5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and novel, a peek into a passionate chefs mind.
Published 23 months ago by Mr. David Sutton

3.0 out of 5 stars Mums present.
Not a clue, it was very expensive, had to use Christmas Amazon vouchers, will you sleep tonight? Books are for reading.
Published 16 months ago by William Wright, The dark Knight.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and novel, a peek into a passionate chefs mind., 4 Oct 2012
This review is from: Fäviken (Hardcover)
I have been waiting for this book to be released for a couple of months at least now. I can't remember where I even first heard about Magnus Nilsson but I was fascinated by his restaurant at what feels like the edge of civilisation. The book is prefaced by a couple of thought provoking and sometimes touching forewords, which outlines some details of the Swedish chefs background and his journey to his current celebrity.
The book itself is gorgeous, filled with high quality pictures of his creations, and of the surrounding areas of Sweden. It is also quite densely filled with text (for a cookery book), something I really enjoyed in this book since a lot of the ideas and methods are so alien they need explaining not only in terms of technique, but in terms of Magnus' thought processes and evolutions.
The recipes in the book are, simply, stunning. Quite complex I felt in terms of prep and flavour (though I am no chef!), but the theory is really simple, and they are presented in a spare, minimalist fashion. That being said, a lot of the ingredients are going to be impossible to obtain without a good knowledge of plants, herbs (if they even exist where you happen to live: Finnish bitter milk caps, for example) etc and a lot more still are made by obscure and longforgotten methods. You can't nip down to the supermarket and get all the ingredients required. Most of the ingredients dreamt up by Nilsson are explained, like how to make "vinegar matured in the burned-out trunk of a spruce tree" for instance. Some single ingredient might take a lot of effort to make, or find. Some might just not be possible to obtain, like pigs blood. In the UK I'm fairly sure this cannot be sold to the public, or possibly only in a dry form. These things sound fairly negative, and I suppose are, along with Nilssons tendancy to always insist upon "Perfect" chanterelles or "Exceptional" quality cloudberries, say. His grading system of good, very good, perfect and exceptional is a bit confusing sometimes, and some recipes are rather vague in other ways. I suspect this is deliberate, encouraging anyone attempting recreations of his cuisine to find their own path, and to experiment.
These gripes are minor and probably pedantic, as its not really about the ingredients. Its about the concept. The book, overall, is awe inspiring. Magnus' use of his environment, and embracing its limitations as a challenge to his skills as a chef, is (I found anyway) rather moving. You won't find him using anything other than what is available, in season, yet of incredibly high quality. E.g. Lemons don't grow in Sweden. So, no lemons in the kitchen. Instead, he seems to have around 100 bottles of vinegar, made with whatever he can get his hands on via a multitude of different methods.
This book has made me really think hard about the land where I live. About how I could be using what is available naturally and THINKING about it, being inventive and creative, rather than buying something that has been forced, or shipped halfway around the world, because a recipe calls for it, or it goes with whatever piece of meat/fish I have in the fridge. It has changed the way I look at everything, really. I'm only an amateur chef, its a hobby, but I've never felt more excited to experiment; to get to know my surroundings more, and to be brave with whatever I make. Fantastic, I can't recommend it enough! 4.5 Stars. I need a good plant guide or I shall eventually poison myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Editor on holidays?, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Fäviken (Hardcover)
Although I will probably never attempt to cook any recipe from the book - all are elaborated and difficult to execute - I could not put the book down and read it at one go. It did change the way I look at food in general and I re-discovered some of the techniques my grandma taught me. I think this is the book's key attraction: its ability to bring back the memories perhaps from very long time ago through his recipes. Being vegetarian for the past 20 years, I promise it never occurred to me to pick and cook "autumn leaves from last winter". The long walks in a wet forest in autumn when I was a child immediately sprang to mind, I could almost smell the dish (that also featured freshly picked and sauteed mushrooms. And no, I will not be cooking this any time soon!)
What I was not impressed by, was the overall editing job on this otherwise beautiful book. It appears there was no editor or s/he was clearly on vacation when this book went to press. Occasional wrong spelling, bad grammar, nonsensical sentence really does not do a justice to a chef obsessed with perfection of his meals. He would deserve an editor with a similar attitude to his/her work - what a gem this book would be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best present ever !, 11 Dec 2012
This review is from: Fäviken (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book, beautifully printed, incredibly detailed recipes, just the best present to give anyone, it was very gratefully received.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite content, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Fäviken (Hardcover)
Excellent Swedish cook book!!! Amazing photos, exquisite recipes and perfect narration. A must have recipe book whether a professional or an amatier chef

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, recipes, pictures etc, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Fäviken (Hardcover)
I really like this book. It really captures the regional specialities of the area. I must say that I did have trouble locating some of the ingredients. For example, "vinegar fermented in a burnt out stump of a beech tree" is something that the local Waitrose still does not sell (irony) - That aside, with a bit of substitution and some imagination, you can create some really regional Swedish dishes with that Magnus Nilsson touch at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worlds most exclusive restaurant, and I haven't visited..., 22 Mar 2014
Marc Ingvorsen (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fäviken (Hardcover)
Magnus Nillson, is a great chef, like a professor, doctor or super geek. Creates only the best food possible within his reach, and it should be amazing! So is the reading. For me a professional chef its even have new info, that only Magnus has found. Within his deep passion for biodiversty, local ingredients and the way of living life only a few could do. The book is a couple of years old. Now their is more then 6 month waiting for a night at Faviken. I will save my hard earned money for a trip to jemtland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing recipes from a very different culture!, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Fäviken (Hardcover)
This a lovely book, containing some great photos and a fascinating account of a very different way of approaching food.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 10 Jan 2014
T. Jones - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fäviken (Hardcover)
stunning book, beautiful quality and the content is excellent. not exactly everyday recipes but great images and text and the skill of this chef and his kitchen is clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best food books around., 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fäviken (Hardcover)
Living in northern Sweden, I am lucky to share the nature that is found in the book. When it comes to ingredients, it obviously features some things more easily found in the northern forest or nordic countries. Sweden is where he is from and where his restaurant is.

More important than location and ingredients however, is the philosophy behind the chef. Magnus Nilsson cooks with his heart and soul. It will be his attitude to food and cooking that will inspire you, not the availability of some of the ingredients.

Being only a few hours drive away, I'm dreaming of a trip to this restaurant with my wife in the future. I'd better start saving the pennies...

4.0 out of 5 stars Scandinavian cookery, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Fäviken (Hardcover)
Book bought for a professional chef as a birthday gift.
He reports that it contains some very interesting concepts regarding local scouring of ingredients.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Fäviken
Fäviken by William Buford (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2012)