5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful bird book but is it a field guide?
Published on 16 Jan 2003 by Mark R

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Easy to use.
Published 3 months ago by R K PINHEY

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful bird book but is it a field guide?, 16 Jan 2003
Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania is a wonderful reference book of East African birds. Its Comprehensive,informative and brilliantly illistrated, but.............I do wonder about its usage as a field guide for two main reasons. Firstly, its not the cheapest publication in its subject area and though the hardback version is undoubtedly robust, if you love your books as I do, then packing it, unpacking it and thumbing through it on safari might cause you to wince a little. Secondly, its a heavy publication and not for the faint hearted on a bird walk, particularly if your going to juggle binoculars, camera and note book as well. I certainly want it on my library shelf but will use it alongside smaller, lighter but less comprehensive publications in the future, Perhaps the paperback version offers a more useful option in the field.

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive guide to birds of this region, 5 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This is a truly excellent field guide and brought me great pleasure on a recent holiday in Kenya and northern Tanzania.The plates are of superb quality and the text is clear and helpful in highlighting confusion species.The one slight drawback is the weight of this hardback edition.It certainly is not a pocket guide!I understand that a softback edition is now available.This may prove to be a better option for anyone making a one-off visit to the region.It will definitely be cheaper and take up less luggage space.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only field guide to use in Kenya., 12 Nov 1999
dj_kelly@lineone.net (Prestonpans, Lothian, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I used this book on a recent trip to East Africa and it was invaluable. No other field guide to this region is comparable. The authors have cut down the hardback handbook to make an excellent field guide, especially for those LBJs such as larks and cisticolas. For any birder or general naturalist visiting Kenya or the adjacent countries this book is invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended by our Tanzanian Guide & Bird Lover, 16 April 2001
By A Customer
This book comes highly recommended by our Tanzanian Guide with whom we went on safari recently in the Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti. He was extremely knowledgeable about the birds in this area and he could not praise this book enough for its accuracy and detail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good comprehensive guide for birds of Masai mara, 18 Feb 2011
This review is from: Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania (Helm Field Guides) (Paperback)
First things first, it's not a small book and weighs nearly as much as a bag of sugar.

However, coming back from Kenya 3 years ago with around 3000 images of wildlife and a fading memory this book has helped me identify the birds quite easily. The birds are grouped into species/varieties, the images and descriptions are quite clear. Can't believe there is such a variety of birds in the region.

Recommended,

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 21 Nov 2013
This is the book I was looking for. It has all that I need to pick out the birds I see on my safaris. It's not to heavy and will be travelling Kenya many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for use in Kenya., 19 Mar 2013
The book worked for me on my trip to Kenya. I was able to identify all the birds which were seen. Great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book 4 and half but not quite a 5, 7 Mar 2013
Great book, with really good illustrations, maps and descriptions. My only negative comment is I would have liked the text and illustrations closer together like the Collins Bird Guides so you do not have to refer to two places in the book. The maps are also a little on the small side. That aside a good buy and better than the rest of the books I checked out. 4 and half but not quite a 5

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, but not in the same league as its big brother, the Birds of East Africa, 15 Feb 2013
I am a long-time owner and user of the Helm Guide to the Birds of East Africa (let's call it HGBEA for short), which is a wonderful book, expertly presented with beautiful hand-painted illustrations and comprehensive descriptions. It probably rates as my Desert Island Discs book (though I'd go for the whole Helm Field Guide series if Radio 4 would let me). I bought the Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania as a companion to the HGBEA, and it is certainly a pleasure to use the two guides alongside each other. But it is inferior to its big brother in two respects: (1) the distribution maps are not placed adjacent to the plates, which adds an extra complication to the business of species identification, and (2) while the plates are attractive and charming, they are not as accurate or as beautiful as those in the HGBEA.

So, bottom line: if budget, weight or space considerations limit you to only one guide book to the birds of the region, then let it be the HGBEA - it's a no-brainer in my view. But if you are birding in Kenya and/or Northern Tanzania (e.g. in the Serengeti) and enjoy using two or more guide books at once, then the Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania will be a worthy addition to your (by now pretty heavy) safari bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 23 Jan 2013
gmiester (hemel hempstead) - See all my reviews
I recently enjoyed a safari holiday in Kenya. I am a keen birder and birding was one of the main reasons for the trip. Obviously I was going to need a field guide to the birds of Kenya and having read the reviews I ended up buying this one and I have to say I'm so glad I did. To call it a field guide is slightly misleading as it is quite a large book. However, after the days safari back in the comfort of our room I found this book a real joy to leaf through in order to put a name to the birds we had spotted that day. The illustrations are excellent and capture the the birds superbly the text is also very informative complimenting the illustrations perfectly. I was able to successfully identify 280 species of bird using this guide, and I found it to be an invaluable companion on a wonderful and memorable holiday and I would have no hesitation in recommending this guide to anyone planing a trip to Kenya.

Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania (Helm Field Guides)
Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania (Helm Field Guides) by Donald A. Turner (Paperback - 30 Sep 2005)