5.0 out of 5 stars My absolute favourite knitting book!!!
I love this book! I vaguely remember knitting when I was small but like many had forgotten how. The pictures are all really clear and the accompanying text is plainly written, making it all nice and easy to follow. Its also written for an English audience, so no need to translate needle sizes or yarn type from US.

I love the projects in this book, they all look...
Published on 18 Nov 2008 by R. Helm

3.0 out of 5 stars Good teaching - but not much that you'd want to wear
Published on 18 Jan 2010 by JAK

5.0 out of 5 stars My absolute favourite knitting book!!!, 18 Nov 2008
R. Helm - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner (Paperback)

I love the projects in this book, they all look fun to make, the patterns themselves are explained really well (especially all of the abbreviations) and most importantly it all looks really achievable. I hate looking through a so called 'beginners' book and feeling like I would be out of my depth knitting half of what is in it.

The author also encourages creativity which is great, I feel like I've made something I really like rather than just following a very specific pattern which can only be knitted with 'X' yarn.

5.0 out of 5 stars From naught to knit in a few days!, 21 Jan 2013
I received this book for Christmas 2011, having never held a pair of knitting needles in my life. Within a week, I was halfway through knitting my first scarf - and I haven't looked back since!! A year on, I've knitted scarves, hats, bootees, flowers and cardigans...and even developed the confidence to try designing my own stuff - my boring page-to-day work diary now has a wooly cover that's the envy of all my work colleagues (actually I think they're all having a good laugh at my expense...but I'm proud of my wooly diary!!)

Back to the book. For a true beginner like myself, this book is truly fabulous. I love the way it's set out, for starters. Most books that aim to teach are new hobby are set out so that all the techniques are at the beginning, then there's a section at the back for prjoects. I've always found this so frustrating: you turn to the first project in the book because you're enthusiastic and rearing to go....but you end up having to flick back through all the techniques pages each time you encounter a new step requiring a skill you haven't mastered yet.

Not so with Aneeta Patel. This book is laid out as a series of tutorials; two to three at a time. So...once you've mastered casting on, basic stitches and casting off...you're ready for your first scarf. Finished? OK, time for some new information to add to your repertoire: decreasing stitches. Now, you can cast on and off, knit a basic stitch and decrease. Why not try some simple bootees? You get the idea. You could almost treat this as a workbook: go all the way through from beginning to end, and you will have mastered all the skills in the book; and (the best part), you will have loads of finished items to show for it!

Clearly written with excellent pictures (bravo that photographer - it can't be easy to illustrate something this intricate so clearly); I'd recommend this book (and its follow-up) to anyone wanting to learn to knit. It's like having a real-life knitting teacher with you the whole time.

Brilliant! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned to knit thanks to this book!!!!!, 1 Feb 2009
Laura Simmons (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I was given a "Learn to Knit" book for Christmas and it's rubbish. I just ended up feeling frustrated.... so I searched Amazon for something decent and read the positive reviews of this book. I'm so pleased I bought it. Projects start simple and build up to more complex work. Good "trouble-shooting" section. Brilliant explanations of how patterns are written (which, as a complete novice, seemed like a foreign language to me!). Yes, there are lots of projects that involve children's clothes but, for me, that's not a criticism - personally I need small projects to get me started and keep up my momentum!! I have a concern though - this book has made knitting seem so fun and easy I'm going to spend a fortune on wool!!!!

If you're a complete beginner and need a book to get you started (and keep your interest in the beauty and fun of knitting) then this is definately the book for you!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tuition, too many children's clothes patterns, 23 Feb 2010
Rosey Lea (london, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a lovely, clearly illustrated book for the knitting beginner and improver. I specifically bought it for the clear tuition of sewing up techniques, as my final sewing up of the finished knitting often lets the piece down.

Although the tuition pages are great, I was disappointed by the patterns. The bulk of the book follows the format of 'here's the lesson, now knit this pattern', but the majority of the patterns are for children's clothes. Granted these are simple for the novice knitter, but as someone with no reason to knit baby clothes other than knitting practice, I felt a bit cheated to be confronted with so many baby and child patterns. The book should have been called 'Knitting baby clothes for the absolute beginner'.

Patterns aside, this book is really great for clear, straightforward knitting tuition and improvement!

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 1 Dec 2011
Dm Marshall - See all my reviews
as a 67 year old male , Iv'e decided to take up knitting to help pass the time.
this book is great .. after a quick skim through and a trip to the local wool
shop , Iv'e started to knit my wife a scarf . It may not be the worlds best scarf .
but I'm knitting already

5.0 out of 5 stars A REAL beginners guide, 28 Jun 2009
A brilliant book which really does cover all the basics. It makes learning knitting a joy as the projects are so simple and rewarding to make. The skills are well explained in clear steps with good illustrations. The projects are useful and pretty and worth making. Other beginner books i've used have been frustrating and time consuming and its easy to loose interest with other books as they are a bit too complex for a true beginner - there is none of this with this book. Now i have the basics I'm moving on to simple patterns such as Noro, but i still use this as a reference when I forget/have a blank moment.

