5.0 out of 5 stars A definitive aid for the art history student.
Published on 27 April 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Awkwardly insighful
Published on 4 Sep 2003 by Mr. D. N. Reece

3.0 out of 5 stars Awkwardly insighful, 4 Sep 2003
Mr. D. N. Reece (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Art History and Its Methods: A Critical Anthology (Paperback)
Art history and its methods is a difficult book to read, especially for someone who has little grasp of the technical terms. I read the book, hoping it would give further my knowledge of art history, as I am applying to study that subject next year. Eric Fernie's comments were helpful, as the extracts from art critics, like Vasari and Wolfflin, were sometimes challenging to read. However the later critics become increasingly painless when reading their extracts, such as Hans Belting and Griselda Pollock, though the texts still provoke creative thinking.
The book also has an extremely useful glossary of terms, in relatively straightfoward easy to understand definitions. This is a hard book to read all the way through, but I would recommend it to readers who have prior knowledge to the world of art history as it can be a useful reference book. For readers, who are new to the subject, like myself, I think starting with a less problematic book in terms of technical terms would be a better choice, such as the Story of Art, by E.H Gombrich, which I read shortly after finishing this book and was pleasantly surprised at how well he constructed his points without becoming stuck in technical detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definitive aid for the art history student., 27 April 2003
By A Customer
If you are serious about the study of art history, this book can provide you with a very good understanding of research methodologies. I have taken a postgraduate course in research methodologies of history of art however nothing make me understand the broad picture better than this book, I think I have learned more from this £11 book than what I learned from my first term of study.

3.0 out of 5 stars A must have if you are attempting an Art History course, 9 Mar 2006
Sharon Rowe (Norwich, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
...but be warned, although the content of this book is excellent, the typeface (absolutely tiny) and the type colour (grey) makes reading it for more than 15 minutes at a time impossible!

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful anthology with excellent introductory comments, 28 Feb 2000
By A Customer
I use this book as a textbook for a course on the History of Art History. Overall, this is a very useful anthology. I find Fernie's introductory comments to the readings and the full Glossary of Concepts to be concise, clear, and informative, the best such remarks I have found (and I have been examining numerous books on this subject over the past several years). My only complaint concerns the print: too small for my 50-year-old eyes. When Phaidon improves this, I shall upgrade my rating to 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars small print paper back, 9 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This book is informative, concise and useful, if a little heavy going in places.
As previously mentioned by other reviewers the print is not just too small it is a very light and thin font. I have corrected vision with contact lenses and have never had a problem reading before - this book will be impossible for anyone with less than perfect sight to access. A new edition with plain font would be appreciated, especially as this is a study book for the O.U. with many mature students.

4.0 out of 5 stars solid art history text, 24 Oct 2007
A. Beeton "adamblue" (UK) - See all my reviews
A good text book, especially for students (like myself) who come from a a non-history background to study art history. Useful in preparing avenues for research topics or for constructing essays. I wish I had used this book more when I was studying for my MA!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book Ridiculous Font Size, 26 Nov 2013
this must be for fairies and other small woodland creatures cos it sure ain't for human eyesight. Pity the eyestrain wouldnt let me finish it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for essay writing, 21 Nov 2012
This book is very similar to Preziosi's the 'Art of Art History', but it is useful none the less. Fernie writes clear introductions to the texts. An e-book format would be useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Book for Art history students!, 2 Jun 2012
I study with The Open University and this was a set book for one of their modules. Like everyone else has said, this book can get pretty hard to read, what with the ridiculously small font and spacing but honestly once you start reading you stop noticing it. The layout is good and the chroniclogical order makes it easy to navigate as well. All in all a helpful wee book!

2.0 out of 5 stars printing to small!!!!!!!!, 6 Nov 2011
S. Ainsworth (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I'm sure the content is fascinating but it is like reading in a whisper!!! very very frustrating, have had to get a magnifying sheet to help me read it!!!! more exclaimation marks!

Art History and Its Methods: A Critical Anthology
Art History and Its Methods: A Critical Anthology by Eric Fernie (Paperback - 7 Sep 1995)