5.0 out of 5 stars A good reference & introduction to fashion
I bought this when I started college and it helped me a lot. I have the little paperback version which is easy to carry around in any sized bag.
This book has wonderful imagery in the form of photographs and illustrations which help to link the profiled person to their work and also it lists other relevant people to help you build up a better tree of influences...
Published on 19 May 2010 by Miss Cook. A

3.0 out of 5 stars But what is it FOR?
I had a good look at this when I bought it for the sort of lady who spends as much on a handbag as some of us do on a car; a difficult birthday to handle, as I have very restricted funds. I suspect (and hope) she'll really like it. It left me bemused but then I'm not the sort of chap its aimed at.

It is the "fashion" version of the Phaidon "The Art Book", so if...
Published on 22 Sept. 2012 by Peasant

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A good reference & introduction to fashion, 19 May 2010
Miss Cook. A (London,.England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fashion Book (Paperback)
Whether you just want to admire the beautiful images or delve more into history- this is a great introduction to the world of fashion.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 'Go-to-book' when ideas run dry and you have a whole day to create, 19 Feb. 2010
James S. Burgess "Some people put things off ... (West Country - 'Serving Life Sentence for Wasted Opportunities') - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fashion Book (Hardcover)
I first read the Hardcover version of this book in a local library, while I was waiting for appointments at a nearby barbershop.

So, now I own that same reference copy...

<hint : ebay is your best bet if you want the full size version - which you absolutely will do after you've browsed it once>

...I pull the book out when I am stumped for something fresh or exciting to draw.

The testimony to the quality of the entries' inside, lies in the fact that I have repeatedly found myself attempting to pick one single image to use as a starting point and ended up reading the text alongside the picture on 200-300 pages!

The combined fashion experience of the conrtibutors is immense and that is reflected in the way everything is treated with the same respect and detail - from ground breaking yet little-known 19th century fashionistas to the household designer names of the last thirty years, whose S/S & A/W collections are staples of the major runway shows.

I really don't recommend the miniature version though - go for the supersize hardback or rent this from the library and make sketches and notes regarding fashion figures that catch your eye.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Fashion book A-Z, 8 July 2006
J. Volbeda (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fashion Book (Paperback)
An amazing good Fashion book! A-Z of fashion icons, photographers, models, designers, etc. Everyone that is in the fashion world well known! I loved looking through the book as I didn't know every single person mentioned in it! It's a must buy if you are interested/in to fashion!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Most Ambitious Fashion Summary Ever, 25 Aug. 2004
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Fashion Book (Hardcover)
This is the Reader's Digest Condensed version of the history of fashion over the last 150 years. Unlike Reader's Digest, this book succeeds in capturing the essence in amazing kernals of elegance, curve, design, and motion. Everyone who loves fashion should have this book. There is simply no substitute for it, and you will have many hours of pleasure looking at its exciting images and reading the descriptions. The book is a great value for its price, as well, which will help make it available to more people.
The book is in an unusual format, one page each for 500 icons, models, fashion and accessory designers, make-up artists, hairdressers, retailers, illustrators, and photographers done in alphabetical order. Each page typically has one person (a few have two), with one image, and one brief textual summary of the person's work.
It is an amazing challenge to capture all of a person's work in one image, and some great successes occurred. Some of my favorites were Madonna, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Harry Winston, Naomi Campbell, Coco Chanel, Noel Coward, and Rudi Gernreich.
On the other hand, some of the old black and white images did not reproduce well. Some of the worst examples are Antoine (a hairdresser with a photograph of Josephine Baker's hair), Maria-Louise Bruyere (a designer), Christian Dior, Max Factor, Barbara Goalen (a model), Gucci, and Hermes. In many cases, these choices appear to have been influenced by the desire to have the facing pages converse with one another. So you will see echoes of design, line, and style in these ways. I appreciate that effort (which is often quite eloquent), but it should not slight the individual whose work is being portrayed. I graded the book down one star for the compromises made here not working well in too many cases.
After you have finished reading and enjoying this book many times, I suggest that you think about where else it would be helpful to have a similar work in your life. Perhaps a scrapbook containing photographs of all of your friends who have something in common would be a possibility. You could write a brief text about each. This could greatly add to your pleasure in remembering these friends, and perhaps expand their interaction when they see how you have put them together.
Keep to the essence, but be bold!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect synopsis of the fashion world..., 5 Jan. 2009
This review is from: The Fashion Book (Paperback)
This a fantastic little book to dip in and out of - it covers a huge range of fashion icons from models to designers to photographers to milliners to.. etc etc. There is one page for each fashion icon, with photos and information about their background and what they are most renowned for. It does not go into great detail, but is a great introduction to discover people, brands and facts you did not know. It's one of those books that every time I pick up I discover something new! A must for anyone interested in fashion.

