4.0 out of 5 stars Well presented
This is the best offering I have seen so far in the Phaidon cookbook series in terms of presentation - The Silver Spoon, Vefa's Kitchen and India: The Cookbook have all left something to be desired on that front.

Published on 9 Nov 2012 by E. L. Wisty

Published 2 months ago by Meg

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Well presented, 9 Nov 2012
E. L. Wisty "World Domination League" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Lebanese Kitchen (Hardcover)

There are many traditional recipes given along with those which evidence more recent external influence from other parts, to give a thoroughly broad range. I was particularly pleased in this respect with the desserts section as there is more variety here than you usually find in Middle Eastern cookbooks with their seven kinds of baklava.

One minor annoyance is that the book is aimed at the American market; so ingredients are named fava beans, zucchini, scallions, cilantro, eggplants etc., but slightly more irritating is that quantities are given in cups, although they are also parenthesised with ounce and gram measurements. More importantly, it would also have been an improvement if the recipe instructions were broken down into numbered steps or at least paragraphs rather than a single uninterrupted block of text.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Lebanese cookbook, 8 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Lebanese Kitchen (Hardcover)
I can't recommend this beautiful cookbook highly enough, it's both well written and very lovely to look at.
Having received it only a couple of days ago I've not been able to put it down and have already read the recipes cover-to-cover. I'm looking forward to trying them all.

Salma Hage is obviously a very talented home-cook and you can feel her love of Lebanon, her family and home cooking in every recipe. My favourites: Garlic Almond and Pomegranate Soup, Kadafi Pastry Pie with Zucchini and Za'tar, Zucchini and Cumin Falafel, and Hummus with Beet.

There are so many lovely recipes in here that make Lebanese cooking seem very accessible. The dishes I've managed to make so far (Moussaka, Halloumi with Mint, Garlic and Pomegranate, and the Baba Ganoush) have all been amazing, full of flavour and very easy.

There's a wonderful Mezze section at the beginning, which includes some really simple but great dishes such as the potato salad with tahini, Shanklish cheese with Za'tar and eight different types of hummus. This will be a great book to use at Christmas.

'Salma's story' at the start of the book gives a wonderful background that's worth reading and it really puts the book into context. As well as the many practical recipes, the book also has lots of interesting snippets of background information, history, culture, and info on ingredients of all kinds, which makes it wonderful to browse through for inspiration on what to cook.

This is one of the best cookery book I've read for a long time, and is by far the best on Lebanese cuisine. Thoroughly enjoyable and insightful with beautiful photographs too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cookbook, but..., 18 Aug 2013
EFP (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lebanese Kitchen (Hardcover)
You can just tell from the size of this cookbook that it is comprehensive, thorough and contains a huge number of recipes. You could cook from this book for a year and not exhaust the store of wonderful recipes. If you love Middle Eastern cuisine, then this book should be in your kitchen.
I do have one complaint, however. There is almost no background information on Lebanese cooking, its influences and historical development (although it does explain the more frequently used ingredients). When buying a cookbook on a specific national cooking, I personally need this deeper understanding; it helps me to improvise in my own kitchen and to know how to create a meal, rather than just following recipes. In this case I feel that I need a companion cookbook that provides this missing link.
Having said that, I would still recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT all Lebanese recipes, it's mixed Lebanese and western recipes., 3 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Lebanese Kitchen (Hardcover)
I received the book on time which I was pleased with. BUT on the other hand I was dissapointed, because, as half Lebanese myself, I have found that the book has lots of western recipes added to it, rather than only Lebanese recipes, (thinking that when I bought it). And some of the recipes that I know well in the book have got some ingredient that is added to it which shouldn't be, as it is not authentic and won't give it the real taste of the original. Also They've added few western recipes, such as Waldorf salad and other recipes using mayonnaise, a Lebanese person would NEVER add mayonnaise to their food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lebanese masterpiece, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Lebanese Kitchen (Hardcover)
Wow! Just fantastic! What a discovery.

I have been looking for original, tasty recipes that I can cook for a dinner party, for the kids and just for my husband and I. I am tired of the same old things that one sees in everyone's kitchen - Jamie, Nigella, Delia. All good staples, don't get me wrong, but I wanted a different dimension. Well, I have found it.

The Lebanese Kitchen is a revelation. I have now tried many of the starters and main dishes and every one has been a huge success. For instance, for a dinner party recently I made the hummus, baba-ganoush, the lamb dish with prunes and apricots and also the chicken with pomegranate. I followed the recipes carefully and each dish came out perfectly and was just mouth-watering!

This is really delicious food made from interesting and healthy ingredients. The book itself is beautifully written and made. The photos give a very good idea of what the dishes should look like and how to present them.

Having cooked similar type food, for instance Otollenghi, it has been hugely refreshing to find something new and exciting, and the range of recipes means that I will be cooking new dishes and trying dishes in different combinations for a long time to come. I could not recommend this cookery book more highly and am looking forward to making my way through all of its wonderful pages!

All in all a triumph.

Caroline, North West London

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly the jewel of Middle Eastern cuisine, 8 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Lebanese Kitchen (Hardcover)
"The Jewel in the Middle Eastern culinary crown" a Guardian review advertises on the front cover on the copy of the book I just received. High expectations. Well, I certainly wasn't disappointed. I''ve been a long-time fan of Middle Eastern cuisine, but this is my first real personal attempt at cooking it.

