Format: PaperbackChange

on 11 January 2002
This book has for years been the only book. It has an acurate biography of LS Lowry and a good selection of colour plates and B/W pictures of state owned Lowry's works. It is an essential resource for any one wanting to research Lowry
However.. there are recent books that let you deeper into his personality and others that have better pictures.
For kids get Lowry lexcorn or LS Lowry by David Maclean
If you want a good biography get Shelley Rhodes.It is a better read.
I have all the books but this is my reference book
I would not be without it.
0Comment50 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2012
As a long time admirer of L S Lowry I found this work extremely interesting the reproduction of his work is excellent and almost as good as a trip round the Lowry gallery I am still in the process of reading the text, good things need to be savoured .He was such a good recorder of Social history not sentimental and lots of humour in there.Anyone who has not yet visited the Salford Gallery has missed a treat.A book I will open many many tims.Liz.
on 15 March 2001
This is one of the better books available with the right mix of pictures and text quite up to date too. This is a good book for research compiling a lot of data in one book
0Comment18 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 July 2015
Interesting and informative with a good number of photographs of Lowry's work - the main reason for my buying the book. It also catalogues all Lowry's work on public display (not privately owned) with some information on when and where painted, and about the subject, The book starts with a potted history of Lowry himself, giving a good insight into his life and times. An excellent "starter" for would-be Lowry enthusiasts..On the down side, some of the colour paintings are depicted in black and white (apart from the pencil drawings/sketches) which is a bit of a disappointment.
on 1 March 2013
Good introduction to the life & work of LS Lowry. 4 essays by different authors on different aspects.
Good plates and catalogue of Public Collections
on 17 July 2015
Book same as my local library and in ok condition for secondhand copy. Cover is starting to come away a bit so hope doesn't fall apart. Range of plates of lowry's work seems to cover a reasonable range. Using for Art classes to try to copy his paintings to learn about his style.
on 13 September 2015
This is a fabulous book! All the right information and a magical spread of Lowry's work. I am so glad I chose this one aside from the others. It sits at the side of my bed so I can have a look before I go to sleep and dream of owning a real Lowry !
on 23 April 2014
As a fan of Lowry I found this book a mine of information and consult it before going to wherever we have book visits to see if I can see another masterpiece at the same time.
on 31 August 2013
useful and well written comments on the painter and his life.
I bought it because I was taking part in a course on Lowry's
life and works and it was very helpful.
on 19 December 2013
A lovely book on the artist work. Packed with illustrations and information on Britain's most successful artist . Very quick delivery. I would recommend this seller..