5.0 out of 5 stars RSPB GUIDE TO BIRDWATCHING - A STEP-BY STEP APPROACH, 6 Aug 2009
This review is from: RSPB Guide to Birdwatching: A Step-by-step Approach (Rspb) (Paperback)
When I think back to the days when I started birdwatching in the 1970s, there were relatively few books to help you decide how to watch birds. You really relied on meeting others in order to "learn the ropes". Had this book been available back then I think that the ability of me and my teenage friends to understand the hobby would have accelerated at least four times faster than it did.

The first section (Getting Started) uses eight clear steps to teach us about the physical adaptations of birds including plumage, structure, wings, feet, beaks and so on. It also explains how and why birds sing, and why some birds don't have a song. The next part (Getting Closer) introduces the tools of the trade - optical equipment, clothing and books. It also tells you how to interpret distribution maps and how to keep your own useful notes. There is a general introduction to the various bird groups. The third chapter (Finding the Birds) runs through the main habitat types. Basic behaviour and biology is covered in another section (Understanding Birds) and another (Helping Birds) particularly covers bird feeding and nestboxes. The closing chapter provides all the links you need to take your hobby from where it is to wherever you want it to be - whether that is joining a club, volunteering to clear scrub, taking part in surveys, ringing or taking photographs. There is a checklist of 270 regularly-occurring British birds, although it would have been helpful to indicate the abundance of each and the likely seasons that they will occur.

Of course you can't learn fieldcraft from a book, but as a complete novice if you were locked up and forced to read this book from cover to cover I think that on your release you could convince many birdwatchers that you had been an active birder for many years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely looking and totally fascinating, 1 Mar 2009
Drys (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is great if you know nothing, or quite a bit about birds. Packed full of details of how to recognise birds - and tell similar ones apart. Makes you want to go out and look at birds NOW.

5.0 out of 5 stars great way to learn about birds, 8 Feb 2009
PG MORRISON (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great way to start identifying birds and learn a bit more too. Good thing about it is starting from scrach and you don't need to know much about birds to understand and follow the guidance. Helpful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birdwatching, 2 April 2009
Mrs. J. M. Bullion "Bookaholic" (Berkshire UK) - See all my reviews
I loaned this book from the local library and because I liked it so much, I decided to buy a copy. Beautiful clear illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 9 Feb 2011
I bought this book for my boyfriend as he loves birds and bird watching and he was over the moon with it. He has learnt so much about birds using this book and refers to it all the time. Well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best bird book ever, 27 Nov 2010
a great book, and very easy to use, my kids and I are novices at bird watching and this book does exactly what it says on the cover, it gives you step by step tips on how to prepare for a bird watching trip and the best places to find birds. great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for the novice like myself, 2 Feb 2013
Although I have been very keen on natural history all my life it is only as I approach 40 that I have decided to take up bird watching. I bought myself several identification guides, location guides and even a new pair of binoculars, this book helps you to put all these to good use. It is a fantastic book for novices new to bird watching like myself, full of tips and tricks to help you identify birds. Its a great starting point for anyone just starting out bird watching. I highly recommend this book and to be honest you can't go far wrong with any of the RSPB guides, several of which I have recently purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for beginner like myself, 8 Jan 2014
jenny wren (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Lovely book, used many times now on walks and very useful information.
Nicely illustrated and not too large for good sized pocket in a walking jacket!

RSPB Guide to Birdwatching: A Step-by-step Approach (Rspb)
RSPB Guide to Birdwatching: A Step-by-step Approach (Rspb) by Mike Unwin (Paperback - 15 Oct 2008)
9.09