5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Overview, 11 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Minimalists (20th Century Composers) (Paperback)
Firstly let me make a few things clear. Firstly I've never studied music. I appreciate it, listen to a lot of it, and find a lot to like in many backwaters of musicality. However, when it comes to an academic discussion of music I'm pretty much dead in the water. I'm simply the type of person who likes what they like.

I found myself being inducted into the work of minimalists through my love of Jazz (which itself stemmed from my years if listening to rock). I was a punk rocker back in the day, and the energy of punk was soon replaced for me by the energy of avant garde musicians. Somewhere in there I found Phillip Glass, Steve Reich, John Adams, and Gavin Bryars. I'm not exactly sure of the path.... probably via Eno, Byrne and the like....

I loved minimalism the very first time I heard it. However, reading about it - the people that wrote and performed it, the music itself - proved very difficult. Not being educated in music academically meant I didn't understand much of what was written. In the end, I learned little.

I stumbled upon this book and bought it on a whim. And what a revelation it is. Finally.... FINALLY.... a book written about serious music with the layman in mind. This book never once left me grasping at straws, yet it never felt dumbed down either. Instead it read like a book written by a sincere individual who had a deep understanding and appreciation for the subject matter - and knew the simplicity of the thing. Why is so much writing on minimalism so complex?!?

This book is simply superb. I'd recommend it for anyone with the remotest interest in the subject matter. I recommend it especially to those, like me, who simply like the music because they like it. Think of me as rather stupid if you will, and I need someone who can be an everyman - to lead me to a greater appreciation and understanding. This book did that.

I'm a better listener for having read this book. And the music means just that little bit more. I found things to investigate, revisit, and consider. And that's important.

Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent portrait of the minimalist world., 14 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Minimalists (20th Century Composers) (Paperback)
Excellent book on the minimalist world.

It will give you insight into a the lives of the composers, their thoughts, their paths and their works. The only fault? a bit too short!

Minimalists (20th Century Composers)
Minimalists (20th Century Composers) by K Robert Schwartz (Paperback - 1 Mar. 2008)