Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 April 2006
A throrough exploration of the varied possibilities of collagraph, this book would be suitable for any artist wishing to extend their range. Not just a pretty book, but informative and detailed with a range of contemporary print examples. Highly recommended read.
on 21 November 2008
Having never done printmaking before, I was insired by this book to make Collagraphs my Specialist Project during the 1st year of my A level Graphics and Illustration. I'm an adult and the research for this was entirely self directed. This book was brilliant - techniques explained and wonderful examples for inspiration. I got 100%.
on 18 March 2009
Collagraphs and Mixed Media Printmaking (Printmaking Handbook) by Brenda Harthill and Richard Clarke.

This is another welcome product from A & C Black's current printmaking series.

As a practicing printmaker who works in two Oxfordshire print studios, I find this book very accessible on all levels (I work with both students and professional printmakers). The content is practical, easy to grasp, is packed full of useful and interesting information and is beautifully illustrated.
I like the fact that there are essays about known working artists and their individual approaches to their work. To my mind it gets one thinking about many levels of enquiry, which is very necessary for students, as well as more experienced artists.

Catriona Brodribb
on 16 March 2009
I really like this book and think it does exactly what it says...........as a newcomer to this type of printing ,it really hit the spot for me and the illustrations are beautiful ,a real inspiration.
My only complaint is that I feel it does not show me enough of the techniques,I feel that I will have to buy another book for that but a girl can never have enough books anyway.
I am glad I have it in my collection !
on 14 July 2012
A collagraph is a fascinating form of printmaking, using collage techniques to create a textured printing surface. Surprisingly, there is very little available on the subject, which means this book corners a very niche market.

A few technique processes are shown, but to anybody not very familiar already with printmaking techniques, terminology and materials, these aren't sufficient for a beginner to follow. For anybody with access to a print studio, this is a more practical purchase.

For anybody interested in the idea of collagraph in any context, though, this is an inspiring book, full of examples of artists' work, with commentaries exploring materials, techniques, and inspiration.
on 7 January 2007
I love this book!

It contains loads of helpful advice and inspirational ideas for anyone interested in producing textured collagraph prints. I'm just getting started in printmaking but think that the guidance from this book should enable me to produce my first collagraph. The book is also challenging enough to interest someone with more experience.
on 25 May 2009
This is my favourite book in the printmaking handbook series. It gives you ideas and advice, history and comtemporary uses. Instructions, tips, material lists, artist case studies etc...

A must for any printmaker or artist who is interested in mixed media printmaking.
on 19 January 2011
I love this book, full of helpful advice and instruction. It is beautifully written and illustrated. A must for any aspiring printmaker and challenging enought for established artists who wish to try collagraph printmaking.
on 4 February 2014
Great book providing a lot of insight into how Brenda Hartill works. Often artists don't tell you how they achieved the look. After all that is their secret and differentiates their work from other artists. Brenda on the other hand is very open about how she achieves the look and gives detailed tips and instructions. She also produces a DVD and has lessons on YouTube.
on 25 March 2013
This book gives you lots of ideas on how to create a collagraph, which materials to use and techniques you can try, it's packed full of images of artists work wich is very inspiring a fantastic book very good value.