Format: Paperback|Change

This is a handy and instructive introduction to some of the most memorable or famous names in photography. Photography is a relatively young art form, and most of the photographs in this collection were taken in the twentieth century. The book consists of small snippets of information about five hundred photographs and the photographers who took them. Many of the photographs deal with an important event in history (like the landing on the Moon) and have become iconic in their own right. Some photographs can be disturbing, and the viewer discretion is advised.

This is a very handy and accessible way of getting to know some famous photographers and learning about the art of photography. However, a book of this scope has its share of limitations. Aside from not being able to learn more than a few sentences about each photo or photo technique, the format of the book is rather small (the book is only 5 by 6 1/2 inches) and it doesn't do the fool justice to many of the most amazing photographs that are presented herein. The font of the text is also very small, and I find myself squinting in order to be able to read it. Nonetheless, the book is a very useful resource and I would recommend it as a convenient handbook of modern artistic photography.
on 12 December 2008
This wonderful wonderful book has inspired me many times during my college years. Containing an image from almost every great photographer since the first photographs were produced, and countless contemporary artists, it is sure to offer something to warm, amuse, shock and amaze you everytime you turn the page.

I would most definately reccomend this book to any students, professionals, or those with a keen interest in the medium to buy this book, as it will serve you for many years to come!
on 3 May 2011
Great book for student and hobby photographers. The selection of images introduces the reader to a variety of work by famous and unknown photographers. Good starting point for more in-depth exploration of photographers' work.
on 1 July 2000
This book shows the best examples of the variety of ways people use their cameras. It shows that you don't need to follow in the footsteps of the masters to get great photos and the great images can be of any subject. The'documenting' photographs, such as the first landing on the moon and the murder of a judge, show a moment in time that is unique and saved on film forever. Photography is not about the great technical skills of Ansel Adams of the ways of capturing human emotion like Bill Brandt, but about capturing a persons view of the world, which all of the photographers in the book have done. Vital in anybodies book collection even if photography doesn't interest them. It's an wonderful example of how we should all stop and take time out to view the world we live in, in a different way. Especially as the mini version is avaliable.
on 20 January 2008
This book is presented beautifully with 500 pages of famous and less well known photographers who have made an impact on the art today. I think this book was made to entertain more than educate, with its lovely photographs but short descriptions.
I use The Photo Book to help me with college assignments in choosing photographers to study and styles to focus on. I think its perfect for amateurs who already have all sorts of book on technique, and shows us why photography is such a popular subject.
A great coffee table book, if nothing else.
on 15 August 2009
Wonderful directory of pictures and a pool of visual inspiration (500 images!) The book is simply set out for reference use. Each page contains an iconic, notable or innovative picture, arranged alphabetically by photographer, with a few paragraphs of discussion about the image and/or artist.
I would have liked to have more to read but have I missed the point of this book? Anyway Its still interesting non the less.
Personally I have mastered the basics of taking a photograph and now intend to embark on studies and am really interested in discovering those photographers/images that have inspired and influenced the art-science over the years. This book compliments my rapidly expanding photography literature library and its reference format will support studies.
I am quite disappointed by its physical size. Its a fairly chunky pocket sized book (6x5inches), so is somewhat smaller that I hoped - please note that the font is tiny and would be a struggle for some people. My eyes are fine but am straining to read the text.
The print quality is really good so does most of the images justice despite the small physical size of the book.
on 22 February 2000
This book includes some classic photos mixed in with the extra ordinary . The use of text is particulally strong as it helps to solve the meaning of certain photos.The book has many strong points but one bad point is that you can't fit it into your pocket to read on the way to work!
on 4 April 2010
This book was purchased to help my daughter do her A Level photography course - very helpful
on 14 December 2011
I honestly think that this book is just too small, the writing is very small and I strained to read it after a while even though I was wearing my glasses.

The images are 1st class, a great variation of topics and artists from over 100 years. The info is quite good too when you require the story of each picture.

It's quite good, but if you can find a larger version then I'd recommend you get that one.
on 7 November 2009
This book was recommended reading for a photography course I'm attending. Bought this paperback version as hardback version was out of stock when I placed my order. Very pleased. Excellent book. Good quality and interesting reading.