4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book for nature lovers
I bought this for my niece as she lives in the country-side with animals and birds everywhere. She's still quite young but she liked the book because she got to guess which bird it was.

Published on 6 May 2009 by Boof

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Purchased this book for my 4 year old son to support his pre-school syllabus. Although the book is sturdy and a nice size, I was very disappointed with the pictures, The cover pictures are fine, however the ones inside were very "arty", lacked definition and did not convey to my son what the actual bird will look like.

I think this book will be better for an...
Published on 15 Feb 2011 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book for nature lovers, 6 May 2009
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds (Hardcover)

There is an illustration of the back or side of a bird and a description of the sound it makes, where you will usually see it (in hedges, tall trees etc) and what colourings it has and then you have to guess the name. Turn over the page and it gives the answer and a front illustration of the bird with more information.

While I would guess that this book would be more exciting for 5+ year olds, my niece is not yet 3 and she seems to enjoy the guessing and remembering which bird it is and, of course, the pictures.

Really nice book for kids who are interested in nature

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 15 Feb 2011
This review is from: RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds (Hardcover)

I think this book will be better for an older child who can read well, and perhaps has a small knowledge of birds, as it is almost a quiz; giving clues to the behaviour of each bird, showing you a difficult view of the bird and asking you to guess which it is, you then turn the page to find out if you're right.

Overall, OK as a supporting text, but if you're trying to teach your child about birds and encourage them to name them as they see them, then I don't think this is the best book for that.

3.0 out of 5 stars First book of garden birds, 5 Jan 2011
This review is from: RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds (Hardcover)
Bought this book for my four year old grandson as we enjoy bird watching in the garden together.Book was nice and simple ,good outer cover but was a bit disapointed with the bird pictures expected them to be clearer with more definition to them and clearer colours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful For My 4 Yr Old Daughter, 17 May 2014
AlexKrycek "I Believe..." (Sheffield - England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds (Hardcover)
My daughter had recently taken an interest in looking at the birds in the garden, so I wanted to get her a basic bird book. This one fits the bill. Its very well illustrated, lovely large drawings, and nice big words on each page. The best bit is that on the page you are looking at, there is a picture of a bird obscured, and you have to guess what type of bird it is. You then turn the page to see if you are right. There is an introduction about looking after birds and the such, but no more than a couple of paragraphs. On the back page, every bird is illustrated and listed for quick reference. The fact the book is hardback is a bonus. Cost and delivery excellent. I am really pleased and would highly recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely book, 27 Aug 2010
S. A. Kerry "rkerry" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds (Hardcover)
got this for my 3 year old daughter and she loves it and having her own bird book, she enjoys learning all different bird names, lovely drawing of birds and realy well laid out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Starter., 22 May 2014
This review is from: RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds (Hardcover)
The little girl for whom this was purchased really loved it despite not ever being able to find many of the illustrated birds actually visiting her garden. It still has pride of place on her bookshelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars children like this book, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds (Hardcover)
Read a review after I had put my order in, Was quite concerned as the review was unfavourable, However upon receipt it is perfect for the children, bright and informative and not too 'heavy' for them

5.0 out of 5 stars grandson loved it, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds (Hardcover)
Perfect first book of birds for a four year old and has encouraged him to feed the birds and make sure they have water. He can now recite the names of most birds he sees.

3.0 out of 5 stars not the best, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds (Hardcover)
I brought this as a present for a friends children this Xmas,so only managed to have a brief look through.
My verdict:I'm no twitcher,but I would have expected there to be more photo images rather than sketched illustrations.
Other than that..thought it was okay for beginners.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT SERVICE, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds (Hardcover)
This book is exactly what I wanted. I bought it for my 2 year old grandchild who is fascinated by birds in her garden. She is now learning to name them. Delivery was prompt.
AN EXCELLENT SERVICE AND A BEAUTIFUL PRODUCT.

RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds
RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds by Sarah Whittley (Hardcover - 25 April 2006)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available