This really is the best beginner book I have seen - and being a hoarder, I have a few of them!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good teaching - but not much that you'd want to wear, 18 Jan 2010
This book explains things really well and is very English, unlike most of the other books out there. What disappointed me was that there wasn't much in it that I actually wanted to make. Even in the professional pictures some of the stuff looks ill fitting and frankly a bit rubbish (fancy knitting your boyfriend a woolly necktie anyone??), also there are some basic layout mistakes where it's easy to follow the wrong steps when taking a pattern from one page to the next because the description of where to go next is just plain wrong.

However in terms of the actual techniques taught though it's fine and gives very clear explanations - what I've ended up doing is making things from the patterns in the Chicks With Sticks guide but using the explanations from here - the techniques taught are basically the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life saver!, 18 Jan 2009
Amazon Customer (Ossett, West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Being from Brazil and having learned to knit, as a kid, in Portuguese terms, I needed to find out how to do it "in English". I hadn't picked up knitting needles for nearly a decade and even then, all I was ever able to do was garter or stocking stitch scarves. This book really brought it all back AND THEN SOME! It's very clearly written, the pictures are excellent and I just can't fault it in anyway.
It gave me a good and strong base to start on different and more advanced projects: I've got myself a cable hat and fingerless gloves to match - all of it in less than a month! Yay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic introduction to knitting, 6 Nov 2008
Knitty gritty is a clear "how to" guide for the absolute beginner, but is also useful for those who once knew how to knit in the dim and distant past.

It is clearly laid out and illustrated, so that you understand exactly what you are meant to be doing. The text is straightforward and confidence inspiring, full of little knacks for remembering what you are meant ot be doing.

It can be used as a course, with projects of increasing difficulty as you learn new techniques, or as something to dip into.

All the projects are straightforward, and the emphasis is on showing techniques, so this is not a book for the experienced knitter, but the clarity and enthusiastic approach make it brilliant for beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted to knitting!, 30 Jun 2009
R. Bateman (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
My gran taught me to knit about twenty years ago. She taught me how to cast on, knit and add wool, all the basics. Then she passed away before teaching me how to cast off or knit anything other than scarves. I could start knitting but not stop knitting. As a result, with the typical fickleness of a teenager, I lost interest. Recently, my great aunt cleared out a cupboard and found several of these efforts, ranging from a few centimetres to a record five feet in length, each with a needle still stuck in the top. We had a bit of a laugh, but it got me thinking. I'd been looking for a hobby to take up that would allow me to make things as gifts for friends and family (we're in the middle of the late-twenties/early-thirties baby boom that every social circle experiences) and knitting was something I'd enjoyed very much for a while. I decided that now was the time to resurrect this hobby. Unfortunately, without either of my grandmothers (both talented knitters) I would have to turn to a book to remind me of what I'd forgotten and teach me what I'd never learned. I looked at a few books but they all seemed to make things even I knew to be simple sound complicated - some of the instructions might as have well have been in Greek. Then I found this book. I can tell you now, whether you've never knitted or are relearning rusty skills, you should BUY IT NOW. This is without doubt one of the best written, clearest and simplest knitting books you can get. I am proud to say I have not yet dropped a stitch and can now knit and watch telly at the same time - just two months after it dropped through my letter box. The projects are simple and easy to make but they look absolutely gorgeous and the way the book is written has you itching to get on to the next one. Well done Aneeta Patel!
Update March 2013: Thanks to the skills learned in this book, I have moved on sufficiently with my knitting to be selling items, as well as knitting even the most complex patterns. I attribute the ease of this progression to the way the basics were taught in this book, giving me confidence in the techniques. I recently gave my copy to a friend as a gift when she wanted to learn to knit. She was an 'absolute beginner' who had never picked up needles, but she'd fallen in love with the knitted items I and others had given her for her children and wanted to learn for herself. She tells me that she found the book so easy to comprehend that she's wondering why she didn't take up knitting years ago - although she confesses that she always thought it was 'too complicated' - Ms Patel has enlightened her! I suspect that she will pass the book on to another friend when she's finished it, I had another friend and colleague who works at the same place interested in learning to knit and when I gave my friend the book I suggested that when she had worked her way through it she pass it on (sorry Amazon!) I would love to think of this one copy working it's way through our department spreading the joy of knitting behind it!

Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner by Aneeta Patel (Paperback - 30 July 2008)