4.0 out of 5 stars A great collection of terrine recipes
Published on 30 April 2008 by Cassie's friend

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I should have believed the other reviewers before buying this book.
Nice pictures, some nice recipes but some have nothing whatsoever to do with Terrines in any shape or form.
Published on 16 Oct. 2009 by Mrs. Pj Dilworth

4.0 out of 5 stars A great collection of terrine recipes, 30 April 2008
This review is from: Terrine (Hardcover)
I absolutely love terrines and pates so when I got this book I was over the moon. The recipes are wonderful with most of the ingredients easy to get hold of. Admittedly the cheese ones are probably the furthest from traditional terrines but given the number of interesting vegetable, fish, meat and dessert recipes that is more than made up for. I also liked the pictures. They looked like real and appetizing food. Any serious cook who wants to add to their cookery book collection should buy this book. I can't wait to try the oxtail terrine, rabbit rilletes and langoustine terrine. If you all you want is a coffee table book with pretty pictures and little substance then you probably won't like it but if you want to cook then give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch meat lovers drool over these recipes...., 28 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Terrine (Hardcover)
Stephane Reynaud is a French bloke - to quote the 'blurb' in the front: "a celebrated French chef who comes from a family of butchers". He has focussed on giving us many traditional and regional recipes in this book.

Being entitled "Terrines", it is indeed a celebration of terrines - of a variety I would never have imagined! He starts off with Vegetable Terrines - like Ratatouille Terrine, and Artichoke and Porcini Terrine, then moves on to your traditional terrines like Veal Terrine with Muscat, and Duck and Juniper Terrine, then he completes the meal with the likes of Strawberry and Fresh Mint Terrine or Coffee Terrine.

I think we need to take our blinkers off in regard to what we classify as a 'terrine'. Prior to reading this book, I would have generalised a terrine by calling a 'meatloaf' a terrine of sorts. Having read this book, I think it looks like you can call many things a terrine - like a pate, or a loaf of something, or even a 'pile' (Haddock and Puy Lentil Terrine) of something edible in a glass.
I read this book in tandem with his previous book entitled "Pork and Sons" - which obviously contains squillions of pork and related recipes.

I can see meat lovers absolutely drooling over the recipes in this book, as Stephane is obviously passionate about his subject. And I know the French love to use everything in their cookery, and abhor waste, so the recipes I rapidly shut the book on (the Pigs Ears, or the Parfait of Pigs Liver and Muscatel) would fill a Frenchperson with pure glee.

I know my dad would love the book, so I would tend to buy it as a present for my Dad on his birthday.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just meat..., 21 May 2008
This review is from: Terrine (Hardcover)
What's good is the variety of different terrines. Before I bought this book, I thought they had to be meat based. You could have a great dinner party making a vegetable, a meat, a fish, a cheese and a dessert terrine, no hassle as everything could be made in advance. Most of the recipes are quite simple, the book looks great and is a good price too. Not quite sure about Cook guru's review, I like the pictures in this book, each of the recipes is illustrated with a picture of the finished Terrine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Phaidon classic, 6 July 2010
This review is from: Terrine (Hardcover)
Phaidon publish such beautiful books - no e-reader could compete!
The book is full of interesting recipes - sweet as well as savoury, including meat, fish and vegetarian terrines - illustrated with beautiful photographs. I didn't buy it for me, so can't comment on how the recipes turn out, although generally I'm a big fan of Stephane Reynaud and his approach to food.
But it certainly is a thing of beauty.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cook book - a pleasure to read and use, 24 Sept. 2010
Mrs "Love all sorts of books, Eng Lit degree,... (Potterton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Terrine (Hardcover)
Wow - wouldn't have bought this without having already enjoyed Ripailles by the same author. Who would have thought there could be so many recipes and different kinds of terrines? Really looking forward to working through these recipes! will suit every taste - meat, fish, vegetable!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Cook Book, 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Terrine (Hardcover)
I have been looking for a terrine Cook book for quite a while as I think terrines are ideal when entertaining as you can get everything prepared in advance. This book has a very good selection fish, meat, sweet etc. the book was delivered inside the estimated timing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrine Book, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Terrine (Hardcover)
This book has recipes which are very fancy and not for the faint hearted. Beautiful pictures and recipies. Lovely gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great receipes, 12 May 2013
Petr (Czech republic) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Terrine (Hardcover)
Great terrine book! I really love it. Specialy ox tail terrine I have to recommend. Its quite easy and the taste....

5.0 out of 5 stars A real beauty..., 29 July 2011
This review is from: Terrine (Hardcover)
Like a lot of people it seems, I'm something of a Phaidon Cookbook junky. Whatever else you can say they're always so beautifully put together - always a stunning addition to the kitchen bookshelves. I'll admit that some may have found their way there never to be consulted again (except for mouthwatering glances). This is not one of them.

Reynaud's terrines are nicely organized - there's a five-course, terrine-based meal in here I know it - into Veg, Fish, Meat, Cheese and Desserts. The variety in recipes is great, with simple and more challenging terrines for the home cook. For me the 4 sauces for terrines at the end of each section was a delight. Simple, elegant, easy accompaniments for the main show.

To cut the foodie rambling short this is a fantastic book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 4 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Terrine (Hardcover)
NOT QUITE WHAT I EXPECTED BUT WILL TRY SOME OF THE RECIPES.

Terrine
Terrine by Stéphane Reynaud (Hardcover - 1 Feb. 2008)