Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 December 2013
I love this book. I had last year's edition too. Each day's entry contains two readings, and the relevant psalmody, plus a commentary on one of the readings and a collect. Thus it enables me to read an old testament and a new testament passage, as well as a psalm (or two if I want) every day, which, coupled with private prayer, makes a useful basic frame of daily worship. It's not a book of hours, but it is great for those of us who are too busy to read much or engage in lectio divina on a daily basis. The commentaries are well-written an though-provoking. A word to Kindle users: it is useful to have 2 or even 3 Bibles on your Kindle, so you don't have to find pages all the time, as the OT and NT readings tend to follow each other day by day over particular seasons.
on 26 January 2014
This is the third year I have used this book either with a small group at church or on my own and find it really helpful. It keeps me
focused on the Lectionary and readings and gives an excellent structure for worship. I use every day at home and when I`m away as well. I`m very grateful to the compilers and contributors for their wisdom and reflections
on 9 January 2014
This is the second year that I have had this book and it is a useful aid for personal devotion. Each day (except Sundays!) it provides a psalm and readings from the Old and New Testaments with a short commentary on one of the readings.
on 9 January 2014
I use the daily office and needed something to make me pause a little over the reading. This text, which I use on the Kindle, has three sections for each day: the references for the RCL readings for Morning Prayer, a reflection on one of the readings, and the daily collect. I find the reflection usually has something useful to say to make me think more deeply about the Bible passage so this does the job for me. A variety of authors contribute; typically each one covers a two week period so if the current person does not quite do it for you, another one will be along soon.
on 10 June 2014
This continues to be one of the more liberal daily bible reading notes, though some of the best contributors from last year have gone.

I am somewhat concerned that Catherine Williams, a selection secretary for ordinands, thinks that Candlemas Day happened eight days after Christmas. She is confusing circumcision with purification. She also makes the common mistake of thinking that healing on the Sabbath was against Jewish law.It is not. She has not caught up with the massive amount of modern scholarship. Such atrocious ignorance about Judaism and the Church’s year make me think I’ll not buy this book next time.

However she does say: Mary and Joseph temporarily lost their son. ……..It's easy for us too, to take Jesus for granted — to expect him to be around and do the things we want and ask for. Sometimes we have to search for him again — prayerfully in worship and in the world round us. When we find him, he may unsettle us with his requests .and actions. What he calls us to do and be as we follow him may be surprising and challenging, but we can trust that he is calling us to join him in his Father's business.

We have lost one good contributor from previous years, Martin Percey.

I still, despite my misgivings, recommend it to those whom I direct.
on 17 November 2013
This book is ideal for those who are on 'the move' because it provides a daily form of service as well as all the relevant information from the lectionary for the day. The scripture observations provided for each day are concise and yet prove a challenge to the reader in how life can be lived and experienced. Well worth having in the suitcase, duffle bag or stall.
on 24 December 2013
Great Daily read - I used to have Light for our Path every day, but I prefer the approach as the other publication could be on the 'evangelical' side at times. I shall buy it again
on 10 December 2013
This book for Quiet Time is just right. The Bible readings chosen are accompanied by reflections with a punch line! A focus for the day.
on 16 January 2014
It provides a good insight to the daily readings and something to think about for the day. It has a broad range of contributors.
on 13 February 2014
Very helpful for guiding with daily prayer and bible readings very easy to follow format would totally recommend this book