This food Bible (more than 500 pages) gives an easy overview of all types of dishes: mezzes, soups, fish & meat dishes, breads, and delicious sweets... (Ma'Mool cookies are amazing). So you find all the recipes you'd expect, but Salma Hage, who has been working as a cook for more than three decades, adds her own little secrets to the traditional family recipes (Hummus with pumpkin and cilantro anyone?). That little extra touch is brilliant.

Speaking of extra touches: the book has a very appealing design (all in the detail, the saw-toothed side of the pages) and some beautiful, vibrant photography from daily life in Lebanon. All in all, a great cook book, which will be the go-to-guide to Lebanese cuisine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive Lebanese recipes, 30 July 2013
This review is from: The Lebanese Kitchen (Hardcover)
As an ex ex pat I developed a love of arabic food while working in the middle east. I have a number of middle eastern cookery books and this definately is one of the best that I have. As well as the book being beautiful to look at, the recipes are comprehensive and the results accurate.

before purchasing this I was in a large bookstore browsing the cookery books and I sat and looked through a number of books in detail to ensure that I was getting something that met my needs rather than hoping for the best with an online purchase. Out of all of the books that I looked at this one ticked all of the boxed. The recipes are concise, clear and while some of the herbs and spices are certainly middle eastern, with the abundance of "ethnic" shops and the online availability there is really no need to be unable to get the correct ingredients.

Since purchasing the book last week I have already made 15 recipes and each and every one of them has turned out exactly as expected. Please note that there isn't an illustration for every recipe but you really don't need it.. An expensive book but worth it

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book and food, 1 May 2013
Self-help junkie (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Lebanese Kitchen (Hardcover)
I had no intention of buying this book until I saw it in a bookstore: it's just such a beautiful book I couldn't resist it! From the saw-edge pages to the illustrations, it really is a joy to hold and read. And the recipes are beautifully straightforward - none call for ingredients that most supermarkets in the UK don't stock nowadays. There may be the odd one or two which are easily obtainable online. A sense of years of love of cooking distilled into the pages of this book, and for anyone who is a fan of Middle Eastern food, this book will be a much loved addition to a cook-book library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Model Beirut Recital, 22 Aug 2014
MisterHobgoblin (Melbourne) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lebanese Kitchen (Hardcover)
I have been a fan of Lebanese food for many years - once even factoring a 24 hour stopover in Beirut to a flight schedule just to have an authentic Lebanese lunch.

I am prepared to take the authenticity of the recipes in The Lebanese Kitchen at face value, but I wonder whether the flavours are quite authentic. Perhaps it is just chance that the first recipes I have chosen were so heavy on seven-spice mixture and cinnamon, but it tends to make the food taste rather samey and flat. The flavours I associate with Lebanon - especially cardamom and lemon juice - just don't seem to be there. Having said that, my family have enjoyed the end products.

The recipes I have followed (baba ganoush; spaghetti; lamb and aubergine stew; spinach and rice salad; lemon, lime and ginger drink) were straightforward and the inclusion of two ribbon placemarkers is useful, but the dense text, lack of paragraphing and the use of the dreaded "meanwhile" make it necessary to read the entire recipe quite carefully before starting out.

A further issue is that a good Lebanese meal focuses on many small mezze dishes, supplemented with dips, pickles, salads and the like. If you eat Lebanese food every day, you would presumably make these mezze in batches and stuff your fridge or freezer full of them. But if you are in a western kitchen and only occasionally want to eat Lebanese food, you'll either end up working many hours to create small quantities of many things, or you'll end up going down a western route of starter, main course and pudding. That's not the fault of the book, but may limit how effectively people are able to recreate their favourite Levantine restaurant in their own homes.

As a recipe book goes, this does what it sets out to do in a comprehensive and functional way. It is not over-cluttered with photos - most dishes are not illustrated. It does not have lots of photos of countryside or the author in front of endless exotic backdrops. This is a book for the kitchen, not the coffee table. That, alone, is a major selling point when so many cookbooks have been designed purely for decoration.

* Update.

Did a houmus and broad bean dip that worked very well indeed. Waaaay nicer than bought houmus.

But then the book let me down with the rice with lamb and spinach. The recipe said preparation time of 20 minutes and cooking time of 30 minutes. Then, two thirds of the way through the cooking process (i.e. after 20 minutes), the recipe said cover and cook for 1 hour. Oops. The end result, an hour later than expected, was nice but like so many of these recipes it seemed very heavy on the cinnamon. And having now rad tested about 7 or 8 recipes, still not had to take the lid off the cardamom jar.

4.0 out of 5 stars the most beautiful book cover, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Lebanese Kitchen (Hardcover)
Beautifully designed and presented (thick book with a hardback, beautiful cover design and the details of the paper cutting on the edges is wonderful)
Quite extensive as a cookbook but not as many visuals as you thought inside it
I somehow slightly preferred the Lebanese Cookbook by Hussein Damak for its content but tend to offer this book as a regular gift, recipients loved it!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Lebanese Kitchen
The Lebanese Kitchen by Salma Hage (Hardcover - 22 Oct 2012)