4.0 out of 5 stars Everything except the Falconry itself., 1 Oct 2004
Ned Middleton (British professional underwater photo-journalist & author) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Falconry: Care, Captive Breeding and Conservation (Paperback)
I wanted this book because I had learned so much (though not all I needed to know) from this same author's book "Understanding Owls." Whilst taking on board the author's preference for Birds of Prey other than owls, I have, nevertheless, proceeded to the stage where my own European Eagle Owl is flying free and ready for the next stage where he would (hopefully) be taught to take a rabbit.

It was, therefore, with great excitement that this book - which is, after all, entitled "Falconry," arrived through my letterbox. In no time at all I had read the book and was immediately frustrated because there is neither any detailed description of a lure nor mention of how to get any bird to take one - except that the author professes to make the best rabbit lures after having enjoyed three G&Ts. Well, I have the gin, I have the tonic and plenty of wild rabbits - but still no decent lure or even an inkling of how to introduce the subject to my bird.

All that said, this is an otherwise excellent book for the beginner. It covers most types of bird used in Falconry, the building of aviaries, breeding, medicine, injured wild birds, incubation, brooding, and conservation. Under the general heading "Making a Start," we also have such subjects as; The pen/weathering ground (and how to build them), paths, security, hygiene, the shed, equipment (including a chapter on lures - but, as I said, no description of one!), bags, gloves, blocks, perches, baths food, vets, imprinting and transportation.

If, therefore, you are seriously thinking about taking up Falconry, I would seriously recommend you read this book before purchasing a bird. There is much for the potential Falconer to consider and this book covers those topics is reasonable detail.

Having done that, and you still want to train a bird to fly first to your hand in captive conditions, then to fly free (a most exciting and rewarding experience) and then to hunt, you will need to purchase another book. When I find that book I will undoubtedly put it to the test.

NM

5.0 out of 5 stars A good understanding of how we should handle falconry, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Falconry (Kindle Edition)
If your interested in falconry but don't know where to begin this book will give you a place to start and guide you through the different steps about looking after a bird of prey. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants, not just an general introduction into this sport but also for any experienced falconer as Jemima parry Jones has a hole wealth of knowledge which has been built up over many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and easy read, 28 Dec 2011
An informative and interesting read, full of knowledge from an experienced Falconer who shares her experinces in a easy to read format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant informative book, 9 Sep 2011
This book is a must for anyone interested in hawks etc. Covers a large range of information. I have several books on hawks, falconry etc which have been expensive. This book is exceptional value for money.

Falconry: Care, Captive Breeding and Conservation
Falconry: Care, Captive Breeding and Conservation by Jemima Parry-Jones (Paperback - 30 April 2003)
12.99