5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, useful for all levels of expertise, 22 Jun 2010
This review is from: Japanese Quilt Blocks (Paperback)
This is the first quilting book I have bought having enjoyed looking through my tutor's copy at a recent patchwork class. I have only made two very simple patchwork quilts up until now but this book has inspired me to design something more complicated for my third project.

The bulk of the book is taken up by a 'block directory' with 132 blocks of varying types and intricacy detailed. The pictures are of very high quality and the construction of each block is explained in both simple diagrams and text. For inspiration, there are also pictures of finished quilts using the blocks in different ways although the emphasis is very much upon building your own design using the blocks as a basis. This is an approach which I think encourages creativity and demonstrates the book's versatility.

There is a brief summary of quilting techniques, fabric types, equipment etc. but if you are new to quilting (like me) I would recommend buying this book alongside "Compendium of Quilting Techniques" by the same author. I would recommend "Japanese Quilt Blocks" to quilters of all levels of experience and ability, even those who have hitherto not had more than a passing interest in Japanese textiles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative items to work with, 3 April 2009
Maria Teresa Anzola "La aguja de Matea" (Valencia, España) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Japanese Quilt Blocks (Paperback)
I found not only the information but the ideas to work with Patchwork excellent. It is always helpful to find new creative things to teach and to try. Thank you.Quilt Making Tips and Techniques

4.0 out of 5 stars Japanese Quilt Blocks, 25 Jun 2010
S. Francis - See all my reviews
This review is from: Japanese Quilt Blocks (Paperback)
This is an excellent book. There are many new ideas for patchwork blocks and new slants on popular blocks. It deserves a 5-star rating, but unfortunately my copy is missing pages 109 to 116.

5.0 out of 5 stars Japanese Quilt Blocks, 1 Nov 2011
This review is from: Japanese Quilt Blocks (Paperback)
A beautiful book of Japanese patchwork and quilting which is a wonderful contrast to the traditional English and American patchwork. Fantastic as a reference book when trying to think of new ideas as well as a wonderful insight into Japanese textiles.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Japanese treasure trove, 1 Feb 2010
B. Barford (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Japanese Quilt Blocks (Paperback)
Wonderful small kimono blocks to make with ideas for turning them into a larger project. Each one is graded as to difficulty and the instructions very well displayed. I loved this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book love., 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Japanese Quilt Blocks (Paperback)
I checked it out from my library and kept renewing it several times so I thought it was worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 25 Dec 2013
G. C. Clarke (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Japanese Quilt Blocks (Paperback)
I've just been given this book as a Christmas gift, after having it on my wish list for ages. It's amazing, I can't wait to get sewing.

The block directory gives a clear photo of each block, along with a detailed list of exactly what pieces you need to cut, and how to construct the block. There is even a Sashiko section! I am in heaven!

5.0 out of 5 stars Japanese quilt blocks, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Japanese Quilt Blocks (Paperback)
Excellently illustrated and very clear, informative instructions for a beginner and more advanced quilter, made me itching to get going on a project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: Japanese Quilt Blocks (Paperback)
This has given me lots of ideas and I look forward to making a fab new japanese quilt in 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: Japanese Quilt Blocks (Paperback)
Love this book could'nt wait to get started. Loads of patterns to choose from and the only thing that I would say is that you have to calculate all the materials required yourself, ok for an experienced quilter a little more difficult for a beginner. The book is in good condition.

Japanese Quilt Blocks
Japanese Quilt Blocks by Susan Briscoe (Paperback - 10 April 2007)