4.0 out of 5 stars The Clock Repairer's Handbook
Saw the price of clocks on E Bay and decided to buy one in need of restoration. This book is the better of 2 bought on Amazon. Straight forward clear and concise. My complicated new hobby has suddenly become easy and profitable.
Published on 5 May 2004 by Mr D Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a beginner's book
Although the author has tried to write a book for people of all abilities, this is not a good book for the absolute beginner.

Published on 15 Feb 2009 by Mr. M. P. T. Palmer

4.0 out of 5 stars The Clock Repairer's Handbook, 5 May 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars In the same vein as De Carle, 7 Dec 2000
Carruthers Brian "Pen" (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Clock Repairer's Handbook (Paperback)
I must admit that I bought this book as I have many others, expecting to be sorely disappointed. Well I was wrong. Having been weaned on Donald De Carle I must present a challenge to any aspiring horological author. Imagine my surprise and delight to find an author with the same insight and obvious love of timepieces as De Carle! A craftsman who can explain the intricacies of non-standard repairs with the same clarity as simple replacements is a gem. His explanations are clear, concise, and understandable to any level. I can hardly wait to see what his future offerings have in store. Well done Laurie

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a beginner's book, 15 Feb 2009
This review is from: The Clock Repairer's Handbook (Paperback)

The author assumes a knowledge of clock functions and a familiarity with technical expressions that the beginner won't have. Although there are some sections dealing with very basic things, e.g. "How to oil a clock", Mr Penman is soon on about "verge flags" and "lantern pinions" or casually suggesting that we solder new teeth into damaged cogs or make our own replacement parts.

I needed a basic book to tell me how to clean, lubricate and adjust my mantle clock. Sadly, I soon got completely bogged down in this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine.....but only if you know what a 'pinion' is!, 25 April 2010
Michael Bermingham "mjbermingham" (Birr,County Offaly,Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Clock Repairer's Handbook (Paperback)
If, like me, you know nothing about the technical construction of clocks then this book is not the ideal place to start.That said, however, after reading through most of it, it is very well written and informative.
The author begins by explaining how to systematically approach various clock faults and advises on remedies for same.He advises that the last thing to do is to take a clock apart-as 'life is too short for this approach' and directs the repairer to other remedies first.However for many faults a clock has to be disassembled and for this he advises on what to check.
This is where it gets complicated for me as I was unaware of what 'pinions', 'arbors', 'escapements' etc actually are.I feel that a chapter on the basic operation of a clock would have been extremely helpful.This chapter, even if short, could have explained the various terms used in horology.
However, for me the book is redeemed by the inclusion of a systematic 'fault finding' section which advises on what actions to take for various problems.Also there is a very helpful chapter on what tools to acquire for various repair jobs.Overall a very well written and sometimes witty book and well worth buying if you intend to go in to the horology field.Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amateur Clock Builder, 30 Jun 2010
B. Brown (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Clock Repairer's Handbook (Paperback)
The book contains all the information I need to help me to build a skeleton clock. Having built a weight driven clock the book has helped me to understand how the escapement works. The glossary was especially useful in learning the words that are specific to clock makers. The books describes how clocks work which clock builders' manuals don't always do. The book is very useful for an amateur clock builder.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clock Repair, 20 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Clock Repairer's Handbook (Paperback)
I am sure this is a very good book however although it starts well enough (for a complete novice) it soon became too technical for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loads of Detail, 5 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Clock Repairer's Handbook (Paperback)
If you want to learn how to repair clocks or upgrade your existing skills this is well worth the money.

The book is very detailed and the author is obviously well qualified to produce this book. Even if you are just interested if finding out how clocks work this will be all you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars clock repair for novices, 3 Jun 2009
This review is from: The Clock Repairer's Handbook (Paperback)
Brilliant treatment of a subject that is complex for novices like me. I loved the idea of 'dunking the clock' to clean it

4.0 out of 5 stars clock repairers handbook, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Clock Repairer's Handbook (Paperback)
very comprehensive and it is a useful guide for a beginner like me so beginners should buy it as its good

5.0 out of 5 stars Great guide for clock repairing, 30 May 2014
This review is from: The Clock Repairer's Handbook (Paperback)
This book has been great for me giving me the basic information I required to start repairing my own clocks, mostly long case. 100% worth buying.

The Clock Repairer's Handbook
The Clock Repairer's Handbook by Laurie Penman (Paperback - 31 Dec 2000)