on 18 October 2009
Amazing book. Everything well explained. Best photography book I ever bought (and I have a few).
Very clear explanations. It really explains the techniques. All the pictures are illustrative of the proceses and no simpli there for aesthethic purposes.
The book focus a lot on film cameras instead of digital, but the thecniques are the same and is really blilliantli writen.
If you're interested in night and low light photography, this is the best book you can buy!
on 22 February 2009
Even though this book seems to talk more about the older SLR and camera skills you can still use this information with digital photography.

I've already bought Lee's other book on Exposure and what a great book also, both together is a great informative collection on anyones book shelve wether amature or pro photographer.
on 16 February 2013
The book is well written but Please be advised. this book is aimed at Film Takers not Digital Camera Shooters.
on 29 July 2010
I was a bit disappointed when this book arrived through the post. The information is a bit old hat referring to film choice and speed. Don't get me wrong this is a great book with lost of useful advice and tips, but I would say it could be a lot better if it was brought up to date with the latest lens and camera technology.
The book is well worth the read and gives advice on every type of low light photography you may need. If nothing else it will give you knowledge and confidence to have a go and take those challenging shots you deserve. I am looking forward to trying some long exposures (2 hours +)and challenging my skills even more.
If you haven't got a fast lenses I am guessing after reading this book you will be putting one at the top of you wish list. Lee describes in detail which lenses and F-stop you can chose for the conditions you are shooting in.
I say give it a try with all the info in this book you are a lot closer to getting that great low light shot
on 28 January 2011
This book is quite old but teach some tecnique and skill developed with film camera but very useful even in the digital era.
Explain the iso's the compensation techniques and the right choice of exposure times. What to do in some common and uncommon situation. Panning, some known and unknown low light effect and so on

A book from past with a look in the future.

After reding this book you'll know that shooting in digital is often not so different than shooting in films.
(and these type of trheads have nosense)
on 1 March 2013
The book is hardly a complete guide as it barely touches on digital photography which is not made clear on the Amazon site.
on 30 April 2015
Good book as I needed to remind myself about SLR tips now I have bought my SLR Digital camera. Thanks
on 16 February 2010
Good instructive detail - maybe favours film slrs but good for a beginner in the dslr world
on 27 April 2011
I recently purchased this book as I am interested in Night and Low-Light photography. The book is good, informative, and detailed in both technical explanations and ideas for photographs. The only problem that I really had with the book is that it is exceedingly dated. I should have checked properly that it was originally published in 1999 and thus is aimed squarely at film camera's rather than digital cameras. While the techniques for photography, whether film or digital, remain basically the same it was very disconcerting to read all about film camera's when we are very into the age of digital camera's. To be quite honest, unless you are a specialist, you are not going to be able to find much film out there any more! Seeing that it is over 10 years since the book was originally published, I would have expected that it would have been radically updated for the modern camera world. That makes it a bit of a disappointing purchase despite being technically a very interesting book for my collection.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2009
I received this book as a gift and i must say I was quite pleased with it because I wanted to venture into low-light and night photography and this seemed to be an ideal starting point. In no way am I claiming to be an advanced photographer, but I do have enough experience and knowledge to get by and produce some decent shots. What I could say about this book is that if you don't have any background knowledge of photography this book will be extremely useful, but if you have already been playing around with an SLR for more than a year there is little that can be offered from this text.