5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!
This book is mind blowing. Written on a level that makes it accessible to pretty much everybody it covers all aspects of cosmology and their implications regarding time travel, parallel worlds, string theory and black holes. It even covers some of the history behind the major scientists involved (Einstein, Gamow, Schrodinger, Hoyle etc) and includes anecdotes telling of...
Published on 19 April 2007 by Matthew H

3.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating but heavy going
The topics covered are profound, mind bending and require a fundamental shift in thinking from what we are accustomed to regard as normal. Kaku has set himself a difficult task in attempting to explain them to a general readership. Some of his explanations are good, but I found parts of book heavy going, especially string theory which is his specialism.

The...
Published on 5 Nov 2008 by PC

5.0 out of 5 stars Parallel Worlds, 24 Aug 2013
Great book, a lot to take in ,and will read it again.Having seen Michio Kaku on TV numerous times his writing on a complex subject

is accessible. to the layman

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable company can be trusted, 23 Aug 2013
Wow what a book... Michio Kaku is one intelligent dude... But he explains everything so simple that even a muppet like me can understand... It really gets you thinking... If you're into this sort of thing then it's a must read....

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 18 Aug 2013
Colin J. H. Lord (Shepton Beauchamp) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parallel Worlds: The Science of Alternative Universes and Our Future in the Cosmos (Allen Lane Science) (Hardcover)
It is some time since I read this, to me, superb book, which is one of the kind that one lends or gives to people because one feels sure that everyone's life would be improved by reading it.

That means that I have been without a copy of my own for some time and felt that a re read was in order, so I ordered a hardback copy which I will be less likely to give away or lend (and not get back, as is so often the case with paper backs ?).

So it is quite a while since I read this brilliantly comprehensive overall picture setting work about of the leading edge of Blue Sky Science.

I have seen some nit picking pedants criticise the odd error in some of the finer details which I feel, given the range and scale of the subjects and recent history covered speaks more about the inadequacies of the critics rather than those of the author.

However, speaking of professional critics I couldn't do better than refer anyone interested to the critics comments on the cover of the book which if I remember correctly are given in the info on the book shown in Amazon.

For me the book is more like reading a "can't put it down' novel that one rather wishes would never have an ending.

Of course with a book covering so many fascinating areas of science the overall story so brilliantly put in a meaningful overall context by Professor KaKu is a never ending one and a pretty comprehensive list of recommended reading is provided.

However, the beauty of the book is that I feel that anyone would enjoy this book, even if they knew nothing about Science which is one of it's virtues (apart from the cost of giving copies to everyone - the only negative for me and hence the hardback which I do not intend to give away or lend).

The history and anecdotes about some of the leading lights in the 20th Century I found particularly beneficial and of great interest to those knowing little or nothing about Science.

There is, to me, a disarmingly likeable overall attitude to Michio Kaku which leaves his style as pleasingly ego free which so suits the role he plays in this book as enthusiastic commentator rather than single track expert with an axe to grind presented by a glory seeker wanting to 'make his name' which I find spoils so many books written by childishly egotistical males.

The bubbly enthusiasm and delight in the overall picture I found to provide a lift that was like playing in tops of the waves with more than enough depth to get one's feet wet but never any risk of becoming saturated let alone drowned in detail.

For me it was a perfectly balanced presentation that managed to present an astonishing breadth of stimulatingly relevant subjects in a satisfyingly educational overall context that left one feeling one's life had been changed for the better by the book that for me put the book in a place of it's own.

It seems a bit to trite to sum it up as 'entertainingly educational' as it was rather more than that, which brings me back to suggesting reading the opinions of the professional readers.

I would recommend this book to anyone without hesitation. The fact that it presents the history along with the cutting edge means that it will never be out of date in any overall sense I feel, particularly for the non technical or those without any particular interest in science very few of whom I feel will be left in that position having read the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A feast for imagination, 12 July 2013
I have just finished the best pop-science book I have ever read (including Balcombe's "Pleasurable Kingdom" which I found very well-written, perfectly constructed and also deeply touching; a No. 1 until now).

