on 2 July 2013
Having studied silver jewellery making, I've started to use more interesting gemstones and beads. I ordered the book after reading a previous review about how the book gives examples on uses in jewellery making. I read it from cover to cover when it arrived! It has lots of lovely photos with inspiring setting ideas and tips on how best to use the stones. I found it fascinating learning more about all the stones - both popular and more unusual - in an easy to follow way. A real 'gem' to add to my reference books!
on 23 January 2013
Very good reference guide for beginner and the images are stunning. I use this regularly with Philip's Guide to Gems, Stones and Crystals.
on 6 January 2013
A highly informative book about gemstones with particular reference to their use in jewellery. The text contains plenty of technical information such as sources of stones, hardness, specific gravity and crystal forms as well as information about the limitations of stones and commercial treatments. Photographs are clear, well presented and inspiring.
on 24 June 2014
Really is a fab book, I make and sell jewellery, needed to learn a bit more about the gems I'm using this is perfect. Lovely pictures, very interesting. Great for anyone who wants to learn a bit more about gems with out and over load of info. There's about two to three pages on each gem. Can't recommend it enough
on 14 May 2014
I liked the lay out and excellent use of photos in this book. It is too large to carry around on a daily basis, and at the same time makes an excellent desk reference for people who are learning about gem stones. In my opinion, it hits the spot for beginning gemologists.
on 8 December 2013
Easy to read and understand. Great for beginners on gemmology but also for those who purely have an interest in gem stones, their origins and facts about them. This was bought as a gift and truly appreciated by someone who collects vintage jewellery.
on 16 October 2012
Okay, I was at first hesitant, but once I opened up this baby... wow wow... this has so much information that I will be going through each gem and the information you find is fantastic! Best buy i think for anyone doing anything with gems...!!
on 9 February 2013
Lovely book full of great illustrations and very informative when looking at stones. I found I had to buy another book to id some stones I had at home, but it is still a lovely book.
on 26 April 2013
Bought for present for friend who sells jewellery online. He said it was great, very informative with really good descriptions. He was genuinely very pleased with the present.
on 16 June 2013
Give a very good overall idea about gem stones, the classifications and usage. Wonderful designs as well... Give you an idea of what is happening in this branch.