on 13 September 2004
This book contains plans for making various outdoor items that can be made in two days, or less. It starts out with a description of the various hand- and power-tools that would be needed to build these projects, and then examined materials such as glues and finishes. Each project includes a cutting list, list of tools and sundries (screws, etc.), an exploded diagram, detailed step-by-step instructions, and one color photo.
The projects in this book are divided into three categories. The first is the beginner projects, and includes an outdoor table, outdoor stool (which can be combined with the outdoor table), two-tier flower cradle, indoor pebble pool, four-tier corner plant stand, and a clematis planter. The intermediate projects include a swing seat, garden bench, compost bin, corner seat and trellis, bridge, old village pump (a wonderful looking fountain), shredder store, and kids' playhouse. And finally, the advanced projects include a mower store, decking with handrails, roofed garden table, and tool store.
I have the book Garden Woodwork in a Weekend, which I value highly. Unfortunately I do not like this book quite so much. My chief complaint is that since the book was produced in the United Kingdom, the lumber used is of sizes that are not available in the United States. As such, anyone building projects from this book will have to alter the plans to use lumber sizes available here. That said, though, the projects are beautiful. The book itself is bright, with lots of color pictures, and of a very high quality.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on 23 February 2010
This book is a gem for keen amateurs like me. With luck, Mrs A will allow me a weekend off so I get to try out a project or two. Meanwhile I'll enjoy the read...and hope. Perhaps I should leave the book beside her lounge chair !!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again