Format: PaperbackChange

on 16 March 2006
I have bought this book on the strength of another reviewer's opinion and would greatly recommend it. There is a lot of practical information, detailed descriptions of modern yarns (incl. novelty ) and all the featured projects are fully described. The diagrams are clear and easy to follow. Plenty to read and knit ....for beginner and more advanced knitters!
0Comment74 of 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2009
I bought this book after knitting for about 2 years on and off (Im a late starter!) and strugglng with some of the simple things that I was too embarassed to admit I couldn't do! The book is beautifully illustrated and written in clear easy to follow english, and is now constantly open at my side when I knit. I would recommend this book to anyone, a beginner, someone like me who is moving from a beginner to an intermediate knitter, but also an advanced knitter who just needs reminding every now and then. Apart from being helpful it is also really interesting,with sections about different wools, some patterns, and stitch guides that could be incorporated into any pattern. This was definitely the best knitting buy I have made and will be well used!
0Comment29 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2007
I have only been knitting for a matter of months, but this book was easy to understand and very well set out. A must have for beginner and expert alike. The stitch library is very extensive and fantastic for giving you the confidence to stamp your mark on other designs. Other things such as how to keep a lace pattern correct around the shaping of a garment is invaluable, especially if you are new to to knitting and have no-one to ask!
0Comment67 of 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 December 2007
20 years ago (in my teens) I was a keen knitter, having learnt the basics (cast on, knit, purl and cable) from a family friend. I found knitting to be a therapeutic hobby...Now an adult with children, I came across a Knit Kit Poncho for for my daughter who is 8 years old. We had fun casting on showing her the basics, within an hour she was knitting away...

I got the knitting bug! I couldn't wait to start knitting again, feeling like a novice I wanted to understand the different types of wool that were suitable for making different garments, also improve my abilities to knit different stitches and create different projects most of all to tackle patterns with confidenence!

I looked at a wide range of knitting books before purchasing The Knitter's Bible. This book is a Bible for knitters, broken down in easy steps with illustrations, references provide on where to obtain wool.

I cannot wait to start the Patchwork Cushion project, an array of stitch patterns to enhance my knitting abilities, I would recommend this book to beginners and experts alike, there is something new to learn for everyone. Great Buy you won't regret it!!
0Comment73 of 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 January 2010
As a beginner to knitting, I wanted a book that would teach me everything I needed to know and give me the option of trying some advanced stitches. I would say that this book succeeds in that.

However, it isn't perfect; perhaps because it tries to do too much in such a short space. Some of the diagrams and explanations are not clear, and I had to ask a friend to demonstrate casting on for me because I was struggling with the instructions. Also, it is hard to use as a reference book: I was trying out one of the patterns but found it difficult to locate the sections of the book which explained how to do that particular instruction.

I have learned a lot from this book, and the stitch library in particular is very useful! If I were starting from scratch again, though, I would initially buy one of Debbie Bliss's beginner books as her instructions have more clarity.
0Comment38 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 October 2013
Short review:
A book packed with useful information, buy it.

Longest review:

There is a universe of books about knitting and many of them shine like distant stars (some of them long ago out of print), so how come this particular book snatched the title "Knitter's bible"?

One reason might be that it is useful for both beginners and intermediate 'knit-purl' enthusiasts, but also, as the subtitle indicates, for all creative knitters. If you are a seasoned knitter you might enjoy the freehand knitting challenge. I'd say the book is suitable also for inquisitive newbie knit kids without grandmothers to show them the tricks of the trade and for men tired of lawn moving and car maintenance. However, if you look for complicated mathematically challenging descriptions, or 'in voguesque' patterns, look elsewhere, unless you venture out to the unknown and design your original items from scratch. All is possible.

The book is educational, easy to read and it helps you to turn the theory into practice immediately. To start with it explains the very basics of knitting. This 101 of knitting enables you to make your first, or tenth scarf without poking your eye with a needle. It also explains how to use a circular needle, knitting yourself into infinity....

OK, come back, I have more to say.

One page is dedicated to gauge, thanks God. Gauge is important. Gee! I knitted years without even knowing the planet Gauge existed. Now I am glad I do, because the knitting universe is curved and when 'you look around the next corner' new Gauge Governed Galaxies await you. Please board your knitting space ship, now.

You will also find a sufficiently broad and well organized library of useful patterns, all presented in quiet off white uniform color, which I like very much because it doesn't distract me from the task at hand, which is counting stitches and trying to understand abbreviations while mastering new patterns. Yes, there is a table of abbreviations included, two, in fact. One at the back that you can cut out, if you dare.

However, rest assured that the multicolor knitting is also addressed. All aspiring knitters as I said will find useful information to satisfy their nagging thirst for inspiration.

The book contains descriptions for a variety of projects, big or small, targeting an adult or a baby. You can knit a post card to a friend if you want. I don't, but I may try it anyhow. A knitted heart is never wrong. The projects are possible to execute with the help of the information in the book. Personally I do not find the projects awfully stylish, but that is a matter of individual preference and taste. In any case, they outline the basics and they open a limitless field of experimentation and creativity for you. Challenge yourself because it is easy to get lazy and rest on laurels. Nurture your soul and venture courageously into new territories. Avoid the risk of crumbling to a consumer. with hollow eyes. Remember, you are a creative being! You have a privilege to knit because you want to, not because you must. Take an advantages of it. Thanks. We can make this world more cozy and fun.

And last but not least, for being it a bible the book is rather thin and light, and therefore easy to take with you as a reference if your knitting project decides to travel with you. May your knitting prayers come true. Some of my other knitting books are heavy hard backs and they sit on the shelf most of the time. Originally I borrowed the book from my library but when it was due back a great anxiety cloud appeared on the horizon, so I bought my own copy and I am glad I did.

Why then, after all this praise did I give it four stars instead of five? Because the last star is you, without you nothing is perfect and if you don't invest yourself and the time then any handbook becomes useless.Go for it, and good luck on your journey through the knitting universe of joy.
on 11 May 2009
This is a really helpful, clear and useful guide for beginner and experienced knitters alike. I'm a fairly accomplished knitter but I'll still refer to this book when a pattern isn't clear (which so often happens!) or I'm not sure how to do something. The diagrams are really clear and the instructions easy to follow. The projects aren't great; they're a bit old fashioned for my tastes, but I'll be hanging on to this book as an essential guide. It really is a Knitter's Bible! Happy knitting x
on 4 March 2009
I have collected many anthologies of knitting techniques but The Knitter's Bible is far and away the clearest, most user-friendly manual on the market today, especially for beginners. It is an excellent reference guide and the stitch encyclopedia is clear and concise. Highly recommended.
on 21 May 2006
I already knew the very basics of knitting but this book really does cover everything and the instructions are very clear and easy to follow. It includes cable, circular knitting and techniques I'd not even heard of! Each 'new' skill has a project at the end you can do, these vary and include a toy sheep, bags, cushions, scarfs, throws - not all baby items like in some similar books.

I'd be surprised if you could find a pattern that you wouldn't be able to understand and complete as long as you had this book - it really does cover everything.
0Comment42 of 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2009
This is a great book for inspiration with very clear instructions and explinations. I have used it alot to decipher instructions given in other knitting pattern books.
As a new and keen knitter I am very glad I bought this book. Along with Easy baby knits and The knitters Handy Book of Sweater Patterns I have evey thing I need to knit some really lovley clothes for the whole family.