5.0 out of 5 stars Je Sais a good book
This is to French cooking, what 'Silver Spoon' is to Italian, '1080 Recipes' is to Spanish and the recent 'Vefa's Kitchen' is to Greek. Which is to say, it's published by Phaidon, it's huge and it has many many recipes that are both authentic and usually very easy to make at home too. Not to mention, delicious.

The food is often such that you could not get at a...
Published on 11 Oct 2009 by Colin J. Herd

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh my, had this and the French ed for like, 5 minutes, and already a bad translation mistake!
I ordered this and the current edition of the French version 'Je sais cuisiner' on the same day not long ago. Due to couriers' vagaries I received the English version first and it is very impressive: huge, heavy, crammed with yummy French home cooking classics and with not too many illustrations to reduce the space for recipes. The book is organised into a reasonably...
Published on 20 Oct 2011 by magdalene42

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 29 Dec 2009
ze chef (market harborough uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Know How to Cook (Hardcover)
i bought this book for my girlfriend for christmas (risky i know!) she loved it and we have made two recipes already. its easy to follow and has loads of info in it as well as a huge amount of recipes! would 100% recommend this to anyone who loves cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward and full of ideas, 31 May 2013
This review is from: I Know How to Cook (Hardcover)
This is probably France's answer to Delia, though it predates Delia by decades. This is a great beginners book and perfect for quick ideas. However the instructions are very brief so if you are an anxious cook you might want more detailed instructions. Book arrived in near perfect condition! A fabulous bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars You certainly do.., 27 Mar 2013
Mr. M. E. Lock "melock" (kuwait) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Know How to Cook (Hardcover)
I would have to recommend this to everyone in the whole world....probably because the recipes like Roast Woodcocks take me back to a lovely time in my childhood when food was prepared like this.....it has enlivened my appetite for cooking, and I want to try every recipe I read, time to stop writing and to start cooking, do not fail to add this book to your repertoire it is probably the only book you will need.....melock

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook on French Cuisine, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: I Know How to Cook (Hardcover)
This book is very good and in detail when it comes to french cuisine.
Very good and easy to follow both for amateurs and for professionals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Real French cooking primer, 14 Oct 2012
Mr. D. Greenwood "Dave G." (BRIDPORT, Dorset.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Know How to Cook (Hardcover)
And it is in English, so no more rummaging for the dictionary. The illustrations are not up to the original french edition photographs but if you wish to know how to cook a duck's quack in aspic then this is the book for you. Comprehensive, easy to read and it was nice to know that you could get your own back on Weaver fish by cooking them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Encyclopaedic, 10 Feb 2012
Syriat - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I Know How to Cook (Hardcover)
Phaidon seem to have a hit a niche recently by translating or creating foreign cookery books. This is the best selling French cookbook translated with almost 100 pages. The downfall of all these books is that there is a lack of illustrations and the translations can sometimes be an issue. For me the first problem isn't one as I can do without and the second one I haven't come across with this volume.

Some recipes are not particularly French. However, the classics are here. There are also some sections with advice (for bottling jams and marmalades or for cooking the different meats and vegetables. This is a solid cookbook with a lot of recipes that are well written and easy to follow. The results, so far, have been good for me and I pick it up and try something new every now and again.

This is a book which will not inspire you with pictures. It will act as you main reference for French style cookery and will be your go to guide when you want to cook anything in that vein.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 6 Jan 2011
This review is from: I Know How to Cook (Hardcover)
We have heard a lot about this book while in France and I must say if you like good cooking it is certaintly worth the money and great reading. A great food bible just like Mrs Beetons !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book if you like to cook., 7 Jan 2010
This review is from: I Know How to Cook (Hardcover)
It's a good read, excellent and straightforward traditional French recipes, most not too complicated. And it even tells you how to make your own lard!

1.0 out of 5 stars Such anticipation...to be sadly disappointed, 20 May 2012
A. Rehlinger (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Know How to Cook (Hardcover)
I bought this when it first came out, so excited about it's arrival. However, tonight I logged on to see if I could sell it here second hand. If you're interested let me know..its a tome so the shipping is the real cost. Having read through the reviews decided to add my 2pence to the equation, I feel the crowd isn't representing a true picture.

I have to agree with others who have given low stars...Perhaps those who are raving about it have been caught up in the flush of Ginette's Choc&Zucc delightful blog and aura, easy to understand, she's a joy. Doubtful they have actually made anything substantial from the book yet. And sure there are simple sure fire concoctions--but then I didn't need the book for those anyway. Its true that the quality and unwieldy nature of this tome of a book make it a not very user friendly publication for its purpose. Most annoying, and as one reviewer also pointed out, are the unacceptable mistakes which are too often to make it a trustworthy regular 'go to' -which was its original intention. I kept thinking it was me...what was I doing wrong...and not just on one or two recipes. So was actually 'relieved' to read that the translation/edition was incorrect. It should really be corrected before more are sold. And I see she now has a French baking book out via Phaidon, too, but as baking really does require fine tuning, that is a definite no go. This was more than disappointing as I was SOOOO looking forward to this coming out in English as my French is not up to scratch, particularly with the finer recipes. Sad, as I love Ginette Mathiot's enthusiasm and appreciate and value her insight and knowledge...but unfortunately the accuracy did not make it through to this edition. Very disappointed.

No doubt I won't be able to sell my copy now, hmpf!

5.0 out of 5 stars French cooking at its best and easyest, 3 Dec 2009
Mr. A. Bisson (Guernsey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Know How to Cook (Hardcover)
If you love french food this will lead you through all the ways of creating it. A must for every foodies kitchen, this will give you meals even better than mother ever made.

ARRAY(0xaf2bb84c)

I Know How to Cook
I Know How to Cook by Ginette Mathiot (Hardcover - 15 Sep 2009)
22.99