4.0 out of 5 stars a compact fashion, 23 Aug. 2009
Sis Timberg - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fashion Book (Paperback)
What I like about this book, that you can really carry it with you and read it. It's not one of these fancy books that will decorate your shelf. Full of information, comprehensive historical overview, but not so up-to-date!

3.0 out of 5 stars But what is it FOR?, 22 Sept. 2012
Peasant (Deepest England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Fashion Book (Paperback)

It is the "fashion" version of the Phaidon "The Art Book", so if you have that, you know what to expect. A chubby volume on good glossy paper, with a alphabetical list of people important in the world of fashion. This includes designers, models, and photographers, obviously; but also less obvious candidates such as artists like Salvador Dali, and "icons" such as The Beatles, Johnny Rotten, Divine and Boy George. There is a page to an entry and photo and brief text for each. The compact format means neither text nor picture is as large as it ideally might be. Sometimes the choice of photo is unexpected; we do not see the hairdresser Antoine, only Josephine Baker sporting one of his styles.

The period covered is a bit flexible; there are entries from the latter part of the 19th century, but most concentrate on the last 50 years. It is a bit of a "scattergun" selection, and the limitation to a page-per-person means really significant figures such as Coco Chanel receive no more text than marginal ones that many of us have never heard of. This is both a strength and a weakness; there are plenty of places you can look up about Chanel, but having your attention drawn to figures you weren't aware of is useful, no doubt.

Who is this book for? I suspect the proper student of fashion will find it far too irritating. It's better as something to browse-through for the fashion-conscious, whether they be of an age to remember Barbara Golen, or so young they are just weaning themselves off the current manufactured girl-band.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love fashion, you'll love this !!, 5 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Fashion Book (Hardcover)
If you're as mad as i am about fashion, then you'll love this book! This book covers everything from the true British designers to world renowned Fashion Gods!! The photos are very classy, and the layout is very stylish !! In alphabetical order, the book is very easy to use. A definate must have for any Fashion Student.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought it would be..., 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Fashion Book (Paperback)
This is an A to Z guide for fashion personalities (not just fashion designers, but makeup artists, photographers, celebrities, ...). The only problem is the descriptions! They chose a photo for each personality and mainly described that photo only! I thought it'd be more like a short bio of each... Kind of disappointed! But if you just want to find out fun fashion trivia, this might be good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great format, 28 May 2014
This review is from: The Fashion Book (Paperback)
This book exists in two formats, regular and mini - I bought a mini one as it is easier to manage and I do not consider myself so much or a fashion addict that I would need very detailed pictures (if you are a lover of photography or are searching for inspiration for your designs, do invest into the regular size - it is spectacular and absolutely worth the money). I love the idea of the book and the format, the only minus being the lack of information on some entries - sometimes it seems, that although there is so much known of a specific designer/photographer/modeö, the author didn't know what to include so the entry is just pointless and gives no information.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Fashion Book
The Fashion Book by Angela Buttolph (Paperback - 20 April 2001)
Used & New from: £0.01