on 16 May 2011
I've been to The Gambia six times (going again later this year) and Senegal twice. I took my first copy of this book with me on the first trip and realised immediately what a boon it was, being able to quickly check IDs, behavourial habits, etc..
If ever there were a Bible of Gambian birding, this would be it.
Have to say, it got a bit heavy to carry all day so I ended up cheating a bit! I carefully separated the plates (images) and basic info section at the front from the more detailed information in the back half of the hardback book, created a new soft cover (laminated with Transpaseal) for that plates section and now just carry that out in the field, with the rest of the volume back at my accommodation to use more thoroughly at the end of the day.
Our guides always have their own copies with them anyway, so we often have a few minutes of perusing, heads together, just to confirm we saw what we thought we saw!
I do have a pristine copy on my bookshelf at home but my now rather dog-eared travel copy has been the best few pounds I've spent on holiday preparation and has made the difference between absolute involved enjoyment and vague wondering what that was flying past...
55 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2011
Obviously, if you're not particularly interested in birds and you have no intention of travelling to The Gambia, turn away now. But if you are planning a holiday to that part of West Africa then do consider this guide even if you've never been a regular bird-watcher. There are so many beautiful and unusual birds - even in hotel gardens - you'll want to be able to identify them and this guide is perfect. Wonderful, accurate illustrations and bags of interesting detail.
on 5 March 2012
I bought this book for a trip to the Gambia and it is very good. This version has 49 colour plates with brief descriptions opposite and a very good full description at the back of the book. However the plates and brief description give no indication of size, and the arrangement of the birds on the plate can be a little odd. Confusingly some birds on the same plate can be at quite different parts of the written section. The new edition is more conventional with three or four birds per plate with a full write up opposite. The write up also includes a graphic of distribution.

So if this was the only book in town it would be fine as there is nothing wrong with the content, just the arrangement. The new edition addresses the issues raised above so buy the new edition.
on 30 June 2011
Having visited The Gambia for the first time in May, my wife and I wanted something to remember the birds of that West African country - and intend to return there some day for more breathtaking birdwatching.
This book brings the memories flooding back, and is well researched and annotated, so that it makes a very good read. And it will be an excellent 'primer' for us when we go back to The Gambia sometime in the future.
It is the definitive book for Birds of Senegal and The Gambia - and the Amazon purchasing process was a pleasure to use.
Anyone interested in going to The Gambia should contact The Gambia Experience, who are enlighted travel agents who know the territory. We found them very reliable and approachable.
Hi fellow birders,

I can only reiterate the comments of the previous reviews, this book is, I think, the definitive guide to the birds of the Gambia and Senegal.

400 pages with maps, 48 colour plates, many black and white drawings, common and scientific names index, bibliography etc

It also lists useful contacts for birdwatching in the Gambia.

The Gambia is a great introduction to birding in Africa and is relatively speaking inexpensive, there are lots of local guides there and I even got to meet Clive Barlow the author of this book at one of the hotels there.

If you are thinking about a trip to the Gambia and you are interested in birds take a copy with you -it will enhance your enjoyment of the many species of birds that abound there-you don't even have to leave the hotel grounds to see as many as 30 species in a couple of days-watch for Sunbirds sipping nectar from flower heads-they are stunningly beautiful!

Recommended! Enjoy.,
Keep the wind in your face and the sun on your back-Bwana Foster.
on 24 February 2012
Instead of this older book, buy the latest reincarnation 'Birds of Senegal and The Gambia' Nik Borrow and Ron Demey 2011, where text and larger illustrations are integrated together whereas the older 'Birds of The Gambia and Senegal' has the illustrations with limited text at the front and further text in the second half of the book.
on 2 April 2012
Very accurate pictures of birds, with details of where and when to see them. Lots of information on plumage, breeding, habitat, distribution etc. Most of the written details are in the back of the book, with short description by the picture. Excellent book, recommend it.
on 11 January 2012
We have recently returned from the Gambia and were very pleased with this field guide which was easy to use, with excellent illustrations. It will probably remain the definitive guide for many years to come.
on 5 June 2012
One of the most in-depth books on birds of The Gambia and Senegal, the photographs are excellent but I was disappointed in the layout. All of the photographs are at the front, the text is separate. There are also birds in the text not pictured. It is also too big to easily pack to take with you. As a reference book back home it is excellent but less use for onsite reference.
on 7 April 2012
This guide is a must for any bird watcher going to the gambia,
slightly on the heavy side but managable, we all carry rucksacks.
Even those with a little interest in birds, if you.ve not been before evrey birds a new one.