Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 March 2010
Lovely little book with lots of superb illustrations form many library and museum held copies of 'books of hours' from around the world. The book is split into to relevant sections with several illustrations and an explanation for each part. The origin and use of Books of hours is also explained.
This book however does not focus on the text passages and detailed structure commonly used throughout their historic use, with few examples of written text passages.
But still a fantastic little book.
on 5 February 2013
I knew that the book was not going to be big and it is supposed to mimic the actual size of your average book of hours, but this Phaidon book is far too small, thin and light, and the illustrations are of poor quality. The end result is that you really cannot immerse yourself in the experience at all. In my view it is not worth it.
on 29 January 2010
This is a delightful little book. The colours of the illustrations are clear and the detail is fanastic. You do need a magnifying glass to see all the intricate detail but it is well worth it. It gives a month by month account in pictures of the seasons and all that needs to be done for that month - not so very different from our day and age. Some of the detail causes one to laugh out loud. Well worth having.
on 28 May 2014
I read the many reviews of this book before buying, and I'm glad I ignored the bad ones. The reproductions are at or near the original size, and are absolutely beautiful (and I'm a professional print buyer, having worked in the world of fine art). They are not (at least in my copy) "fuzzy" at all. I should point out that they are not meant to be viewed through a magnifying glass, as the printing screen pattern (the coloured dots) is necessarily relatively large compared to the overall size of the images.
As a small selection of some of the most beautiful manuscripts from the middle ages, or as a devotional object, I cannot recommend this tiny book too highly.
on 24 August 2014
I lost my copy of LEs Tres Riches Heures du Duc Du Berry and this Book of Hours did not quite measure up to that. However, it is a pleasure to own, and I like the layout. I should have preferred a slightly glossier paper.
It would be a good introduction to this subject but I shall continue to look for an affordable copy of Les Tres Riches Heures, whilst still enjoying coming across this pocket sized book in my bag.
on 23 February 2013
It is a lovely little book, a delight to read, opening a window to the Middle Ages, with so much detail on each page,which has to be looked at carefully to see all the detail. Excellent and highly recommended
on 16 February 2014
the book is small, i can deal with that, but the already small reproductions are FUZZY. can't deal with that.
on 7 February 2014
This book is a small treasure. Beautifully illustrated and yes the pictures are small and yes you do need a magnifying glass but I think that adds to the beauty of it. These books in their original form were very small. It is well produced and the illustrations are indexed at the back. It would be nice if the publishers had produced a hard back version as it would make a lovely gift.
on 19 November 2013
It's obviously very small, but at such a low price it's the bargain of the century. The detail revealed in each of the pages is breath taking and beautiful, even without using a magnifier, which is of benefit. There are things in it which lift the heart.
on 14 February 2016
What a truly wonderful little book. I simply love it. Writing could be a little larger where there's room but that's only because of my eyes nowadays...... Arrived within a day, and pleases me every time I pick it up.