4.0 out of 5 stars lots and lots of photos, 5 April 2010
light (brighton) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Gothic & Lolita (Paperback)
This book is basically a collection of photos taken around the streets of Harajuku in Japan of people dressed mainly in gothic or lolita styles. Each page also has a few notes about the potraits - e.g. moniker, age, where they sourced some of the clothes and what they are currently inspired by.

At first I was quite disappointed by it - I thought there would be more explanations and written details about gothic lolita other than the blurb inside the back cover (which is basically the amazon description). However, the photos did draw me in. Some are not always successful - why are photos of "fruits" included in a gothic and lolita themed book? and why were some included at all , for example a girl dressed in a bikini and looking out of it, and other photos of girls in plastic adult shop style clothes? My dad glimpsed one of these and became quite worried about my gothic lolita interest. The book is also not about gothic lolita exclusively but gothic AND lolita so there are lots of photos of goths and Cybergoths - which I didn't find so interesting as I see lots of these on the streets or going to clubs in the UK.

I found the gender bending photos interesting - definetely some guys in there dressed as lolitas and a great girl "prince". My favourite photos were taken in bedrooms with the gothic lolitas surrounded by their personal effects. I find I often open the book and end up looking through it for quite a while, discovering new things. I also thought it was interesting where they sourced clothes - they seem obsessed with Vivienne Westwood shoes - the same pair appear in numerous shots.

I am glad I got this book - as there is very little out there about GL but I prefer my Tokyopop english Gothic and Lolita bibles for the variety of articles and more innocent fun feel of them.

Does anyone who has this book know if the dog on the front cover is fake? I think it is, but his position changes on the photo in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars gothic treat, 11 Dec 2011
This review is from: Gothic & Lolita (Paperback)
It's a real treat to browse this excellent books, full of excellent quality pictures, and discover the amazing creativity behind those outfits.
A must for anyone interested in japanese subcultures, crazy costumes and else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gothic and lolita love ..., 7 Jun 2009
E. Badger (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gothic & Lolita (Paperback)
I purchased this book as i loved its predisesor 'fruits'. I love the fashion images of the Harajuku girls and boys, this edition focuses especially on the gothic and lolita style which I enjoyed very much. I would recomend to anyone interested in style/fashion or cultural study.

4.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Gothic & Lolita (Paperback)
Interesting and creative styles. Some a little over the top but inspiring enough to come up with own designs and ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars love the pics!, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Gothic & Lolita (Paperback)
I'm a very big fin of fashion from Japin, this book was very well made,
alot of the pics are 'old' now but I still enjoy looking at it,
has alot of other fasion in, cyber, goth, to the getting more well known lolita,
would be nice if they made a new one, some of the pics are oever 10years old now.
but still happy to have this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 23 Oct 2011
This review is from: Gothic & Lolita (Paperback)
I've wanted this book for forever, and finally, here on Amazon I could get it! It was cheap and the quality was at the top! I like this book very much because the entire book is filled with pictures of the dark/underground styles in Japan, from gothic lolita, to lolita, to cyber, to punk! It's really inspiring and fun to look through this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Gothic & Lolita (Paperback)
This book, Gothic & Lolita, is all about Japanese street fashion today in Japan, mostly Gothic & Lolita as the title suggests. The book is huge and packed full of glossy, full page photographs of all kinds of people wearing beautiful and unusual outfits - some are obviously coming out of clubs and gigs at night, some are shopping, some are going their day to day business - all beautiful, unique and amazing. There are a few photos that aren't considers "Gothic" or "Lolita" and are more Decora and FRUiTS but who cares? If you're truly into alternative/Japanese street fashion you will appreciate all the different styles and looks.

I bought this book as it has been on my wishlist of fashion books and managed to get it cheap. I have not been disappointed and even though, over the course of a few nightly sessions, have finished looking at all the gorgeous outfits and reading the info (where they got the clothes, their point of fashion and current obsession) I know I'll continue to look over it for many years to come as I have done with my Gothic & Lolita Bibles.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Fruits you will like this book!, 13 Mar 2011
E. Yallop (leicester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gothic & Lolita (Paperback)
I own 'Fruits' and 'Fresh Fruits' and bought this which is very similar. It's laid out in a similar way but focuses more on gothic and (gothic, sweet etc...)lolita styles. If you like the Fruits books then you will love this one too!

Gothic & Lolita
Gothic & Lolita by Katsuhiko Ishikawa (Paperback - 27 April 2007)