Format: Hardcover|Change

on 27 October 2007
This book is fantastic. Not only is it a great introduction to some of the most famous works of art in the world but it is also a lot of fun. It inspires imagination and helps children (and adults) to think about what they are looking at and what their interpretation is. I will be interested to see how my 6 year old's perception changes as she gets older. It makes a great change to the usual bedtime storytelling and is well worth buying!
on 1 November 2007
Can dressing up be art? How Do you paint feelings? Can you paint a noise? This book stimulates children's own creativity and imagination by getting them to question why artists do the things they do. It contains about 30 reproductions of paintings and art work from a mix of genres and explains what they are about and how they were created as well as giving detail on the artists lives. After we bought this we took our son to The National Gallery to see many of the works for real and having already had a basic introduction through this book he was utterly fasicnated. Adults can learn from this too and I would buy it for any child from 5+ What is so lovely about this book is the fact that you can read it on so many differnent levels. There is a second book just out and I'm sure Santa will be delivering it to this household at Christmas.
on 8 April 2011
My 9 year old son shows a real talent for art, and being keen to promote this interest I was looking for a book to gently introduce him to some classic art. After trawling around Amazon I bought this book based on the other reviews, and I am not in the least bit disappointed with it! It is a fascinating, interesting book, and from the minute my children started looking through it, it provoked discussion and fired their imaginations. My 6 year old daughter started trying to come up with answers to "why do you think this picture (the Mona Lisa) was so important to Leonardo (da Vinci)?", and my son started to draw his version of Monet's Waterlily Pond. Brilliant!
One tiny criticism (and I'm being really picky here) is that to find out the date of the paintings or the birth/death date of the artists etc you have to refer to the "Want to know more" section at the back of the book. In my opinion it would be easier for a child if the "Want to know more" information was on the actual page with the painting.
But all in all a FANTASTIC book!
on 29 July 2009
Would thoroughly recommend this book for the young artist or young who are interested in artists, techniques, art history. Thoroughly enjoyed by our 7 yr old and us.
on 13 January 2008
I bought this book for my 4 year old daughter who is a fabulous artist. Since starting school, her art has changed to be more immature than it had been before. I soon realized, after watching her in class, that it was because she was copying the way the other kids were drawing! I bought this book for her after a discussion with her about different types of art and how we didn't all have to be the same.
Well, she absolutely adores it. We spent over an hour reading through it when we first got it and since then it is constantly being used. We now have a painting of water lilies and a colourful Japanese bridge, inspired by Monet. In addition she's done a few drawings of shapes that are "put together to look like people", a la Joan Miro. It's really inspired her to be creative.
It manages to engage children with it's simple yet not at all condescending text and great full page illustrations. We have not only enjoyed looking at the variety of art but have learned lots as well.
on 17 December 2012
My 6 year old granddaughter loves the book! She enjoys the images and the easy to read description of the artists.
on 4 February 2013
This is the first book out of 2 - together they made a 'great' present for a nine year old who likes painting and looking at pictures from the past, or present. Very good value for money.
on 27 January 2014
after studying various artists at school bought this for my boys aged 7 and 9, they love it , it has inspired them to create their own art and prompts interesting discussions on the artists motives, We would definitely reccomend
on 8 October 2015
Bought this for my friend's daughter as a birthday gift, as she enjoys art and drawing. The book is well designed for children, (she is 8, but this would be suitable for children several years older). There are lots of different styles of art and painting explored in this book, from both modern and traditional works, with lots of well known and recognisable works, along with more unusual and obscure ones too. Interesting and educational. Children may simply choose to look at the pictures themselves, though sharing it with an adult could be educational for both.
on 31 January 2012
I bought this book to use for teaching. It features a variety of artists and different art work which makes it flexible to use for art/literacy projects. Also good to introduce a particular artist.