5.0 out of 5 stars Georgeous!, 15 July 2007
Astrid Rauscher "caillean" (Vienna) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chocolate & Zucchini (Paperback)
A collection of 80 recipes awaits the reader.
Each one with a story and most of them with some wine recommendation - and of course - with mouth-watering and yummy pictures which make you "Aaaah" and "Ooooh" troughout the whole book while reading.

I especially loved the part about Clothilde herself where she tells us about her creativity and curiosity, some shopping tips for Parisians and -of course- her cooking philosophy.

The book now - after reading it a second time - is scattered with little yellow bookmarklets for all those recipes I marked for "want to give it a try".

Such as "Lemon Butter Cookies", "Chocolate Caramel Tarte", "Nectarine, Peach and Ginger Tarte", "Chocolate Raspberry Cake", "Chocolate & Zucchini Cake" (of course), "Chicken Cashew Quiche", "Bulgur-stuffed round Zucchini", "Mustard Chicken Stew", "Cumin Cheese Puffs", "Tuna and Green Apple Mousse", "Chestnut and Mushroom Soup", "Onion and Cumin Quiche", "Mushroom and Chantal Cheese Tartine"... to name a few...

I am looking forward to give the one or the other a try!
If you like Clothilde's blog you'll certainly likeher book!

5.0 out of 5 stars simply stunning!, 7 Jun 2007
Jini (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chocolate & Zucchini (Paperback)
Just as chocolateandzucchini.com is the ultimate blog for food-lovers, Chocolate and Zucchini the book is the ultimate book for food-lovers! I was delighted by every page and every recipe, even the most complex, is very well laid out and explained. The pictures are gorgeous and the way Clotilde Dusoulier discusses food and her journey with it is so beautifully descriptive. I can't wait to start cooking! I actually intend to buy another copy of this book- so i can have one in the kitchen that will get flour and oil and chocolate smears all over it, and one pristine one just to read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a joyous and delightful book, 17 July 2007
Joan (New South Wales, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chocolate & Zucchini (Paperback)
This is not only a cook book! I'm finding I'm dipping in to it at all times of the day ~ to grab a bite of language as it were. Clotilde writes with such charm and obvious love for food and wine. That we now have her prose and photos in a book is a true joy.

OH! the chocolate raspberry cake! I made it for my father's 92nd birthday..not a crumb was left.

This is highly recommended...I imagine word will spread and this delightful book will become a resident of many a kitchen around the world...it would make a gorgeous gift for any foodie friend :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Clotilde's Masterpiece., 2 July 2007
This review is from: Chocolate & Zucchini (Paperback)
My sister told me about the chocolate and zucchini blog about six months ago and I have been converted to a real fan. I was so excited to find out that my sister had posted me "Chocolate and Zucchini", Clotilde Dusoulier's delightful cookbook. When the package arrived, I was slightly disappointed by the book's small stature (its only about a hand-span tall) but when I curled up on my brown leather armchair with a cup of tea and my new gift, I realised I was in love. The size is quite important - it allows "Chocolate and Zucchini" to be so much more than a cookbook. Clotilde's recipes are honest, her photography enticing, but it is her writing that is outstanding. The descriptions that precede each recipe make me feel like I am reading a book a close friend has written. The personal aspects mean that while reading, I find myself turning to the back cover to view the author's photograph. What an amazing, talented person. Congratulations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Do yourself a favor and buy this book, 18 Aug 2007
This review is from: Chocolate & Zucchini (Paperback)
I'm a fan of the C&Z blog, but the cookbook exceeded all my expectations. Great narrative about each recipe, beautiful photos, wine suggestions to drink with what you've just made, and very thorough explanations though the recipes are not overly complicated. If you are at all a fan of French food, this is the cookbook...I'll be using this cookbook for years to come. Great job Clotilde, you rule.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cookery with charm and flair, 28 April 2011
This review is from: Chocolate & Zucchini (Paperback)
Like most other reviewers; I came across Chocolate & Zucchini, Clotilde Dusoulier's cooking and food website first. I was intrigued by the recipes but didn't find myself trying many of them as my preference is for a well-laid out book rather than printed out sheets. It wasn't too long before I bought this book to try cooking from and I have loved everything I have tried so far! There is something here for nearly every occasion. From the simplest of supper dishes (such as piperade or mushroom and Cantal cheese tartine) to buffet and dinner party menus. If you enjoy French food, whether modern or traditional, there will be a recipe for you to delight in and salivate over.

