5.0 out of 5 stars stop press! son cooks meal.
Amazing. My son (19) has just gone off to live away from home. As a parting shot at parenting, I gave him this book to make up for the fact that I rather failed in 'teaching him to cook' department . He is neither a reader nor a cook - and now he is both. His comment on his first meal was "well whats all the cooking fuss about - that was pretty straightforward". He...
Published on 8 Dec. 2010 by marymary

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a novice cook
Not really what I expected it to be, don't know if it will be of much help to the person I am giving it to.
Published 16 months ago by margaret hyland

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic clear book with photographs for every step!, 12 Dec. 2010
This review is from: What to Cook and How to Cook It (Hardcover)
Easy to follow recipies,clearly set out with lovely photographs that show you exactly what raw ingredients to start out with through to what the cooked dish will look like. The taste of all the dishes I have tried has been amazing and nothing has failed yet!Well worth the money for good honest food recipies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginner and experienced cooks, 23 Jan. 2011
This review is from: What to Cook and How to Cook It (Hardcover)
We bought this book for our 30 year old son who enjoys cooking for his family. It has proven to be an excellent buy and has given him new ideas.
The recipes range from very simple to more complex ones, however the guidance notes / instructions are both easy to follow and comprehensive, these are. accompanied by pictures / diagrams. The book is divided into sections covering breakfasts, lunch, dinner and deserts so it is eay to find what you want when you want it.

5.0 out of 5 stars detailed culinary techiques, 30 Sept. 2012
This review is from: What to Cook and How to Cook It (Hardcover)
What distiguishes this book from other cook books is a level of details.
Why do many other books don't show such important things as
1) what shape and size should food to be cut?
2) how do dish should look like at each stage (e.g. consistency etc.) ?
Why do other books assume such things known?
These details are important for the final result and they
give you confidence in what you are doing. At each stage you can see if you
are on the right track or not.

Another feature of this book is that it uses simple, common staple food.
No fancy ingredients. And not that many ingredients in each dish.
Simple food but cooked properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for anyone who loves cooking!, 9 Oct. 2011
This review is from: What to Cook and How to Cook It (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my husband when he expressed an interest in cooking. We have had it for over a year and still love it and use it often. Many of our favourite recipes are from this book and we have since bought copies for various family members - this is the only book I feel happy recommending to people.

The book includes many, many clear pictures and detailed instructions. It is so easy to follow! We have found that, despite owning many other highly-rated cookbooks, no other cookbook compares to this in terms of layout and instructions. We have cooked and baked nearly everything in this book and it has always been delicious and flavoursome.

4.0 out of 5 stars They are both fairly new to cooking and this book has easy to follow receipts, 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: What to Cook and How to Cook It (Hardcover)
I already have a copy but bought it as a present for my young grandson and his partner. They are both fairly new to cooking and this book has easy to follow receipts, which will suit them fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for novice of western food, 20 Jun. 2011
T. Tran "olive" (luxembourg) - See all my reviews
This review is from: What to Cook and How to Cook It (Hardcover)
I am a confident cook but only with Asian dishes, so I find this book very useful. I've tried a number of recipes (greek salad, steak with garlic butter, etc) and they all turned out very good. My neighbor who is not so interested in cooking also found the book charming, and she bought one and used it very often.

In summary, what I like about the book:
-Step by step instruction with high quality pictures
-Tips from Jane in the recipes
-Simple, practical but delicious food
-Provides inspiration and motivation to cook at home

The book may be too basic for experienced cook in Western cuisine though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best beginner cookbook, 28 May 2011
May 2011

Bought this cookbook for my son (in his 20s) just moved out on his own. Very impressed with content. Clear instructions with illustrations for the ingredients and the final dish. A beginner may not know some of the ingredients and therefore the pictures are a great help. Good definitions of cooking techniques (basic). Recipes included are food you actually want to cook each day, my son has since cooked a meal for the family which he found very easy - so impressed bought one just recently for myself!What to Cook and How to Cook it

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 19 Oct. 2010
This review is from: What to Cook and How to Cook It (Hardcover)
This book is great. I find some cookbooks frustrating when the instructions are too confusing to follow, or when they don't have pictures to show what your creation is supposed to look like. This book has both - the step by step guide makes it so easy and the pictures let you know that you're doing everything right. I've made 3 of the recipes already and they all turned out so tasty and looked just like the pictures. The actual book is also very nice - a big hardback with two ribbon bookmarks to save pages - would make a great present. I would definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful cook book, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: What to Cook and How to Cook It (Hardcover)
This is a great cookbook. Excellent photography and the right collection of good dishes makes it an excellent first proper cook book. Great for students to take to uni. Great for people who at last want to learn to cook - or just get things right for once. This was bought for my 12 year old (made him feel all grown up as it is an older book than usual kids cookbooks) and he has been really appreciative of all the step by step pics. Beautiful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing cookbook!, 22 Oct. 2011
This review is from: What to Cook and How to Cook It (Hardcover)
This book is truly wonderful.. I got it as a gift last Christmas and have been wowing my boyfriend ever since! I will definitely be giving it as a gift to my friends this year! I was a total Nigella fanatic but this book has now got me hooked! It is wonderfully displayed...like no other cookbook I have seen... and what is more.. the recipes are explained so well that they turn out just like the pics in the book! Thanks Rob and Michelle!!

What to Cook and How to Cook It
What to Cook and How to Cook It by Jane Hornby (Hardcover - 2 Oct. 2010)