Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2006
I have bought this book on the strength of another reviewer's opinion and would greatly recommend it. There is a lot of practical information, detailed descriptions of modern yarns (incl. novelty ) and all the featured projects are fully described. The diagrams are clear and easy to follow. Plenty to read and knit ....for beginner and more advanced knitters!
on 1 July 2009
I bought this book after knitting for about 2 years on and off (Im a late starter!) and strugglng with some of the simple things that I was too embarassed to admit I couldn't do! The book is beautifully illustrated and written in clear easy to follow english, and is now constantly open at my side when I knit. I would recommend this book to anyone, a beginner, someone like me who is moving from a beginner to an intermediate knitter, but also an advanced knitter who just needs reminding every now and then. Apart from being helpful it is also really interesting,with sections about different wools, some patterns, and stitch guides that could be incorporated into any pattern. This was definitely the best knitting buy I have made and will be well used!
on 4 May 2007
I have only been knitting for a matter of months, but this book was easy to understand and very well set out. A must have for beginner and expert alike. The stitch library is very extensive and fantastic for giving you the confidence to stamp your mark on other designs. Other things such as how to keep a lace pattern correct around the shaping of a garment is invaluable, especially if you are new to to knitting and have no-one to ask!
on 31 December 2007
20 years ago (in my teens) I was a keen knitter, having learnt the basics (cast on, knit, purl and cable) from a family friend. I found knitting to be a therapeutic hobby...Now an adult with children, I came across a Knit Kit Poncho for for my daughter who is 8 years old. We had fun casting on showing her the basics, within an hour she was knitting away...

I got the knitting bug! I couldn't wait to start knitting again, feeling like a novice I wanted to understand the different types of wool that were suitable for making different garments, also improve my abilities to knit different stitches and create different projects most of all to tackle patterns with confidenence!

I looked at a wide range of knitting books before purchasing The Knitter's Bible. This book is a Bible for knitters, broken down in easy steps with illustrations, references provide on where to obtain wool.

I cannot wait to start the Patchwork Cushion project, an array of stitch patterns to enhance my knitting abilities, I would recommend this book to beginners and experts alike, there is something new to learn for everyone. Great Buy you won't regret it!!
on 1 January 2010
As a beginner to knitting, I wanted a book that would teach me everything I needed to know and give me the option of trying some advanced stitches. I would say that this book succeeds in that.

However, it isn't perfect; perhaps because it tries to do too much in such a short space. Some of the diagrams and explanations are not clear, and I had to ask a friend to demonstrate casting on for me because I was struggling with the instructions. Also, it is hard to use as a reference book: I was trying out one of the patterns but found it difficult to locate the sections of the book which explained how to do that particular instruction.

I have learned a lot from this book, and the stitch library in particular is very useful! If I were starting from scratch again, though, I would initially buy one of Debbie Bliss's beginner books as her instructions have more clarity.
on 11 May 2009
This is a really helpful, clear and useful guide for beginner and experienced knitters alike. I'm a fairly accomplished knitter but I'll still refer to this book when a pattern isn't clear (which so often happens!) or I'm not sure how to do something. The diagrams are really clear and the instructions easy to follow. The projects aren't great; they're a bit old fashioned for my tastes, but I'll be hanging on to this book as an essential guide. It really is a Knitter's Bible! Happy knitting x
on 4 March 2009
I have collected many anthologies of knitting techniques but The Knitter's Bible is far and away the clearest, most user-friendly manual on the market today, especially for beginners. It is an excellent reference guide and the stitch encyclopedia is clear and concise. Highly recommended.
on 26 September 2010
I won this book in a knit magazines' "lucky dip". I thought oh, just what I need another "Knitter's Bible" How WRONG I was.

This book goes beyond the bog standard 100 stitches to knit squares. It lists stitch patterns that even I had never heard of, and I've been knitting for some time.

Instructions are easy to follow, layout of the book is top class. The projects/patterns chosen to knit using your new-found techniques are items that we "normal?" knitters would use!

There are even, amongst many others, Lace, Fair Isle, and Embossed knitting patterns.

Instructions for short row shaping, and to create "perfect fit" garments

Doing Entrelac again, after never feeling comfortable with it until this book, was a bonus. And the resulting Bags, socks, baby jacket and cot blanket are an even bigger and better bonus!

I created a baby cardigan and a fabulous afghan after learning "Domino knitting" (mitred squares), the compliments from other knitters were brilliant.

Finally perfecting Medallion knitting using DPNS was a joy.

If you only ever buy one "knitting bible" make sure it's this one!!!

I've had to hide mine from my once? best knitting friends otherwise I'd never get it back, they have become fiends and lust after it constantly lol ! :))
on 3 March 2009
This is a great book for inspiration with very clear instructions and explinations. I have used it alot to decipher instructions given in other knitting pattern books.
As a new and keen knitter I am very glad I bought this book. Along with Easy baby knits and The knitters Handy Book of Sweater Patterns I have evey thing I need to knit some really lovley clothes for the whole family.
on 21 May 2006
I already knew the very basics of knitting but this book really does cover everything and the instructions are very clear and easy to follow. It includes cable, circular knitting and techniques I'd not even heard of! Each 'new' skill has a project at the end you can do, these vary and include a toy sheep, bags, cushions, scarfs, throws - not all baby items like in some similar books.

I'd be surprised if you could find a pattern that you wouldn't be able to understand and complete as long as you had this book - it really does cover everything.