Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 October 2011
A complete beginner but passionate artist, I wanted to take my painting to the next level and mix my own colours. All attempts failed and the more ambitious I became the worse the colour appeared. Until this wonderful book arrived. So easy to follow on my first attempt I managed to mix 9 different shades of purple! Delighted with my progress all thanks to an easy explanation of how to. Includes instructions for mixing various media including watercolour and acyllic. Love it!
on 5 August 2009
I was recommended to buy this book by a colleague that was teaching me about painting with acrylics and I am really glad that I bought it. It is so clear and takes a lot of guessing out of how to mix to get the shade you need. I would recommend it to anyone who starts out in art and to anyone that has been doing it for years too.
on 5 February 2009
THIS BOOK IS REALLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE COVER. "ALL YOU'LL EVER NEED TO KNOW ABOUT MIXING OIL, ACRYLIC, WATERCOLOUR, GOUACHE, PASTEL, PENCIL AND INK. I HAVE FOUND IT INCREDIBLY USEFUL IN LEARNING ABOUT COLOUR THEORY, THE SCIENCE OF COLOUR AND COLOUR MIXING. AT THE BOTTOM OF EACH PAGE THERE ARE WATCHPOINTS MAKING YOU AWARE OF WHAT RESULTS FROM THE ADDITION OF VARYING AMOUNTS OF DIFFERENT COLOURS. ALL IN ALL A BRILIANT REFERENCE BOOK.
on 26 December 2012
I bought this book about 8 years ago and use it almost every time I paint. I only use watercolours so can only speak about that section of the book. However, it was worth every penny I spent on it just for the watercolour section. I find it invaluable when wanting a specify colour and although nothing in this medium is exact it always provides an excellent guid and often surprise. It is especially good when you want a wide range of greens. In fact I am surprised that this is not considered a must have by any who really wants to broaden their range of colours and their understanding of colour mixing.
on 21 April 2010
As an improving watercolour painter I needed some help with colour mixes and I found that help in this book. Arranged to give colour mixes for oils, acrylics, pastel and pencil I found that mixes for other media were of help to me. I would certainly recommend it to others in my position.
on 20 June 2011
I bought this for my wife to help her with her watercolour colour matching. Although it isn't quite as easy to use as another book she has, it does contain very useful information on colour mixing in other media such as acrylics, pencils and gouache. A very handy book to have around.
on 16 April 2011
For a beginner to painting such as myself one of the most difficult things to master is the mixing of colour. This book is a must have.
on 28 October 2007
This book has been a great help throughout my practise as an artist not just in painting.
This book truly is a 'bible' and is a must have for an artist at any level.
review image
on 3 September 2013
I'm in the process of teaching myself colour theory and it's not been a quick, easy journey. I bought this book after reading all the wonderful reviews it's received. This has taken me to the next level: it is mega informative and the 'recipes', showing very clearly what happens when various colours are mixed, are a joy to look at. Since I use various media, it is especially useful because it covers so many - oils, acrylics, gouache, pastels, watercolours, inks and pencils. Utterly captivating and comprehensive. I'd recommend it highly to artists of any level of experience.
on 10 August 2011
I was recommended the Colour Mixing Bible by a friend and I am really impressed with it. There is so much information in all mediums and more than I was expecting. I'm not very good with expressing myself with words, but this is definitely worth five stars!!!! thank you very much.