on 27 September 2004
This book is obviously written by a jeweller of many years standing. I have worked in this field for 15 years and can really appreciate the very many clever tricks and solutions for everyday problems. The book is easy to get on with and not at all baffling with overuse of technical terminology, so even novices would hugely benefit from this book. There are many suggestions for ways of doing things at the bench, which the author has cleverly devised for himself, and generously let us know too! Clear, great photos, great book.
0Comment93 of 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2010
The author has been in the business for a number of years and knows his stuff. I have just started a Metalsmithing course and wouldn't be without this book for reference. It provides little projects to help you learn the skills necessary for making your own Jewellery along with some great tips along the way. The book is illustrated well and very easy to follow. I would recommend this book to anyone new to this work or those just wanting to experiment as a hobby.
on 13 May 2006
what i loved most about this book was that it was clear, consise, interesting and easy to read. in reading other jewellery books, this was the only one that talked about the different types of metals that are/can be used. a fanta tic book, well worth buying. i will certainly buy further books from the author.
thanks greatly to him!
0Comment27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2009
This book is worth buying if you are a jewellery designer, and need inspiration and some ideas to try out.
Easy to follow.
on 16 February 2009
This excellent guide to jewellery making has been ideal for a beginner like me as it sets out what I need in the way of tools and other equipment, including how to make some equipment rather than having to go out and buy it. I found the basic techniques easy to follow - good written instructions and clear illustrations. The writer is obviously highly skilled, not only in jewellery making but also in how to teach this to others.

I have successfully completed three of the projects; the technical skills gained from doing these, and the quality of the end results, have given me the confidence to start planning other projects of my own.

I disagree completely with the comment from another reviewer questioning the stone setting technique in this book. It gives step by step guidance on how to set a stone and it works.
on 4 July 2009
A good intro to some of the skills and techniques of silversmithing/jewellery making.
Well written with lots of photos plus advice on tools and plenty of 'easy' projects to get you started.
on 4 August 2009
Very pleased with the sound advice and range of practical ideas provided, the instructions are clear and easy to follow in a logical sequence. Any gaps in the written instructions are well covered by the quality photographs.
on 7 May 2012
I have used this book with confidence to create jewellery that I never thought I could attempt. This author is the real deal. He has used his years of experience and not a little flair for communication, to guide the beginner and improver alike. There is something for everyone in this book.
I you have been lucky enough to attend one of his courses, you will recognise his modest but business-like approach. He is a true teacher and generous in his intention to make what you create something of which you can be proud. This book is all you need to explore metalworking.
on 17 February 2013
I have many books on making jewellery and this is one of my favourites. It is full of really useful information and gives some easy to make tools to help with shaping and forming metal. One reviewer said that it is not in line with the training he or she received but staying rigidly to what you have been taught stultifies creativity, in my opinion. This book is great for sparking ideas of things to make and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Many of the tips are especially handy, especially when doming a ring, which is so simple to do compared to the method my tutor has been showing us, which entails a lot of forming with a mallet! The bezel setting section also provides a handy tip for preventing damage to the surrounding metal when setting a cabochon. Brillianly simple so why didn't I think of it? The only thing I would like to have seen included in this book is a list of suppliers in the UK where you can purchase metals like lead free Pewter and gilded wire as I am finding these hard to source, despite surfing the net for hours on end. I would like Stephen O'Keefe to write further, more advanced, books with projects and detailed instructions on how to make them. I'd certainly buy it. I like his style of writing as it is straightforward and easy to understand. Fabulous book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 May 2010
i bought this book based on recommendations and it exceeds expectations. the author knowledgeably covers all you need to know to start or refine your jewellery techniques, and is free with good advice to save money on expensive tools and make your own.