4.0 out of 5 stars Good on the coffee table, 5 April 2010
Rosie Lyon (Lancaster) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Word Origins: The Hidden Histories of English Words from A to Z (Paperback)
This book is fascinating and well worth having - easy-to-understand explanations of word origins and revelations of connections between words that I would never have thought of. Only one reservation: sod's law - it doesn't contain all the words I look up, such as "shenanigans". John, could you please make the next edition more extensive?

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite books, 8 Sep 2013
At the risk of sounding nerdy, I can say that I'm surprised at how interesting I have found this book. It's on my side table so that I can dip into it whenever I think of a word that intrigues me. The link between the European languages is amazing and surprising and I can't help but marvel at how long the author must have spent researching the book. It's a masterpiece. An absolute must-have for everyone with an enquiring mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun!, 7 Feb 2009
N. E. Beetison (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is fun and informative for children and adults. Its set up in a dictionary style so easy to use. Some of the word origins are quite suprising.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 Dec 2012
The most excellent book if you are intetested in where words come from! I would thoroughly revommemd this book b

ARRAY(0xabaa5810)