Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 November 2008
I love this book! I vaguely remember knitting when I was small but like many had forgotten how. The pictures are all really clear and the accompanying text is plainly written, making it all nice and easy to follow. Its also written for an English audience, so no need to translate needle sizes or yarn type from US.

I love the projects in this book, they all look fun to make, the patterns themselves are explained really well (especially all of the abbreviations) and most importantly it all looks really achievable. I hate looking through a so called 'beginners' book and feeling like I would be out of my depth knitting half of what is in it.

The author also encourages creativity which is great, I feel like I've made something I really like rather than just following a very specific pattern which can only be knitted with 'X' yarn.
66 comments|182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2009
I was given a "Learn to Knit" book for Christmas and it's rubbish. I just ended up feeling frustrated.... so I searched Amazon for something decent and read the positive reviews of this book. I'm so pleased I bought it. Projects start simple and build up to more complex work. Good "trouble-shooting" section. Brilliant explanations of how patterns are written (which, as a complete novice, seemed like a foreign language to me!). Yes, there are lots of projects that involve children's clothes but, for me, that's not a criticism - personally I need small projects to get me started and keep up my momentum!! I have a concern though - this book has made knitting seem so fun and easy I'm going to spend a fortune on wool!!!!

If you're a complete beginner and need a book to get you started (and keep your interest in the beauty and fun of knitting) then this is definately the book for you!!!!
0Comment|156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2011
as a 67 year old male , Iv'e decided to take up knitting to help pass the time.
this book is great .. after a quick skim through and a trip to the local wool
shop , Iv'e started to knit my wife a scarf . It may not be the worlds best scarf .
but I'm knitting already
on 27 November 2012
I have wanted to knit for years as my nan was amazing at it and made most of my cardigans/jumpers when I was a child. Sadly she passed away before I was old enough to start learning, so I recently began looking at knitting books to attempt to teach myself.
I must admit I was very skeptical about trying to learn from a book.
How wrong I was, I ordered Knitty Gritty based on the positive reviews I found on Amazon. This book is amazing the photos are clear and decriptions are very detailed. After only owning the book for a week or 2 I had already made a scarf and baby booties. A lot of the reviews here mention the patterns are mainly childrens items but I find for a complete beginner like me, practising on small items is a great way to learn the different techniques. I would highly reccommend this book for complete beginners like me who had never even picked up a pair of knitting needles. I found this book so good I have asked my family for the second book for Christmas. Happy Knitting!
on 3 June 2015
This most definitely deserves the 5 star rating! Why? Well I was looking around for a book that had excellent photos in, with clear instructions rather than those books with dreadful black/ grey artists impressions in and this book has just what I was looking for!

I have to say that, for me personally I learn better from actual photos, and in here you definitely won't be disappointed! They are all very clear and so easy to follow!

For me personally I think that this IS THE BEST book for beginners I have ever come across, and believe me I have well over 80 Knitting books that I have bought over the years from Amazon!!!!

I have been bursting to write this review, as I wanted everyone to know just how AWESOME this book really is!!!!!!!! I just hope fellow crafters will read this review and act on it by buying such an AMAZING book, as like the title says "it's for the absolute beginner" and I know that you won't be disappointed with you purchase!!!!!!!!!!

Would I recommend? Well what do you think??!!!
on 18 October 2011
As an aspiring knitter with a new baby and no responsible adult to turn to within a 300 mile radius, this was exactly the kind of book that I had been looking for. I learned the basics as a child but could never remember how to cast on etc, and certainly would not have known where to start when trying to read a pattern.

If this sounds familiar, then 'Knitty Gritty' is the book for you. Each of the basic techniques and stitches are explained in plain English with clear photographs. The book includes knitting patterns that are translated line-by-line so you know exactly what to do. There are helpful tips and trouble-shooting advice throughout, as well as basic projects to practice newfound skills. The author's emphasis is on small projects that you can start and complete so you build your skills and confidence at the same time. After reading it from cover to cover, I was determined to get knitting and have just completed my first project - a baby sweater.

'Knitty Gritty' makes knitting accessible and enjoyable. I am hooked.
on 31 October 2011
I brought this book about 2 weeks ago, i was very doubtful i would be able to knit but this book is brilliant! Within 10 minutes of opening the book i had cast on! Within 15 minutes i was knittintg! Now bare in mind i was a complete begineer!! I have never ever picked up a knitting needle before let alone knit! The book as pictures and a very clear and precise instructions. Its very simnple and uncomplicated! knitty gritty has a loads of prjects in starting from total begineer and slowly getting harder as the book goes on, but the projects progress in hardness so you dont get baffled. Knitty gritty shows you a few different stitches, how to correct you work if you make a mistake, busts all the knitting jargon so you know whats being said. Knitty gritty is a fun, modern and very very simple book to follow. If you are a total begineer this is the only book you will need :) If you have knitted before this would be a very good book to refresh you also. 10/10
on 18 January 2010
This book explains things really well and is very English, unlike most of the other books out there. What disappointed me was that there wasn't much in it that I actually wanted to make. Even in the professional pictures some of the stuff looks ill fitting and frankly a bit rubbish (fancy knitting your boyfriend a woolly necktie anyone??), also there are some basic layout mistakes where it's easy to follow the wrong steps when taking a pattern from one page to the next because the description of where to go next is just plain wrong.

However in terms of the actual techniques taught though it's fine and gives very clear explanations - what I've ended up doing is making things from the patterns in the Chicks With Sticks guide but using the explanations from here - the techniques taught are basically the same.
99 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2008
A well-paced first introduction to knitting, with plenty of fun gift-worthy projects. The illustrative photos accompanying the encouraging text are copious and very well done making it very clear what goes where. No confusing ambiguous hand-drawn illustrations here. The author is a knitting teacher herself, clear from the contents of the book - the techniques are obviously well-tested, with tips and gotchas highlighted at just the right moment, and important points driven home. As I progress to more advanced knitting I still refer back to this book. Heartily recommended.
on 11 October 2010
At the time of writing this, a new knitting book for the absolute beginner has just been launched - Purls Of Wisdom by Jenny Lord. It's a *beautiful* book and the patterns are gorgeous. But like all the other "beginner" books out there, the how-to-knit section consists of drawings that I personally find very confusing. This is where Knitty Gritty differs. Aneeta uses photographs to show you what to do, which is 10 times easier to follow. I still maintain that it's easier to learn from a relative/friend but if you have to do it from a book, buy Knitty Gritty.

Additionally, while Lord learned to knit in her 20s and has thus written the book she wished she had when she started (which sort of makes her the Laetitia Maklouf of knitting) Patel is an experienced knitting teacher. Lord starts you on a Bramble Stitch Scarf, which is beautiful but not something I can achieve with so little experience - snaps for those of you who managed it; I'm happy to admit I may be in the minority. Patel goes for a big, chunky scarf that only requires the knit stitch. A lovely, simple project with a much bigger pay-off, even if the garment round your neck isn't quite as elegant as Lord's. The second project, baby booties, is also knit-only, giving you time to build up your confidence before bringing in the purl stitch.

Both books are great but if you're a true beginner who has struggled to learn from diagrams, I would recommend Knitty Gritty hands down.