5.0 out of 5 stars Very British Recipes With A Little Ooh La La
I bought this book on a whim, knowing nothing about the restaurant but I wanted a recipe book of baking that was a little different. Moving a restaurant from London to Paris I guessed the recipes had to be pretty good and I wasn't disappointed.

Published on 28 Nov 2006 by Big Knickers

3.0 out of 5 stars Nicely presented and good content - so far as it goes
Even though the title says Bakery, and the contents say Cafe, this book is aimed squarely at home-cooking from quality ingredients. And, as such, it does a good, if parsimonious, job.

Here you will find a selection of about one hundred of the recipes from the much-touted Rose Bakery in Paris. Divided into Techniques and Ingredients, Breakfast, Lunch, and...
Published on 3 July 2012 by Thomas Holt

5.0 out of 5 stars Very British Recipes With A Little Ooh La La, 28 Nov 2006
This review is from: Breakfast, Lunch, Tea: The Many Little Meals of Rose Bakery (Hardcover)

The book takes you through a typical day in the restaurant beginning, of course, with Breakfast. These recipes include Fruit, Juices & Smoothies, Cereals, Eggs, Pancakes and Scones (6 different scone recipes).

For Lunch there are Soups, Salads, Pastry (inc 5 tart recipes), Risottos and Main Courses (as if the other lunch dishes aren't enough).

Then for Tea there are Tarts, Cakes, Biscuits & Cookies, Tray Bakes and Pudding. 54 Tea recipes in all.

The photographs of their 'local' suppliers, customers, staff and interiors of the restaurant are charming and very avocative but I'm just disappointed there aren't enough pictures of the actual food.

Too many recipes to recommend but needless to say I can't wait to try them as they certainly have a little chi chi about them

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book - simplicity, no pretension -, 28 Oct 2006
A beautifully photographed book - and wonderful addition to a cook's collection -especially for someone looking for recipes that allow delicious ingredients to speak for themselves - simplicity & no pretension.

If you ever visited Rose & Jean-Charles' first restaurant/delicatessen Villandry when it was in Marylebone High Street and loved her soups, divine tarts and cakes - you'll find the same simplicity and style reflected in this book and about her bakery now in Paris.

The book has recipes for her signature small tarts (mushroom & chive or artichoke and pea, ricotta tomato and thyme), soups and lots of cakes and cookies - particularly delicious rolled fruit ones!

Rose & Jean-Charles have now created a bakery & restaurant hidden away in the 9th Arrondissement (you can easily miss it - even with the address as the entrance is so discrete.) They've quickly captured a loyal clientele there, as they had in London, who adore the simplicity of the food - maybe it's the only place in Paris to get waffles or boiled eggs and marmite solders for breakfast.

A distinctive green cover.

PS. From a very biased fan who's been inspired by Rose's cooking for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have booked my Eurostar!, 29 Oct 2007
J. M. Solomon "Juniper" (the Cotswolds UK) - See all my reviews
I read this from cover to cover as we drove through France to Switzerland. Had to wait a week before getting home to start trying the recipes.Within hours of being back, I made the maple scones and the Green bean soup which was very special.I feel that Rose is 'in tune' in the same way as Skye Gyngell and Diana Henry, whose books are both exciting and beautiful, yet so manageable for the enthusiastic family cook.I have a library of hundreds of cookbooks collected over nearly fifty years and have spent time cooking in Michelin star kitchens, but none of this excites me as much as the books of these three; and also the Lebanese and Mediterranean books of Nada Saleh.My husband doesn't know it yet but have booked Eurostar to Paris to sample the Rose Bakery atmosphere and food of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Number one favourite book, 22 April 2012
I adore this book! I was given it for Mother's Day and I love it. The recipes are easy to make and I love the fact that Rose is easy on the sugar. I've just made the carrot cake and it's almost gone as my family devoured it - everything tastes healthy and yummy. We now have the Banana smoothie for breakfast every day... But I wonder who came up with the Ricotta pancakes recipe (Sunday staple in our household) - was it Rose or was it Bill Grainger...... as both recipes are identical!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely recipes, 7 April 2014
Full of lovely recipes and photos. All I need now is some little square quiche tins and I'll be happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple cooking., 4 Nov 2013
My first introduction to Rose Carrarini and her bakery in Paris was when I saw her 'How to Boil an Egg' book advertised via the publisher Phaidon and decided it was a must have, as I was buying via Amazon I saw the Breakfast Lunch Tea' book by the same author and decided to buy both.
Again, great simple recipes, beautiful design layout and wonderful photography.
I recommend both books to cooks everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than a cook book, 17 May 2009
I had heard lots of great things about this British owned Parisian café so when I went to Paris last year I really wanted to visit it. I never actually found it but when I returned I discovered that this book had been written so I bought it.
It's much more than a cook book. It tells you the inspirations behind Rose Bakery, introduces you to the many people who contribute to its success and of course there are the fantastic recipes. I have already made the lemon cake and can't wait to try the brownie cheesecake!
With the book also providing a full address, what a great excuse to go back to Paris!

4.0 out of 5 stars Books and Covers, 17 Oct 2007
Rod Bryans "Creative Maven" (Jersey) - See all my reviews
OK, right off I was attracted to this book by the cover. Specifically the colour (why as I'm typing this, as this is a UK site, does it attempt to correct my spelling of colour to color?)the Typography and then the content. The little hand drawn map was cute.

It's beautifully designed and I agree with a fellow reviewer that the desaturated photo's really connect. So full credit to the publisher.

But the heart of any cookbook has firstly to be the ability to simply translate the recipes into good honest, tasty dishes and secondly to convey the passions of the writer so that we are tempted into having a go!

This book works on both fronts. Rose is a passionate cook and her recipes speak from the heart. I grew to like the book so much, that on a visit to Paris, I had to track down the source.

On a cold Sunday morning, I turned up with the family to sample the goods first hand. We weren't disappointed. The frank honesty of the place, its lovely staff, and Rose herself in situ made the visit an event. I remember looking at a box of recently delivered fat, juicy oranges and how healthily they glowed in the dark. It was testimony to the idea of sourcing fine ingredients to create great food.

Track her down you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most delicious cakes in the world!, 11 Jan 2012
I LOVE this book. Having first acquired it only three months ago, I have subsequently gifted it to my mother and a close friend, and have had many, many people asking me where I got the recipe from. Within three months, I've cooked more than a dozen recipes - from the famed carrot cake, through to scones and pancakes, and even one of the risottos - and they've all been amazing. The book itself is beautiful, the pictures tempting, and the recipes perfect. I cannot recommend this book enough, and if I could give it to every person that loved baking delicious cakes, I certainly would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Book!, 7 May 2007
I had a lot of fun trying some of the suggestions in this awesome cookbook! I say thanks to the author! Being a mother of three with a hubby to boot plus a full-time job outside of the house, I need all the help I can get in the kitchen. So, thanks again! I loved this book!

Breakfast, Lunch, Tea: The Many Little Meals of Rose Bakery
Breakfast, Lunch, Tea: The Many Little Meals of Rose Bakery by Rose Carrarini (Hardcover - 1 Jan 2006)