5.0 out of 5 stars My absolute favourite knitting book!!!
I love this book! I vaguely remember knitting when I was small but like many had forgotten how. The pictures are all really clear and the accompanying text is plainly written, making it all nice and easy to follow. Its also written for an English audience, so no need to translate needle sizes or yarn type from US.

I love the projects in this book, they all look...
Published on 18 Nov. 2008 by R. Helm

3.0 out of 5 stars Good teaching - but not much that you'd want to wear
This book explains things really well and is very English, unlike most of the other books out there. What disappointed me was that there wasn't much in it that I actually wanted to make. Even in the professional pictures some of the stuff looks ill fitting and frankly a bit rubbish (fancy knitting your boyfriend a woolly necktie anyone??), also there are some basic layout...
Published on 18 Jan. 2010 by JAK

5.0 out of 5 stars My absolute favourite knitting book!!!, 18 Nov. 2008
R. Helm - See all my reviews
This review is from: Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner (Paperback)

I love the projects in this book, they all look fun to make, the patterns themselves are explained really well (especially all of the abbreviations) and most importantly it all looks really achievable. I hate looking through a so called 'beginners' book and feeling like I would be out of my depth knitting half of what is in it.

The author also encourages creativity which is great, I feel like I've made something I really like rather than just following a very specific pattern which can only be knitted with 'X' yarn.

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned to knit thanks to this book!!!!!, 1 Feb. 2009
Laura Simmons (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I was given a "Learn to Knit" book for Christmas and it's rubbish. I just ended up feeling frustrated.... so I searched Amazon for something decent and read the positive reviews of this book. I'm so pleased I bought it. Projects start simple and build up to more complex work. Good "trouble-shooting" section. Brilliant explanations of how patterns are written (which, as a complete novice, seemed like a foreign language to me!). Yes, there are lots of projects that involve children's clothes but, for me, that's not a criticism - personally I need small projects to get me started and keep up my momentum!! I have a concern though - this book has made knitting seem so fun and easy I'm going to spend a fortune on wool!!!!

If you're a complete beginner and need a book to get you started (and keep your interest in the beauty and fun of knitting) then this is definately the book for you!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars From naught to knit in a few days!, 21 Jan. 2013
I received this book for Christmas 2011, having never held a pair of knitting needles in my life. Within a week, I was halfway through knitting my first scarf - and I haven't looked back since!! A year on, I've knitted scarves, hats, bootees, flowers and cardigans...and even developed the confidence to try designing my own stuff - my boring page-to-day work diary now has a wooly cover that's the envy of all my work colleagues (actually I think they're all having a good laugh at my expense...but I'm proud of my wooly diary!!)

Back to the book. For a true beginner like myself, this book is truly fabulous. I love the way it's set out, for starters. Most books that aim to teach are new hobby are set out so that all the techniques are at the beginning, then there's a section at the back for prjoects. I've always found this so frustrating: you turn to the first project in the book because you're enthusiastic and rearing to go....but you end up having to flick back through all the techniques pages each time you encounter a new step requiring a skill you haven't mastered yet.

Not so with Aneeta Patel. This book is laid out as a series of tutorials; two to three at a time. So...once you've mastered casting on, basic stitches and casting off...you're ready for your first scarf. Finished? OK, time for some new information to add to your repertoire: decreasing stitches. Now, you can cast on and off, knit a basic stitch and decrease. Why not try some simple bootees? You get the idea. You could almost treat this as a workbook: go all the way through from beginning to end, and you will have mastered all the skills in the book; and (the best part), you will have loads of finished items to show for it!

Clearly written with excellent pictures (bravo that photographer - it can't be easy to illustrate something this intricate so clearly); I'd recommend this book (and its follow-up) to anyone wanting to learn to knit. It's like having a real-life knitting teacher with you the whole time.

Brilliant! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A blissfully straightforward introduction to knitting..., 10 Oct. 2011
My grandmother taught me basic knitting stitches when I was young, but not having picked-up knitting needles for years, I had completely forgotten how to do it and sadly my grandmother's no longer around to remind me. With the resurgence of knitting and all the beautiful yarns around, I was longing to have another go and feel really fortunate to have come across this book.

Whilst I take many other reviewers' points about the prevalance of baby and kids knitting projects in the book (which aren't wholly relevant to me either), the cushion pattern comes out really well and is easy to do as are many of the others. What I particularly liked about this book, however, is that the author explains things in really simple terms (the 'soup bowl' method of increasing being utterly inspired!) and whilst you might not get it first time, with a little perseverence and practice, all becomes clear. The book is also excellent for giving you the tools and confidence to make minor adaptations to patterns and create simple ones of your own.

