on 18 December 2000
I bought this book as a Christmas present for my father-in-law. He has already made two dollshouses, and with an engineering background, I knew that this book would appeal to him. Would he be interested in the forge, or the working watermill? Anything that actually works would be an irresistible challenge for him. Or would he decide to make the country pub.....
I wonder if I will ever get to find out, because never has a book been so hard to give away. I doubt it will ever get to the Christmas wrapping paper stage, as I am reading it secretly, trying hard not to open it too far so that it looks 'read'.
Even if I do part with it, how will I be able to persuade him to make me the Georgian mansion - I already have a Victorian dollshouse that I have hardly made inroads on it's decoration, and here I am, mentally furnishing the Georgian rooms in the book.
So you see, for a dollshouse addict, this is fuel for the fire. The book is beautifully presented. It's plans are very clear to understand. The illustrations are tasteful and worth careful scrutiny as the interiors show great attention to detail.
So, sorry.... It's not Terry's, it's mine!...........
on 4 February 2004
A delightful book, full of detail and plenty of ideas...BUT! not for the beginner, the book is crammed full of woodworking jargon and supposes a prior knowledge of this type of project (although I'm keeping it under my elbow for later when I've acquired a bit of experience). Another bothersome feature is that all measurements are in inches which are a headache to convert into metrics.
on 18 October 2011
Making Character Doll's Houses in 1/12th Scale Another good book on the subject of 1/12 scale dolls houses by Brian Nickolls. The book is comprehensive in its detail and will allow a relative beginner to do a good job in the building of a baby house. The main house design of a Georgian House makes into a fine building and the plans are easy to follow as is the tool and cutting list for the materials. The Georgian House in this book is slighlty larger than his first design I think but still a good size to fit in many modern homes.
on 11 October 2002
This is a well illustrated and well written book,unfortunately it contains errors.Anyone contemplating making one of the houses would be well advised to carefully check all the measurements before making any cuts,as wood is very expensive.Having said all this the finished projects are a delight.I have made houses from Brian Nickols previous book and have been well satisfied.
on 7 February 2011
I am very impressed with the book, very informative. I like Brian Nicholls work and wish to purchase more of his work, i already have one other book, which i have built a couple from. I was also impressed with the service, delivery etc.,
on 4 November 2009
One of the best books I have purchased on making Dolls houses in a more adventurous design.
Easy to follow and can recommend to buyers.
on 22 October 2013
Good book for all the beginners and skilled dolls house makers alike
Great tips and hints -- o - o
on 2 January 2015
A good book,Nickols knows his stuff. Well protected fast delivery.