Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 September 2008
Don't be put off by the small size - this is a wonderful book and for a low price gives you an absorbing introduction to this exceptional artist.

You are taken through the paintings by being shown, for many of them, a close up of part of a painting, then another part, then a reproduction of the whole painting, and then another detail often accompanied by a poem that gives the background to the scene. It is happily like walking through a gallery looking up close, then standing back, then reading the note next to the painting. The whole journey is wonderfully well done for 160 pages. At the back the book describes the stories from myth and literature that Waterhouse took as his subjects for the paintings. And there is a list of the paintings with details of their locations in the real world.

The quality of the reproductions, the colour, the sharpness, is exceptionally good.

Above all the pictures are beautiful, breathtaking, and moving. These paintings often touch a deep chord in the viewer about what it is to be human, and the moments of sadness, wonder, joy, grief, and longing that we all have. Waterhouse's had an extraordinarily accomplished technique and used it wonderfully.

To have these paintings in such a portably sized book is great. Well done and many thanks to Phaidon publishers and the unnamed person(s)that put this book together!

(And if you are wondering the cover painting is, it is Hylas and the Nymphs which is at Manchester City Art Gallery.)
on 8 February 2001
This little book shows Waterhouse's paintings with the poetry and passages that they are based on. It is an excellent start to finding out more about this superb artist.
on 21 January 2010
A gorgeous little book with some of waterhouse's enthralling paintings interspersed with passages from poems or literature that inspired the pictures. I found the 'classical and literary sources' section interesting and enlightening as it explains who the characters are . I am fascinated by the models and like to look for the same model in the different pictures, so having them all in one little book is ideal.

Highly recommended .
on 13 February 2013
Another book on my favourite artists . This is a compact little book and I take them on my walks so if I sit down I can enjoy them.
on 15 September 2015
Stunning little pocket guide, not a bio of the artist, just the verses and poems that inspired some of his work. I didn't realise that alot of the paintings that I liked were by the same artist, upon learning this I wanted a book or something that brought it together and sometimes with art I don't want things to be too wordy, I just want the art. This is exactly that.
on 6 May 2016
I love the art of most of the pre-Raphael brotherhood. This little booklet would be invaluable as a taster to the haunting art of JW Waterhouse. He is my favourite 'Brother' and I have two full-sized prints of his depiction of Ophelia on my bedroom wall. I'd get a few more if I had the space!
on 17 September 2009
I purchased this little book a while ago and it is lovely book to have with alot of Waterhouses finest paintings with some rather good associated prose as well, also it would a perfect gift to give someone as a thankyou present.

I did visit the J W Waterhouse exhibition at the royal academy recently and was disappointed to see that this little book was not available in their gift shop, they only had another book from Phaidon miniature editions called the pre raphaelite vision instead The Pre-Raphaelite Vision (Phaidon Miniature Editions)which doesn`t really contain any of Waterhouses pictures which was rather odd seeing that the gift shop was all geared up to gifts relating to the current Waterhouse exhibition.
on 14 March 2014
I found this little book helpful and informative, as it not only shows details of some of Waterhouse's paintings, but also gives brief summaries of the stories behind the characters in those paintings. Handy to carry round!
on 25 September 2014
Lovely postcards although disappointedly minature!
on 13 October 2014
Of all the pre-raphaelites he's was the best.