Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 October 2009
My basic gripe with this book is that it is written by an American for the American market (often referring to American products) and thus is not specific enough for the European reader. It also did not cover in any detail what I wanted from it; wiring diagrams for typical battery installations. I also found the writing style and layout was not to my taste.
on 10 April 2010
This book wins on its title: how can anyone refuse to have "the Bible" on their bookshelf? Unfortunately, it is quite average in the amount of *useful* information given, and too full of opinion. Sure, it is entertaining to read anecdotes. But if you need to actually get your solar and wind power generators up and working, skip this story book and get real information with something like Nigel Calder's manual.
on 21 December 2004
The title of this book should read "An introduction to boat electrics". It is a very good introduction however it will not prepare you to design, wire or maintain an electrical system of any complexity. Having said this, I bought the book when first published and found it excellent for the novice. I would suggest that after reading this volume that you continue with more detailed and advanced books. It is not a bible and one should not gain a false sense of skill after reading it. That would be dangerous.
on 24 August 2013
I was very disappointed in this book? You can clearly see the first edition of this book was written for the USA boating market! OK so I know later edition have been edited for the UK market. But very basic stuff indeed every boat / car owner should kind of know this stuff already! And not much use say for the inland waterways narrow boats in the UK today! Needs much more diagrams and advice on such as basic advice on circuits wire sizes etc! I suppose if you wont the basics this book will give you just that! But as I say little use for the Narrow boat of today I feel! Maybe we need a new book. Rated poor!
on 24 April 2014
The author says at start of book he is going to keep it simple,well he put me to sleep in the first 3 chapters, by letting me know just how clever he is, how to build a battery,ions ect, don't think he has heard of the K I S S approach, keep it simple stupid. He actually did what he says other authors do and he would not, he got too smart too complicated too fast. I do have a good knowledge of electricity,not too much electronics the reason for buying this book,way over my head,Ultimately of no use to normal man unless you have university degrees coming out of your jackets. No offense,
on 17 June 2014
absoulete rubbish and a waste of money, this is about how electric works not how or what you would use in a boat.
electrolytes and general battery information not a guide for boats at all. very disapointing read
on 18 November 2012
This book is full of information about wiring in boats. It does not give any detailed information on how to actually do the work. It did not give me the information that I required to sort out an alternator. I was disappointed in this product.
on 29 July 2010
Excellent book for anyone thinking of fitting out a narrowboat or who is having elctrical problems on a boat. Very detailed, easy to understand. Posting was also very quick.
on 23 April 2015
RUBISH DID NOT TELL ME ANYTHING
on 16 October 2014
very disappointed very wordie not what I was looking for hoped for more diagrams