out to be! The directions are easy to understand and follow; the photographs are wonderful. If you are just starting a sashiko journey, this is definitely THE BOOK to buy. You'll refer to it many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have book for quilters and embroiderers, 29 Dec. 2007
D. turner - See all my reviews
Indeed the ultimate sashiko source book. The patterns are clear, the instructions fool proof for the beginner. The book has instructions for small projects, projects which can be used as part of a quilting project and ideas for larger projects.
All in all a fantastic book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars back to graph paper, 9 Aug. 2010
Thought it was going to be so much more complicated, but hey even I understand the instructions and within the book found a supplier that could and does get supplies to me in 48 hours. So a good all round source of help. Doing lots on train journey when I get bored very easily. Wonderful read and reference point for all stitchers.

5.0 out of 5 stars `In the 21st century, sashiko continues to evolve.', 15 July 2011
Jennifer Cameron-Smith "Expect the Unexpected" (ACT, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Sashiko (the word means `little stab') is a traditional Japanese quilting technique which uses a simple running stitch. Originally the technique was used to combine two or three layers of fabric to create warm, economical clothing. Today its use seems to be mainly decorative.

My first introduction to sashiko was earlier this year, when I saw some sashiko panels on my first visit to a local quilting store. At that stage, I was looking at fabric for my first machine quilting project, but was very attracted to the potential (and portability) of sashiko. I've since completed my first sashiko project (a small tote bag featuring a wave pattern) and am keen to learn more about the history and techniques of sashiko stitching.

I bought this book after reading a number of reviews, and I'm delighted. The history of sashiko is interesting, the selection of relatively simple projects provides opportunities to practice the techniques, and the different patterns (over 100 are included) provide plenty of inspiration for the future.

This is a great guide for those of us starting sashiko stitching: there's information on fabric and thread selection, as well as advice on how to mark and stitch the patterns. There are plenty of diagrams and photographs to assist as well. The ten projects include table mats, a table runner and tote bags, as well as cards and cushions: there are plenty of possibilities.

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Sashiko, 22 Nov. 2010
This book is marvellous, although I haven't made anything from it yet. I've looked into where I can source the relevant materials but I'm so busy at the moment doing other things that I've promised to do something from here after Christmas is over. There are loads of ideas which can be incorporated into little projects and some of the bigger ones shown in the book (which I'll never make) are so interesting to look at you can't fail to admire the workmanship. So, it's not only a book from which you can make things, it's also a book for inspiration and just good to look at too.

3.0 out of 5 stars More designs than you could shake a stick at!, 11 Nov. 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Sashiko, 1 Dec. 2009
A great book I would recommend to anyone interested in this handicraft. The author really knows her stuff. I have met her and seen the quality of her work. None better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 6 April 2013
G. C. Clarke (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
I've been suffering a bit from Crafter's Block lately, don't know what I want to do and can't settle to any of the projects I've got on the go. I went into my local library to look for inspiration, saw this book on Sashiko, which I'd never heard of, and had a flick through. I am a big fan of blackwork, and saw some similarities, so borrowed the book and read it cover to cover that evening. I've also added the book to my wish list, to buy as soon as I have funds available.

The history of Sashiko section is really interesting, yet brief enough that I didn't want to skip over it to get to the "meat" of the book.

I can see endles possibilities and can't wait to have a rummage in my stash to see what I can make! Lots of stitch patterns shown, with very clear, detailed instructions for each one. An excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook, 23 Nov. 2011
Wanted this book for ages and am so pleased I found it on Amazon. If you are interested in patterns and projects in needlework, well designed pages and instructions, this is the book for you!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›