TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 October 2013
Edward III, hero of Crécy, and one of England's most renowned Kings is the focus for this comprehensive and well written historical tome. From the beginning, the book is layered with chivalric honour and tales of military tactics which helped to catapult this small and rather insignificant country towards martial victory on a grand scale.

To be honest I found the book rather heavy going in places, and whilst I cannot deny that the book is packed full of historical content, the prospect of reading the book in linear fashion was a little daunting. I think that this book is something to be dipped into and out of when the mood takes you, and best read in small manageable portions which are then going to be easier to digest and absorb.

I am a huge advocate for the use of e-books but on this occasion I feel that have I missed something by reading it electronically. My opinion is that this book is probably more enjoyable in paper form, not only will it look impressive on a book shelf, but also flipping backwards and forwards is still easier on paper, and this book is definitely one of those books that you need to be able to back track easily.
on 11 May 2014
Like other reviewers I found this book full of interesting insights but quite hard going and a little disjointed in its coverage of Edward the thirds campaigns in France. The book focuses a lot on the Order of the Garter in the context of that campaign but possibly in too much detail in some places. This is not I feel a book for the casual reader.
on 21 April 2015
Superb hard-backed book charting the epic reign of king Edward III (1327-77) and in particular his establishment of the order of the garter and the flowering of chivalry in his long and eventful reign. The book is comprehensive and Barber provides detailed analysis of the key personalities that shaped Edward's long reign. Incisive and informative an essential read for those either interested in Edward III or the various military campaigns and wars that were a feature of this monarch's long and enduring rule. I found the book fascinating and informative with a certain wit unusual in history books of this weight from Mr. Barber! In conclusion I found the book highly entertaining and kept turning the pages in quick progression.
on 4 March 2015
Having struggled through the introduction which went on about "the voices" used as sources, I thought I was going to be in for a real treat, with extracts from original contemporaneous texts. These barely feature and my disappointment was completed when the lifting of the seige of Lochindorb was described and then left hanging when the author stated "Edward sent a letter back to Phillipa at the end of the campaign. It described his heroic exploits...."
Great, so we could have been treated to Edwards first hand account of his exploits as revealed in a letter to his wife, but no, all we get is a note that the letter was written. How disapointing.
on 19 September 2014
Quite well researched and readable.
on 18 February 2016
Excellent.
on 27 September 2013
not quite what I expected. There is less on Edward and his triumphs, more on a miscellany of courtiers etc