5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear speech!
Great instructions from a very experienced voice teacher - he was teaching me at drama college when he first published and this latest addition has brought it right up to date. It doesn't mention it in the book, but he recommended Alexander Technique for me which changed my life - and I go the lead parts....
Published 5 months ago by Ms. P. J. O'CONNOR

2.0 out of 5 stars confused
Published on 10 Feb 2004 by thecrimsoncommunist

2.0 out of 5 stars confused, 10 Feb 2004
This book has lots of usefull information if you wish to speak more clearly, unfortunatly it doesn't have enough usefull information. It doesn't mention anything about phonetics for example, and thus is quite useless for those who wish to work on their pronunciation. It does contain some usefull practical excercises for the most common faults in formation of phonemes. But unless you know what a phoneme is, I don't suggest buying this book. It's hard to correct your speech from books alone and if you're going to attempt it, find a better book than this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear Speech, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Clear Speech: Practical Speech Correction and Voice Improvement (Stage and Costume) (Performance Books) (Paperback)
this had some easy to put into practise exercises that I wish I had known earlier. It doesn't claim to do certain things that would for example suit a more specialised approach so I found it useful for myself and for ideas to implement for others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear speech!, 22 Nov 2013
Ms. P. J. O'CONNOR "Pen" (London UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have book!!!!, 6 Jun 2006
One of the best books for any speech-impaired reader. This is one of the few books that had helped to resolve my speech defects. For over 30 years, I had very severe speech impediments. Over the next 10 years, most speech defects were only mild and eventually dissolved. Today, I can speak with absolute fluency and more surprisingly I can sing too. My hard-worked pronunciation is now perfect.

If you're deaf, I most recommend a pronouncing dictionary (the most ideal gift for any deaf-born child). If you have some degree of hearing, then do buy yourself a pronouncing dictionary with the CD-ROM. All the pronunciations are cryptically written in IPA alphabets, each alphabet representing a certain sound, which you make with just a certain lip position and a tongue position.

A PRONOUNCING DICTIONARY IS MOST VITAL TO ANY DEAF READER - and SHOULD be introduced in every deaf school in the country. I myself went to a deaf school where the outmoded speech therapy was dreadful and abstruse. I'd never really learned any good speech there, only the approximate sounds. Only in my twenties did I really learn the basics of correct/proper pronunciations. Firstly, I learned the pronunciation of each letter - by graphic/visual descriptions of shaping lips and tongue when making sounds. It took me years to rebuild my pronouncing vocabulary - with the help of a pronouncing dictionary.
Pronouncing dictionaries help you distinguish any confusing, sound-alike pronunciations such as "such" and "search," "caught" and "cot," "sword" and "sawed," etc. And learn to rhyme words such as "beautiful" and "dutiful," "feather" and "leather," etc.
Once you have mastered IPA alphabets and speech, you can too learn foreign languages - and you CAN. I have learned oral German and French and can speak with such absolute fluency that parents have asked me to give grinds to their kids.

Your second book should be "English Phonetics and Phonology: A Practical Course" by Peter Roach. This one teaches phonetics in details - the IPA alphabets, lip positions, tongue positions, etc.
Your third and subsequent books should contain exercises for your vocal cords, tongue, lungs, breathing techniques, etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Clear speech malcolm morrison, 27 July 2011
recived the book today. very fast service. front cover has been folded but other than that, quality of the book is good.

ARRAY(0xaf60315c)