The subject of the book is mind-blowing and it is extremely difficult to stay focused on the reading for a length of time, because it inspires and stretches imagination to the limits. I just couldn't stop picturing things in my head! Certainly, this effect is brought mainly by the information which one could derive from any other book on the subject of the string theory, but Kaku has a great gift of clear, understandable and entertaining writing.

And he simply seems to be a great guy, a person delighted in the mysterious beauty of the world(s) who puts a genuine effort in facilitating the knowledge of it to as wide an audience as possible. I did have to consult wikipedia occasionally, but generally the book is very self-contained: the writing is easy on the reader, and the apparatus helps in managing information.

The book has one disadvantage: it is full of spoilers! Kaku refers to many sci-fi novels that seem like a lot of fun, so if you don't know them, you might risk a spoilt pleasure.

I have the deepest respect for the Author for the last pages of the book, which send an optimistic message: we are here to learn, discover and make changes for the better. We are, right here and now, in that crucial civilisation stage which requires us to be careful and wise so we can perceive and participate in the universe with more awareness and impact than ever before. If we take the right social and moral standing today, we might be able to understand and enter the worlds previously unseen, become the observers who can truly understand and manage life, matter and intelligence. Is it overly optimistic? Perhaps, but it gives us a great purpose to follow, and it's nicer to keep going with such in mind instead of living with the vision of desolation and doom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday Present, 31 May 2013
Have not given this yet as it is a birthday present, but delivery was prompt and I love listening to Michio on TV and I know my friend will enjoy the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars mind-blowing!, 28 May 2013
this is a very good book. not a new book now but very good for anytime for some reading. It has many interesting facts and this book is very easy to read and understand! This guy is smart! Thank Kaku! I will continue reading books by this author! one great physicists of our time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 31 Mar 2013
Really good read if you're into this kind of book. I've read others but this makes pretty easy reading. Recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Into infinity and beyond..., 9 Mar 2013
Thought I would read a book on Physics for a change and this one was hard to put down. Some very big thinking on many topics in Physics which I have to say I do not really understand. This did not stop me from enjoying the book and I recommend it to anyone with an interest in the Cosmos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece from Kaku, 15 Feb 2013
Gökhan (Munich, Germany) - See all my reviews
I love Michio Kaku because the way he explains things are so interesting that even the people who are not into his subject would listen to/read him until the end. This book is definitely interesting and very well written...

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly readable and entertaining, 9 Feb 2013
A highly and easiliy readable book. Having now read 2 or 3 books from Michio Kaku, I must say I am becoming a fan.

Also having read quite a lot of popular science books, I must say that Michio Kaku is probably one of the best popularizer at the moment. His light style helps you to grasp complex theories and subjects. He lavishly uses metaphors to make the reader feeling more comfortable.

One thing I particularly liked is his talent for summarising clearly and simply most of the historical and current theories. I found even M-theory and string theory relatively well explained.

Again, I am fan of the author, but I found this book was lacking a couple more graphs and diagrams. I think his other works like Phyisics of the impossible or Hyperspace had a bit more "graphics".
Also, unfortunately, his works repeats itself a bit. The first third of his books are usually a summary of the main concepts in physics and its history. The same people tend to come back as well as the same particular anecdots.

Another negative point would be that Kaku's enthusiasm is so great that sometimes I feel he wants to put too much in his book. This sometimes result in a very dense loaded with details, theories and facts that can be hard to digest. In other words, the tempo of the book is perhaps slightly too fast.

Nevertheless, Kaku's books are always mind-blowing. Rarely I felt so exited about reading a book or looking toward reading the next batch of chapters. The covers says it all, "impossible to put down" and its quite true.

As always with these books, the speculation part (generally the last few chapters) is pure eye openning joy to read. The idea of creating a bubble universe from a table top machine or the injection of all humanity's knowledge and entity into a baby universe to save ourselves is deeply comforting but also frightening.

I also recommends "Hyperspace" which also blew my mind.

To conclude, probably one of the best pop science book on physics I have ever read.

9/10