The friendly and decidedly easy-going tone of the writing is heartening. There are anecdotes, experiences and reminiscences that flow beautifully alongside recipes. It is though you have a welcome friend chatting as you leisurely decide whether you will be having the chilled soup or Comté cheese soufflés. This also gives a great charm to the book's style which is unhurried and full of the pleasures of life. It makes the recipes easily understood and, I think, would definitely give confidence to a novice cook to experiment and learn new things. I particularly have to praise the recipe section on savoury tarts. Not only did this bring me to thoroughly enjoy home-made quiche (something I thought was impossible) but is based on what is the best savoury short pastry recipe I've ever come across for home cooking. It bakes like a dream and the days of soggy, unappetising, pastry seem to be banished. Thank you, Mme Dusoulier!

At times American English versions of some words do crop up in recipes. It really is a very minor point but if you're not used to seeing bell peppers (instead of sweet peppers) or the slight difference in the spelling of 'chile' then it can cause a momentary double take. It doesn't effect the the clarity of the recipes though if you're not acquainted with U.S English.

I hope that Clotilde Dusoulier will be able to publish a follow-up book at some point. With all the lovely recipes that she has come up with and shared it would be a shame not to have another, equally useful and attractive, bound edition to read and to cook from.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely gift, 27 May 2010
Marina Teoh "DivingDiva" (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chocolate & Zucchini (Paperback)
Meeting Clotilde Dusoulier in person was the icing on this lovely book! As easy to use as she was sweet, her collection of recipes are easy to do even if you don't live in France to source all the ingredients. Reccomended gift for friends who like to bake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate and Zucchini Review, 21 Mar 2010
This review is from: Chocolate & Zucchini (Paperback)
One of the best of the rash of recent cookbooks. Modern French cooking, conscious of health concerns, but not faddish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet As Can Be, 1 Mar 2008
K. Johnston (Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chocolate & Zucchini (Paperback)
I have sadly just come to the end of reading Clothilde's first book, and if it wasn't for the fact that I have Bill Buford's Heat lined up at my bedside, I would be feeling quite bereft. I have been completely entranced by the quality of charming Clothilde's writing. I don't know if this is her own English or translation, but she writes beautifully and sweetly. I was not familiar with her blog, though I am now, but a friend recommended the book to me. I am so glad. Despite not knowing Clothilde personally, I am enchanted, and look forward to her next book (if anyone can offer detail on when the UK version of her new title is out I'd be grateful) and, indeed, to my next trip to Paris, to reacquaint myself with the bakeries, patisseries and markets.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'ce soir j'attend madeleine', 26 Oct 2008
Colin J. Herd "colin j herd" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chocolate & Zucchini (Paperback)
'we're going to go to the cinema'. That's a Jacques Brel song.

one of my other favourite songs is the one by 'the smiths' that goes 'take me out tonight, oooh anywhere, i don't care, i don't care, i don't caaa-aare'... but after buying this cookbook i don't agree with the sentiment at ALL! (well only sometimes.)Most often i think 'let me stay in tonight, i'll cook anything, anything, anything from this booo-ooook'.

My favourite recipe is the one for madeleines au Roquefort, Poire et Noix. I give the recipe title in French because it is like that in the book, which is quite nice i guess. i'd much rather make these than pear blue cheese and nut, wouldn't you? I'm being facetious but, it's part of the book's charm because, as every good cookbook should, this sells and promotes a charming, healthy, sophisicated, witty, stylishly simple way of life that i don't just want to buy into... i want to bite into it too!!!

Buy this for someone and make their jour.

Chocolate & Zucchini
Chocolate & Zucchini by Clotilde Dusoulier (Paperback - 18 May 2007)