Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 January 2008
Can dressing up be art? How Do you paint feelings? Can you paint a noise? This book stimulates children's own creativity and imagination by getting them to question why artists do the things they do. It contains about 30 reproductions of paintings and art work from a mix of genres and explains what they are about and how they were created as well as giving detail on the artists lives. After we bought this and the first art book we took our son to The National Gallery to see many of the works for real and having already had a basic introduction through this book he was utterly fasicnated. Adults can learn from this too and I would buy it for any child from 5+ What is so lovely about this book is the fact that you can read it on so many differnent levels. Santa delivered the Art Book 2 to this household at Christmas after the success of the Art Book 1 last year.
on 25 July 2008
Amanda Renshaw's second volume on Art is as exciting as the first. It will interest readers from about age 7-11 years in what artists do and how they make their decisions. Built around the work of thirty artists, the book is well organised in sections with enticing titles like `Spot the difference', `Never trust a painting' and `Spots'. The book's large format makes it possible for readers to see the detail within the pictures. Its main strength is the skill the author shows in inviting young readers into the works and helping them speculate and ask the questions that lead to a deeper response. Why does Gainsborough leave Mr and Mrs Andrews unfinished? What would it be like to be present at the party portrayed in Jam Steen's The Christening Feast? Parents and teachers will find this book helpful as children explore the world of art.
on 25 January 2011
We have both books in this series and they are both great.

My 8 year old daughter will sit down and read this book to herself and we also have fun reading it together and discussing the pictures. There is a good range of art in the book - not just paintings - and some have really taken her imagination.

Highly recommended.
on 4 February 2013
When I looked at this book I wished I could spend a lot more time with it and do some of the things it suggested. The nine year old, who likes painting and drawing, said it was great and has used it with the rest of his family in an 'art afternoon', when the weather was too bad to go out.
on 20 July 2013
I already own Bk. 1 and have often used it with my Reception class. This is a brilliant follow up and will help me to introduce children to great works of art and artistic techniques.
on 3 June 2013
This book two is a hit for sure! We could all learn a lot more now about a favorite subject.
on 17 March 2016
great book - intro to art for children made in very clever, interesting way!