on 8 April 2009
This is a wonderful book to obtain for a look at the array of post modern art on drawings. Beautifully produced - but text is tiny and printed in grey - which has a lovely visual affect but terrible for my poor eye sight! but HEH - THE DRAWINGS ARE FULL PAGE, OR MORE AND BEAUTIFULLY PRINTED. So treat yourself time and time again at the images to be enjoyed in this book. It is such a good value and a treat to have on any book shelf. So glad that another art student brought it in one day - because a quick look through this and I was home ordering myself a copy. You will see if you buy your own. the paper they use feels luxurious too. Nice to see a work of art on art!
on 5 February 2016
I fully agree with the other one star ratings, although there are a few drawings that I like, the majority is dross, lazy kiddy scribbles; A level at best. I was recommended to buy this rubbish as part of a degree course, I am becoming aware that the brainwashed people are calling this "art"; question : would you want it framed on your wall? How would any of these stand up against a sketch by Rembrandt or Degas or Leonardo da Vinci? I don't think so!
My other irritation with this book, is the tiny text in what can only be described as tope in a weird scawling font-aimed very obviously at teenager with perfect eyesight- I can't even read it with reading glasses. Pretentious nonsense, not worth the nasty cheap paper it's printed on!
on 9 November 2007
This is a good book giving a visual and descritive insight into many artists. It explores their view and outlook and anspiration for art. I was recomended this book from my arts mentor to help in my development and feel it has done the trick. it brings art from all over the world and analysis it intellectually. although i don't like some of the art it still gives me an understanding of form and presentation. it is printing on good quality paper and is a book that you will flick through time and time again.
on 18 October 2013
I'm studying Fine Art so it has inspired me with ideas and lots of artists to research whenever I'm at a dead end. The book is printed upon good quality paper and overall, is a special book; however lugging mine around has already scuffed and torn a little :( There is a substantial amount of information on each artist and lots of good examples of their work.
on 12 October 2010
I love this book and can never tire of it, every time I open it I find something new.
Well wort the money, and more!
on 22 November 2014
Necessary reference book for any art student, contemporary art collector or even artist. Amazing selection of various styles, very engaging. Such a strong update on an art scene - drawing is a medium growing in strength, gaining it's own powerful voice and this book reflects it so well. Lovely publishing touches - choice of paper, type of cut, little footnotes - so much attention to detail!
on 8 December 2009
I think this is a really good reference book on contemporary drawing, however if you are looking for something with traditional drawing this probably isn't the book for you.

I am interested to know though about other buyers reviews, the pages on the right hand side of my copy are not cut smoothly so I sent it back as amazon couldn't tell me if it was meant to be like this but the next copy was like this aswell but I am not convinced this is right, the down side to this is that you can't flick through the pages easily and it's not the sort of book you read in one go.
on 24 December 2012
A thorough exploration of contemporary drawing practices, with images from a wide section of the international arts community, highly recommend.
on 22 February 2015
as part of my art course, a load of pretentious codswallop.
on 28 December 2010
I ordered this after falling for the stunning Vitamin Ph book in this series. I was hugely disappointed in what passes for drawing in contemporary art, just as I was with the work done on the Illustration MA that ran along side my Photography MA. 'Self-obsessed', 'puerile', 'sixth-form' and 'juvenilia' are some of the words that spring to mind; 'elegant', 'inspiring', 'intriguing' and 'sophisticated' are not. (And Vitamin P is not much better.)

If you're into contemporary drawing already, then you probably know what to expect from this book, so what you get shouldn't be a disappointment.

If you're just into drawing FOR THE LOVE OF IT, and not FOR THE FINE ART OF IT, then you may be very shocked by what passes for drawing in this book. Conceptually it's contents may be all kinds of wonderful (though it leaves me cold), but *technically* 99.9% of it is on a parr with what my kids do when they're drawing Pokemon.