Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 April 2008
Summary : a fantastic resource illustrating and discussing a huge range of contemporary paintings, painting styles and painters

Reviewer : aging fine art student

I love this book and refer to it constantly. It is a treasure trove of images with comprehensive information about each painter and her or his work. The narratives, contributed by international artists, critics, curators and academics, cover influences and statements about the paintings as well as biographical information.

It's definitely a fairly detailed reference work rather than a coffee table book (if you want something to leave open looking trendy and knowledgeable something like Hoptman's 'Eight Propositions' might be a better buy). As a large, thick, heavy paperback I find it doesn't lie open well. The text is dense in a tiny font, making it quite difficult to browse, although the layout is attractive and the images large and very well reproduced.

I put off getting this for some time wanting to make sure that the books that I bought were those that I would enjoy and use regularly. I find that I go back to it several times a day at the moment for themes, research, techniques and the language of the current art scene. Sounds like its time I got a new book - but this really is a seminal work and exceptional value for money.
on 13 July 2010
This is one huge illustrative book with fantastic quality paper and illustrations of contemporary art work. If you are an art student - it is invaluable to your course work and wish I had gotten it years ago as a fantasic reference and resource for my work. As an art admirer for modern art it again is fantastic. I have had this book a year and I am still as fascinated by its contents as I was when I first got it... when my own imagination runs dry I refer to this book just to inspire me with techniques colours ideas.... it sparks the fire and passion of art. If you are looking for classical art in here forget it... its contemporary fine art. But what a wide range of styles and artists. The only criticism I would make is the very small font they have printed in and in soft grey or red - on white paper it is a demon to read! For all ages too... they all say they have difficulty reading it themselves [young teen agers that is] I actually bought a magnifying glass so I could read it - which is no problem because it has worked out to be an amazing peice of kit all round the home. This book is permanent on my coffee table or bedside cabinet. The price is amazing for the quality of paper and printing of colours because I have been lucky to have seen some of the paintings in exhibitions and they are as true as they can be... wonderful art book. Money well spent for an art student.
on 16 November 2009
Vitamin P is an absolutely brilliant visual reference of lots of new work out there in the wold of new painting. Essential reading for any Art students for references, ideas and stimulation. Small amount of biography on each artist, which could be more expansive about technique but generally great as it's so varied. Real bargain too for such a big book with great quality images.
on 25 November 2011
Yes great pics but you can't read the text! A comfortable font is 12 point - I think this must be about 6. The designer should be shot! The type is so small you really can't read it - and I"m NOT exaggerating. I have a large collection of art books and this is the first time I've had this problem. Really very disappointing . If you buy this book buy a magnifying glass with it. I asked for it for my birthday and regret it!
on 7 March 2013
Hardly any work that can be defined as contemporary realistic painting is to be found in this book.
Yet today, realistic portraiture, landscape and scenery paintings remain the kinds of painting that are the most appreciated and most requested by the public and by specific collectors.

"Contemporary" does indeed have a broader meaning than merely "conceptual", but one cannot tell from this book.
If you're looking for a book that has all kinds of contemporary art, including contemporary realism, this book is not for you.
on 1 January 2014
A more up to date world of contemporary painting after VITAMIN P by Barry Schwabsky. Some great things to be discovered there.
on 1 September 2015
Great book. Wish the written words were bigger, and I had taken the reviews that pointed this out more seriously.
on 4 March 2016
I absolutely love this book - so many ideas and great for inspiration
on 23 December 2014
Really good book for artists or students
on 6 September 2015
An interesting book on new artists