5.0 out of 5 stars I guarantee this will inspire you
Published on 27 April 2004 by Shelagh

3.0 out of 5 stars worth reading
I bought this for my husband as he was a nautical man and he is reading it all the way through which for him is a bonus. So it must have appeal. Obviously it is a niche market but it is incredible what he achieved on his own and survived against all odds, so you really have to admire the guy
Published 16 months ago by tin lizzie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I guarantee this will inspire you, 27 April 2004
This review is from: A World of My Own: The First Ever Non-stop Solo Round the World Voyage (Paperback)
I love this book. It is an amazing story. Anyone interested remotely insailing should love it. If you haven't read it, I strongly recomend it.The idea of sailing from Falmouth single handed and alone non-stop aroundthe world in a 32 foot wooden yacht, back into Falmouth again - is simple- yet an awesome challenge for 1968 and before the days of GPS, computersand modern boat materials. An amazing tale, I treasure this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite an adventure, 1 Nov 2006
I really enjoyed this book.

It gives an insight into the mind of one of the greatest adventurers of our time.

1968 seems a long time ago (I was only a 1yo baby!) but this guy was out there doing his stuff.

He conveys a sense of freedom we can only dream of these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Classic, 20 Jun 2007
Extremely well written by a truly great Englishman. What comes across in this book is his sheer down-to-earth, common-sense approach to a formidable enterprise. If you want the poetic appreciation of the sea, read Bernard Moitessier. If, however, you want a rattling good yarn, told exactly like it was, read this book - the first of several by this master mariner, whose adventures have continued to the present day.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book - and not only for sailors, 10 Mar 2009
I enjoyed this book immensely and I have very little knowledge of the sea or sailing. It is just a superb book about an astonishing achievement and it is written in a very humble, honest and humorous style. RKJ writes of the highs and lows of his 313 days at sea and about the challenges he has to face in a time when communication, navigation and even food and clothing were far more primitive than they are today. He has many obstacles to overcome and often has to think of ingenious ways around things. He also tells of his inner thoughts as he spends nearly a year of his life alone on Suhaili and I particularly liked the way at one point he analyzes his faith in God.
I am writing this nearly 40 years to the day since he completed his voyage and I'd love to belatedly congratulate him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 6 Feb 2009
RobF (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
In the mid 1960s, sailing alone, non-stop around the world was known to be possible, but had yet to be accomplished. This excellently written book is the story of how it was accomplished. The pictures and excerpts of Knox-Johnstons log enhance a gripping read.

I would recommend this book to anyone keen on sailing.

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic., 9 Dec 2010
One of the greatest adventure stories of our time, who needs fiction when fact is so compelling. An extrodinary tale of determination, courage, skill, bravery, and sheer bloody mindedness. Out of nine sailors to attempt the first ever solo non-stop circumnavigation of the globe that year only one was successful - Robin Knox-Johnston, then in his late twenties, now a living legend and an inspiration.
Having failed to raise the money to have a bespoke craft built for the record attempt (and no one knew if it was actually possible) it was either use what he had or forget the whole thing, so he set off from Falmouth in a 32ft wooden yacht, he'd had built with a friend years earlier, with a sextant and horrific amounts of tinned food - and why? Because he was dammed if a Frenchman was going to be the first to do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 1 Oct 2010
Great to read a book that makes you proud to be British. What an amazing story and what an inspiration this man is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, highly recommend for sailing types, 15 April 2011
I bought this for my husband. He really enjoyed the read. Recommended for readers who enjoy man against the elements and against the odds and sailing afficiandos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, 20 Mar 2014
True British grit and determination. If you are interested in this race you must watch the documentary film Deep Water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 3 Mar 2014
You don't need to be a sailor to enjoy this book, although you might be tempted to become one after you've read it.

Understated and brave, this is a remarkable adventure. Knox-Johnston's pragmatism, resourcefulness and downright stubbornness shone out. I'd be a gibbering wreck if I found myself without potable water or had cracks appearing in my boat in the middle of the ocean but K-J took it all in his stride. Today's circumnavigations are high speed, high tech affairs with satellite phones, email and public outpourings of emotion. K-J endured months of solitude without even a radio after it failed. I'm not given to jingoism but while reading his story, I was proud to be English.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

A World of My Own: The First Ever Non-stop Solo Round the World Voyage
A World of My Own: The First Ever Non-stop Solo Round the World Voyage by Robin Knox-Johnston (Paperback - 30 Jan 2004)
6.99