Format: PaperbackChange

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 November 2012
Monster Stones is part of a series I have recently discovered called "Science Works". These books are all meant to make science easily understood by very young children with a target audience of ages 3-6. Some of the subjects covered by this series include how gravity works, electricity, the water cycle, evolution, and of course the formation of fossils.

This may seem a bit young to be teaching children about such complex subjects, but I believe the best time to introduce these subjects is when the child asks about them. Children have a natural and limitless curiosity and a drive to learn - and I do feel children learn so much more when it is a topic that interests them. At first glance, this book may appear too complex for such young children. There is a lot of text, and a fair amount of scientific information. The author does not use very many scientific terms, instead relying on descriptions of the processes involved. Where scientific language is used, it is always explained in the text, so children will learn what a paleontologist is as they read this book, as well as the scientific name for dinosaur poo. Once I actually read this to my son, who was still 3 when we purchased this book I realised that the story like presentation, and cartoon illustration, as well as the language used make this a book that a very young child will easily understand.

This book is told as the story of an dinosaur (Coelophysis) who falls from a cliff and breaks his back, dying slowly and certainly very painfully as the tide and silt begin to cover the dying creature. It is told as if he is still aware as the fish and sea creatures consume his flesh and millions of years pass with his bones gradually being replaced by chemicals in the water, creating the fossilised skeleton. He eventually dug up and put back together to become a museum piece.

The way this is told makes it very easy for children to understand all of the processes that take place, and the story aspect of it held my son's attention very easily. It did leave him feeling sorry for the poor dinosaur though, and I could see some children being very upset by the dinosaur's suffering. While my own son coped with it well enough, and I told him the dinosaur couldn't really feel anything once it was dead - this has never become a favourite story and I suspect it is because he doesn't like the dinosaur to die. I am not rating the book down for this, it is quite simply the facts of life, but each parent must judge for themselves if they feel their children are ready for a book like like this.

In rating this book, I am viewing it as an educational text, which is the purpose I believe it to have been written for. This book does do an extraordinary job of taking complex scientific information and presenting in such a way that children can very easily assimilate the facts. It is well written, well illustrated, and I will almost certainly buy other books from the same series. The series as a whole make science part of a child's everyday life - something I think is a very good idea. This book is perfect for home education, and I could see a teacher using this even with much older children to show how fossils are formed.

Although this has an upper age limit of 6 - I feel that older children could still learn from this as well, especially ones who have not read many paleontology books in the past. At age 7, I do believe my oldest ( who wants to become paleontologist) has read far more on this topic than most children his age, - so I can't really say that he was able to learn a lot from this. Still we hadn't come across anything on the tar pits before this, so there was some new information. I expect a child who doesn't already have an entire bookshelf filled with dinosaur and paleontology books might learn a wee bit more. In addition, at age 7 he could see the humour in this more, and this provided a short easy to read text to supplement his more mature books on the subject. This book does not talk down to the reader - or engage in baby talk or any other tactic which would turn the older reader off. As a child with a specialist interest in paleontology - this isn't quite advanced enough for my oldest, but for children with more of a passing interest in the subject - or for parents and teachers just wanting to teach the basics for a science class - this book would be ideal. I think ages 3 - 8 would be a more suitable age classification.
0Comment26 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2011
I bought this book and some fossils for my 6 year old boy for Christmas 2011. He has always loved dinosaurs but is getting old enough to understand them more.
They complimented each other brilliantly and this book is educational at just the right level for children with great pictures.
Well reccommended.
on 16 October 2011
Bought this as a treat for my 7 year old grandson who is mad on both Dinosaurs and fossils! It is perfect,explains the 'making'of a fossil in simple but humorous terms. Both him and his 5 year old brother loved the comments the Dinosaur made whilst becoming fossilized.
on 20 October 2011
Bought for my five year old niece who is studying dinosaurs at school. She loved it. Could read some of it herself which was great. Excellent illustrations.
on 30 September 2011
Great book. Going to use it to introduce fossils and dinosaurs to Reception class, before we become archeologists and palaeontologists! Nice big illustrations.
on 29 August 2011
My six year old son LOVES this book! It is very informative and very well illustrated. Very educational for a child keen to learn all about fossils.
on 18 September 2013
My 5 yr old son was absolutely engrossed in this book. We read the whole thing in one go. I have bought more from the series can't wait for them to arrive. Educational with enough humour and illustration to keep young ones entertained.
on 4 March 2014
We bought this for our Granddaughter who is very interested in fossils etc. She absolutely loved the book, so much so that she "opened " up a little museum with little bits of rock etc for her friends to visit.
on 11 January 2013
My Daughter is totally amazed at Dinosaurs, so this story told in a basic level for her to understand, she is 5 and now completly understands how and where the dinosaurs come from etc.
recommend.!
on 12 February 2013
Purchased this for my stone and fossil mad 7yr old. It inspired him to collect even more stones, and I sometimes think there are more in the house than left on the driveway!