5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet little book
Bought this today, but finished it quickly, as it's quite tiny. However, I thought it was lovely - some bits were funny or quaint, but to disagree with the other reviewer, I thought a lot of the advise was actually still very good and worth thinking about.

Published on 23 May 2008 by S. L. Bain

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny little book
I bought this book as a joke for our son and daughter-in-law on their wedding day. It is a very small book but quite amusing with its out-of-date comments.
Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet little book, 23 May 2008
S. L. Bain (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don'ts for Husbands (Hardcover)

Maybe not one for the feminists, but not as old-fashioned as you might think either; much of the advise is basically about treating your wife with respect and thoughtfulness (which I must say, I'd prefer to being treated as another man any day!). I can't wait to get started on the one for wives now :)

4.0 out of 5 stars "Don't forget to be master in your own house, but see that your wife is mistress.", 1 Nov 2011
Nicola Hardy (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Don'ts for Husbands (Hardcover)
This charming miniature book gives an insight into 'the rules' of marriage just after the turn of the twentieth century. In spite of warning readers against being "too didactic in the home", feisty author Blanche Ebbutt wastes no time in telling men what their role and duties in the home are.

The book is divided into eleven chapters: General Habits, Personal Relations, Jealousy, Hints on Finance, Household Matters, Recreation and Holidays, Health, Dress, Hobbies, Food and Children. Whilst some of the offerings included are well past their sell-by-date:

- "Don't spend night after night at your club, leaving your wife alone to count the hours until your return."

the vast majority of the advice given in the book is as fresh as the day it was written, even if the language of the book makes it seem otherwise:

- "Don't think that because you and your wife married for love there will never be a cloud in your sky."
- "Don't forget to be your wife's best friend as well as her husband."
- "Don't be unsympathetic if your wife's worries seem to you to be trivial."

Some of the financial advice seems especially apt following the credit crunch:

- "Don't try to live on too big a scale ..."
- "Don't take a bigger house than you need just for show."
- "Don't live on the edge of your income while leading your wife to suppose that you have plenty of money."

although other pearls of wisdom do leave you wondering just what married life was like in 1913:

- "Don't sharpen pencils all over the house as you walk about ..."

Whilst I wouldn't recommend this book as a remedy for a marital problems in the twenty-first century, it will give many husbands something to think (and smile) about. It works well as a stocking filler, or as a wedding or anniversary gift for friends, relatives, or even your spouse (if they have a really good sense of humour). Oh, and *don't* forget to check out the companion volume, 'Don'ts for Wives', too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 17 April 2011
This review is from: Don'ts for Husbands (Hardcover)
I spent some time looking for a first wedding anniversary present for my daughter and her husband. Because I new the first anniversary signifies paper I thought a book on marriage would be good. Then I saw these really sweet his and hers books on tips from 1913. My daughter and her husband were going on a late honeynoon safari so I was able to slip them into there luggage ( did you pack this bag yourself madam ) as the anniversay was while they were away. These books were just what I was looking for and my daughter loved them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable social history, 13 Aug 2010
B. C. Neale (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don'ts for Husbands (Hardcover)
From a gone by era where manners and politness were everything.
Seems amusing now but was written in all seriousness at the time.
A book to enjoy with 21st Century tongue in cheek.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of fun..., 30 Dec 2009
This review is from: Don'ts for Husbands (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my husband for xmas as a stocking filler. Its easy to read and some of the suggestions are so dated but very funny, it said to not drop pencil shavings on the carpet! We have had a laugh whilst reading through this little book, some of the suggestions are still true to life now and are things you can think about with your own marriage!
If you are looking for a small gift that is meant for a bit of fun this is the book for you!

Don'ts for Wives

I also bought the matching book for myself which is equally as fun and charming! I recommend them as a pair. Don'ts for Wives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some fun but some refreshingly useful advice, too, 15 Mar 2010
AK (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Don'ts for Husbands (Hardcover)
This book was written in 1913 and I at first expected it to be of the same kind as Sex Tips for Husbands and Wives from 1894 - a hillarious reminder of how different things used to be and how horrible in many ways. It turns out that either the author was much more enlightened here, or that the 20 years from 1894 to 1913 really brought about a dramatic shift in attitudes.

The basic premise of the man as sole breadwinner and the wife as a stay at home mother is definitely still there and while most will find the advice on the use of servants a bit quaint and anachronistic, there is plenty of sound advice in this - something I wish more people would read seriously, rather than just for fun.

The advice in here revolves around creating a more caring and comfortable relationship, based on mutual respect and trust. Some bits will still be funny (to refrain from dropping cigar ashes on carpets to improve the colouring being one such case) but overall the message is take care of your wife but do not, under any circumstances treat her as an immature dependent or maid. Luckily, the same message comes across in the companion book Don'ts for Wives, which really should be read by both parties as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but funny, 8 Feb 2012
This review is from: Don'ts for Husbands (Hardcover)
I bought this for my husband for Christmas, it's very funny reading the 'rules' and relating them to the modern day. It's a wonderful little read, charmingly written - a lovely gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and funny!, 4 Aug 2011
This review is from: Don'ts for Husbands (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my husband (and the Don'ts for Wives for myself..only fair) and we had a great time reading each other little 'don'ts' from it. It was much smaller than I had realized but would make a great little gift for any husband or bride to be!

4.0 out of 5 stars cheap wedding gift addition, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Don'ts for Husbands (Hardcover)
Bought as a cheap wedding gift addition - gave couple cash for a honeymoon but it was nice to have something to wrap up to give them. Also bought the "don'ts for wives"

It's a pretty small book, really only suitable as an addition or a little something as a bit of fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems fair to me..., 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Don'ts for Husbands (Hardcover)
Bought this along with Don't for Wives a few days after I got married and my wife and I lay in bed reading them together. Although they are pretty funny due to the views at the time a lot of what they say is still the foundations of a good relationship. They are pretty well made little books and I'd think would make a good gift for anyone getting married.

Don'ts for Husbands
Don'ts for Husbands by Blanche Ebbutt (Hardcover - 25 Jun 2007)
3.15