Quite by chance, I was fortunate enough to meet the author at the Knitting & Stitching show 2011 and can vouch for her enthusiasm and commitment to teaching knitting. Even before this I had recommended this book to many people who have seen the fun I have had and beautiful things I have made, all of whom have found it equally clear and motivating and have gone on to learn more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted to knitting!, 30 Jun. 2009
R. Bateman (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
My gran taught me to knit about twenty years ago. She taught me how to cast on, knit and add wool, all the basics. Then she passed away before teaching me how to cast off or knit anything other than scarves. I could start knitting but not stop knitting. As a result, with the typical fickleness of a teenager, I lost interest. Recently, my great aunt cleared out a cupboard and found several of these efforts, ranging from a few centimetres to a record five feet in length, each with a needle still stuck in the top. We had a bit of a laugh, but it got me thinking. I'd been looking for a hobby to take up that would allow me to make things as gifts for friends and family (we're in the middle of the late-twenties/early-thirties baby boom that every social circle experiences) and knitting was something I'd enjoyed very much for a while. I decided that now was the time to resurrect this hobby. Unfortunately, without either of my grandmothers (both talented knitters) I would have to turn to a book to remind me of what I'd forgotten and teach me what I'd never learned. I looked at a few books but they all seemed to make things even I knew to be simple sound complicated - some of the instructions might as have well have been in Greek. Then I found this book. I can tell you now, whether you've never knitted or are relearning rusty skills, you should BUY IT NOW. This is without doubt one of the best written, clearest and simplest knitting books you can get. I am proud to say I have not yet dropped a stitch and can now knit and watch telly at the same time - just two months after it dropped through my letter box. The projects are simple and easy to make but they look absolutely gorgeous and the way the book is written has you itching to get on to the next one. Well done Aneeta Patel!
Update March 2013: Thanks to the skills learned in this book, I have moved on sufficiently with my knitting to be selling items, as well as knitting even the most complex patterns. I attribute the ease of this progression to the way the basics were taught in this book, giving me confidence in the techniques. I recently gave my copy to a friend as a gift when she wanted to learn to knit. She was an 'absolute beginner' who had never picked up needles, but she'd fallen in love with the knitted items I and others had given her for her children and wanted to learn for herself. She tells me that she found the book so easy to comprehend that she's wondering why she didn't take up knitting years ago - although she confesses that she always thought it was 'too complicated' - Ms Patel has enlightened her! I suspect that she will pass the book on to another friend when she's finished it, I had another friend and colleague who works at the same place interested in learning to knit and when I gave my friend the book I suggested that when she had worked her way through it she pass it on (sorry Amazon!) I would love to think of this one copy working it's way through our department spreading the joy of knitting behind it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - especially if you're impatient like me!, 29 July 2010
Like the other reviewers on here, I hadn't knitted in years and had forgotten just about everything. I've bought a few "How to Knit" books in the past but given up because a) I never saw results quick enough, and b) they all assumed a level of basic knowledge that I just didn't have. I didn't give up searching though and I am so glad I've found this book.

The author very cleverly uses patterns that will show results quickly, so you don't feel like you're getting nowhere fast. My first attempt, the scarf, I knitted in a day and it's Tom Baker Dr. Who length! She also breaks down and translates the patterns for you, whilst explaining what an earth they mean and shows you with very clear photos and instructions how to cast on, cast off and create the various stitches. Importantly, (and this is where ALL the other books fell down) she also tells you how to change colours and what to do when you've reached the end of that first ball of wool and are wondering how the next one joins on!

My one small criticism would be the amount of baby patterns, but again, they show results quickly and that inspires you to keep going. My only problem is that I don't know anybody with any babies at the moment, but I shall knit them anyway.

Well done to the author on this great book. I hope we see more of her on here very soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, it all makes sense!, 20 May 2009
S. Hook "sassyann" (UK) - See all my reviews
At last, a knitting book which actually makes sense and has diagrams that are clear and helpful and don't make me end up with a cats-cradle of knotted yarn. It was like reading the Rosetta Stone of knitting - it suddenly all made sense. The patterns are really well explained and the sense of achievment that I felt after tackling each one made me yearn for more and more. Addictive.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK!!, 8 Dec. 2009
My mum taught me to knit when I was very small. Now in my mid-forties I have just decided to pick up the interest again and I have found this book exactly as was described in the reviews, very informative and starting at the basics. Knitting just came flooding back, from casting on to just the general flow of knitting. I am now just working on my tension consistency and eagerly looking forward to larger projects. Have completed a great chunky red scarf for myself that I would easily have bought in the shops and best thing is I've made it myself. I can't wait to show it to my mum I'm so proud of it!

If you want to learn knitting from the beginning or just to pick up rusty skills - this is the book to buy. I'm certainly not disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 1 Dec. 2011
Dm Marshall - See all my reviews
as a 67 year old male , Iv'e decided to take up knitting to help pass the time.
this book is great .. after a quick skim through and a trip to the local wool
shop , Iv'e started to knit my wife a scarf . It may not be the worlds best scarf .
but I'm knitting already

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginner's introduction, 2 Dec. 2008
A well-paced first introduction to knitting, with plenty of fun gift-worthy projects. The illustrative photos accompanying the encouraging text are copious and very well done making it very clear what goes where. No confusing ambiguous hand-drawn illustrations here. The author is a knitting teacher herself, clear from the contents of the book - the techniques are obviously well-tested, with tips and gotchas highlighted at just the right moment, and important points driven home. As I progress to more advanced knitting I still refer back to this book. Heartily recommended.

Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner
Knitty Gritty: Knitting for the Absolute Beginner by Aneeta Patel (Paperback - 30 July 2008)